AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly my friend when that happen almost everyone who wanted a new VGA in that price ranged will have bough a 1060 or -1050- 1060 3GB that are selling for 199...

You're suggesting that within 3-4 months there will be no customers for $200-250 graphics cards.
That's just not true...

You're suggesting that within 3-4 months there will be no customers for $200-250 graphics cards.
That's just not true...
in 3-4 months(taking the bet price will be "normal' in that time) many more people will have 1060 and will suggest to their friends or community(for streamers) to get one. also the Nvidia image is much more stronger than AMDs so all of that will make that AMD couldn't compete against Nvidia is the race for selling their cards.

See below.
Oh of course! But it was Half-Life 1 with a patch, not HL2. Truform was a software-based solution after R200, due to little success it had (and even less sucess, that Nvidias competing solution had). And Serious Sam had bubble-guns too, IIRC.

Yep tessellation back then was a pain to implement specially on the art front, we had to set flags on the mesh to enable tessellation, which had to be done in the modeller, and even with that, you got ballooning and pinching. Creating the assets took much longer (making sure the assets worked as intended) and pretty much unnecessary time for the visual fidelity we got.

in 3-4 months(taking the bet price will be "normal' in that time) many more people will have 1060 and will suggest to their friends or community(for streamers) to get one. also the Nvidia image is much more stronger than AMDs so all of that will make that AMD couldn't compete against Nvidia is the race for selling their cards.

Mindshare difference already exists now, and yet AMD seems to be selling as many Polaris 10 cards as they can produce.
No one expected AMD to turn marketshare completely to their favor during 2016, so it's rather probable that the 1060 may sell more units in the end.
This year is about recovering marketshare from 2015's 20-ish % (and getting back to making profits), not about miraculously jumping to a dominant position.

Yep tessellation back then was a pain to implement specially on the art front, we had to set flags on the mesh to enable tessellation, which had to be done in the modeller, and even with that, you got ballooning and pinching. Creating the assets took much longer (making sure the assets worked as intended) and pretty much unnecessary time for the visual fidelity we got.
What games did you work on back then that you can disclose?

They are hellishly good at mining, though (trying Ethereum right now with my card. Undervolting to 875 mV, core clock lowered to 1050 and memory at 2200 is good for ~27 MHashes in a normal windows environment with damn good energy efficiency). And when something better turns up, they will end up at ebay for cheap, contributing to market share through things like the steam survey (unreliable, but still).

They are hellishly good at mining, though (trying Ethereum right now with my card. Undervolting to 875 mV, core clock lowered to 1050 and memory at 2200 is good for ~27 MHashes in a normal windows environment with damn good energy efficiency). And when something better turns up, they will end up at ebay for cheap, contributing to market share through things like the steam survey (unreliable, but still).

Whats the ROI on RX480 with Ethereum? 4-5 months?

And, meant "and 1st gen tesselation". Corrected.
Scratch that, it was 2nd gen tesselation because the Xenos had AMD's 1st gen.
I rewarded AMD with my dollars back with the 7950 was a great card at a great price. Haven't done so since. TBH I think Tahiti and Pitcairn were the last great cards AMD made (and you can still game on them fine which is remarkable). Of course NVIDIA just killed it with Maxwell and now Pascal is set to repeat that so the bar is set very high at this point.

AMD is competing with an inferior architecture and inferior process tech. It will be extremely difficult for them to catch up, just like it is in the CPU realm vs Intel. AMD needs a Zen (assuming it's good) style GPU revolution to compete with NVIDIA. And they need to drop GF asap. Hell maybe I'm wrong and GF is simply completely fucking AMD. If P10 were clocked ~300MHz higher it'd be a clear winner. Pascal would be nothing without those amazing clocks, I think even NVIDIA was surprised TBH :)

Last edited:
Last I heard it was 2-3 months for the RX480 and 4-5 months for the R9 390 series, depending on how expensive is the electricity.

Right now with ~27 MHashes per card, I'd be at roughly 50 US-$ per month edit: with the one card I own. The rest depends on your electricity plan I guess. With the rate I have here in germany where electricity is expensive and the rig I'm using for mining (175W while mining, one card - so far from optimum) I would get net earnings of about 150 EUR per year. But that's basically mining 24/7 on a regular PC, no specialized mining rig. Every 5 watt cost me roughly 12 EUR per year, so optimization would go to great lengths. Go figure. :)

Full disclosure: I'm just exploring that option, no intent to go full mining for months and months. Even though it would net some money, to be sustainable, you'd need large mining farms and hope that if one ccurrency ceases to be an option for GPUs, another would pop up in time.

Additionally, I'm with homerdog on this one: It's not worth the environmental liabilities.

And Polaris was speculated to be about a quarter late in its coming to market. Coincidence... ;)
Wat?? AMD doing 3 month burn-in to make the cards pay for themselves? :D

Last edited:
Even though it would net some money, to be sustainable, you'd need large mining farms and hope that if one ccurrency ceases to be an option for GPUs, another would pop up in time.

Which would explain why pictures of Etherium miners often show their entire car trunk full of Rx480s and/or stacks of them in pre-build pictures on location. Also happens to make it difficult for your average gamer to get one unfortunately.

Regards,
SB

How much power is your card drawing when mining?

Which would explain why pictures of Etherium miners often show their entire car trunk full of Rx480s and/or stacks of them in pre-build pictures on location. Also happens to make it difficult for your average gamer to get one unfortunately.

Regards,
SB

But AMD has only 2 smaller chips in production and they do not even have to compete with NV for TSMC wafers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back