Why Sony, why? :(

Having not seen the movie it is my impression that these are all new characters, not the same characters as the 1984 movie. But I could be mistaken?

Semantics. It's a reboot.

They replaced the 4 male Ghostbusters with 4 female Ghostbusters. And in the process made the Ghostbusters dumber, stupider, less capable (except in certain scenes where they suddenly become super human in their combat prowess, which never happened in the first movie) and less likeable.

They replaced the smart, strong (in character), and witty female secretary with a dumb, weak, and clueless male secretary.

Meaning, they not only dumbed down the male characters in the move they also dumbed down the female characters from the first movie.

They replaced relatively smart comedy of the first movie with an attempt at dumb slapstick comedy for the reboot. For instance, there was a reason and lore behind Gozer, an ancient evil, and bringing him into the world. In the reboot? Yeah it's just some, again, poor picked on incompetent male character that gets powers for...reasons.

You could go on and on about how the reboot completely missed the boat on what made the original so great. As well as the innumerable plot holes and inconsistencies.

It's a completely insulting take on the original movie it attempts to incompetently ape.

And yeah I don't need to see the movie. The response from the vast majority of fans (both men and women) of the original Ghostbusters is overwhelmingly negative with many going into intricate detail on how the reboot completely F's things up compared to the original.

The only people I've seen giving it a somewhat positive reception are those that either [1] never saw the original movie or [2] have an agenda to push or are afraid of the potential political backlash from criticizing the movie.

I have no problems with people that like it because they never saw the original. Absence the existence of the original movie it might be a decently mindless and utterly forgettable slapstick comedy. But a decently mindless slapstick comedy is a horrible insult to the original movie that it is attempting to reboot into a new series.

Regards,
SB

Different actress. This is Melissa McCarthy.

Sorry my bad, was a bit tired when I wrote that post, I of course meant Melissa McCarthy. She's been in quite a few movies over the last few years, and her brand of comedy is getting a bit old, yes we understand that she can be raunchy and do slapstick. Do something new for once...

Are you not interested in discussing this anymore (since you won't answer my question)?
are you speaking to me ? Cause no I haven't seen the movie. I wont reward bullshit with my money. I have read multiple reviews however

What characters did the new Ghostbusters movie turn into women?
U3aDpS8.jpg

They replaced relatively smart comedy of the first movie with an attempt at dumb slapstick comedy for the reboot.

Welcome to any american modern remake of any not american movie.
At this point I'm thinking that's just "Hollywood" in it's totality that forgot how to make a movie that doesn't trump

When people were complaining about how terrible the TMNT or Total Recall or Robocop remakes/reboots looked - and lots of people did - there wasn't any outcry about how it was a product of whiny entitled baby fanboys or disgusting bigotry, or about how the movies were social progress and people hating on it were on the wrong side of history.

its just
Code:
Outcry = (Nostalgia*Shitness)/Whocares?

TNMT is a beloved but diluited ip, the movies sucked, people insulted Michael Bay, but the turtles had some past bad movie, and a lot of comics and cartoon series and reboot, so Nostalgia was low
Total recall was a decent reboot of a cool but not so cult movie, the only fault was that wanted to be total recall not beying it, but generally little outcry
Robocop, same as tnmt but at least a bland but decent action movie
Avatar, beloved but not cult source, shitty and lazy and boring and generic and whitewashed movie > big outcry mitigated only by the low nostalgia value
Fantastic 4: the whocares variable is so huge that annihilates anything
Conan: medium Nostalgia, big Shitness, but compensated by very big Whocares?
Taxxi: whaaaaaaaat? you are ruining a perfect movie just to set it in newyork? unfortunatley the Whocares? is huge here
Let the right one in: whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? almost frame by frame perfect copy, so ok... but whyyyyyyyyy? here the Whocares? is big and Shitness is low, so just generic confusion more than outcry
Nikita: big Nostalgia, big Shitness, medium Whocares?, but at the time people weren't used to whining on internet

Ghostbusters: cult movies + cult cartoon + nothing ruining it for what? 20 years? Then a bland generic movie with little fun and no understanding of the original source.
From the announcment confusion and carelessness. It's a sequel! No wait, it'll be a remake! No, more a reboot! A reboot that will be a seque! No wait again, let's just say that there are ghosts.
It would have failed if they were all man, all black, all white, all marines, all scientist, all saturday night star, all smart jokes.

Welcome to any american modern remake of any not american movie.
At this point I'm thinking that's just "Hollywood" in it's totality that forgot how to make a movie that doesn't trump
You would of course have to find a not american movie that is a smart comedy...............

Ghostbusters: cult movies + cult cartoon + nothing ruining it for what? 20 years? Then a bland generic movie with little fun and no understanding of the original source.
Oh like the Dukes of Hazzard etc, now I understand why there was a huge concerted public outcry about it :rolleyes:
The problem is with the ghostbusters outcry is most of the ones being the most vocal werent even alive when it came out

The problem is with the ghostbusters outcry is most of the ones being the most vocal werent even alive when it came out

So according to this ridiculous logic, only the people who were born in 1979 or less could ever feel any special connection with the Star Wars franchise. Or Indiana Jones.

Because actually enjoying movies that released before one's birthday date is so not hipster and that's problematic, right?

I'm sorry I've hurt your pride, feel free to invade a country at choice if it make you feel better

Back