Battlefield 1

Everyone can download the beta now. Let's see if we will have server issues because of the massive amount of players.

I made a mistake. 42% resolution scale is the native display resolution. Not 50%.

Playing STAR WARS Battlefront a few hours every week and there are not many gameplay similarities between this two. Battlefield 1 is totaly different. I like both!

Last edited:
I have connection to server issues...beta does not work, lot's of reports at EA servers...will test later again.
But conclusion: meh EA. Great first impression.

So I played this on the PC for a bit tonight:

Graphics: I guess they are fine but nothing mind blowing. Maybe it's the map. I had everything maxed out on ultra with TAA and HBAO also. Fov was 90 and resolution scale was 50%. Everything was over 70fps on a 980ti at 1600p for reference.
Sounds: Sounds were fine but not as meaty as BF games before it for some reason. It didn't mess aroudn much int eh audio settings to be fair so will have to revisit this
Gameplay: The guns don't really feel good. No real impact feel of making contact. The Sniper is way too easy whereas the LMG was quite bad.
Fun factor: Previous BF games would get be hyped up and ready for the full game! I came away pretty underwhelmed. Instead of losing hours into the beta I was mind of the clock all the time. It just wasn't a lot of fun. I will play more though and see if something clicks.
Vehicles: I'm not a big vehicles guys but they seemed ok enough

Compared to the videos and such, the actual gameplay at least in the demo didn't really get me excited for the final product. It seemed more like a SW: Battlefront game with a WW1 skin than a deep BF game. Next time, I'll split my time between BF1 and BF4 to see what I feel is missing.

Could the 'funness' be lost in translation because of the setting, and older weapons? Is the gameplay slower?

Yeah, i'm not really enjoying the beta as much as i thought i would. But i'm blaming it on the subpar map till i play more maps. Played couple rush games and those were fun.

The changes to squad orders are fantastic. If you set a defense order, you have to defend a point for 1 minute to get the order score. Attack orders are the same as before. If you cap you get the bonus. But that defense order is really important as an incentive to not just zerg all over the place.

Gas grenades are awesome. There is a flare gun you can use to spot enemies, which is cool.

The animation work is excellent. Really top notch. They even have animations for entering vehicles and switching positions in the vehicles. Pretty much any case where a person could see the player switching seats or guns, there is an animation. The movement internal to the tanks is not animated, because no one could see it. They also don't have animations for exiting some or all vehicles. I'm assuming that's for gameplay reasons.

Could the 'funness' be lost in translation because of the setting, and older weapons? Is the gameplay slower?

I'll play more to get an idea but it's the gun play that seems off to me. Maybe I've been playing modern games too long? but then again, I loved the hell out of 1943 on XBLA and CoD: World at War. We will see. The horrible map doesn't help btw.

I'll play more to get an idea but it's the gun play that seems off to me. Maybe I've been playing modern games too long? but then again, I loved the hell out of 1943 on XBLA and CoD: World at War. We will see. The horrible map doesn't help btw.

The guns are definitely not modern. The automatic guns are very inaccurate. The iron sights make a huge difference too. Some guns have difficult sights.

The guns are definitely not modern. The automatic guns are very inaccurate. The iron sights make a huge difference too. Some guns have difficult sights.

I tried using the LMG and that was a mess. Yeah the bolt actions have proven to be the best for so far. Hoping to unlock a few guns and see how they progress in feel. I didn't see others in the map owning with the LMG either.

I tried using the LMG and that was a mess. Yeah the bolt actions have proven to be the best for so far. Hoping to unlock a few guns and see how they progress in feel. I didn't see others in the map owning with the LMG either.

The LMG is very loose. You need to burst with it. One of the LMGs you can unlock is very good. First few rounds are very accurate. With burst fire it can almost fire like a rifle.

Basically, as far as I can tell, there is no gun that's ideal in all situations. It's not like BF4 where you can pick one gun and pretty much excel in any fight.

Basically, as far as I can tell, there is no gun that's ideal in all situations. It's not like BF4 where you can pick one gun and pretty much excel in any fight.

I think this is what I"m used to with BF games of the past where you can pick up just about any gun and make it work for you.

Where I find it similar to battlefront is the guns being notably different in their application.

At least we got to play yesterday before the DDoSing started

"DDOS" likely is just a codeword for "the beta is popular" and "DICE". This is what every BF launch since BF3 has been like. DICE is either incapable or unwilling to foot the cost of having enough infrastructure to deal with load at launch. BF4 was a mess for pretty much the first year. DICE / EA deserve zero benefit of the doubt at this point.

MAtchmaking forever!
Better to go in via the MP menu rather than Quickmatch. Finding games instantly via that menu.
Is it also 900p like Battlefront or are just the stuff in the distance blurred?

Last edited:
The game is actually getting ddos'd. Even fifa was down for a while. Some group that took down wow and a bunch of other stuff did it.

Last edited:
The game is actually getting ddos'd. Even fifa was down for a while. Some group that took down wow and a bunch of other stuff did it.

What a bunch of asses. Whats their motive behind it ?

I could play two games, BTW, but the scores etc won't load up and all. Guess will try later in the evening.

Back