Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

PS4 Slim dimensions: 264 x 39 x 288mm
OG PS4 dimensions: 275 x 53 x 305mm

Slim is ~33% smaller (in volume), OG PS4 is similarly ~50% bigger.

Can't wait to find out how big the chip is in the slim.

Want to see if those theories about the chip not scaling as well as the X1 chip come to anything!

Can't wait to find out how big the chip is in the slim.

Want to see if those theories about the chip not scaling as well as the X1 chip come to anything!
Can't see them shrinking it and keeping the 256bit bus without wasted silicon. Maybe it's worth it to them though via cooling savings.

... And you know everything about Neo. So you can buy it now for X bucks and there is nothing to talk about
That'd be evil! "Yeah, rumours of Neo are true. Buy one." At which point some folk will believe the rumours it's 5.5 TF.

Really surprised about the lack of 4k Blu Ray support. This from the company who fought tooth n nail while bleeding billions for Blu Ray to win.
Unless Neo is pushed to the end of 2017, I can't see how anyone with the money to buy a 4K TV would buy a slim instead of Neo.

Unless Neo is pushed to the end of 2017, I can't see how anyone with the money to buy a 4K TV would buy a slim instead of Neo.
This.

It's called segmentation. Anyone willing to watch 4K Bluray movies would not buy a slim el-cheapo console to do it, if anything they'd get the bigger, more capable console.

Heck, even I, the biggest movie geek I know, stopped renting Bluray discs as it's just a pain in the ass. Let alone buying them. My heart bleeds as I know the quality is not the same (and thank god I still haven't seen a 4K Bluray movie in action, this really helps) but when the time comes, my source of 4K content will be through online providers. Just like now with 1080p content.

I feel that as dodgy, because it seems like they are talking about gaming, and not media capabilities

Thanks, it would be really odd to make the effort of shrinking the soc and not touching just de video decoder hard.

Segmentation? As london points out?

Segmentation is fine if you're living in a vacuum. If the PS4 Slim and Xb1 Slim are at the same pricing point, then it starts looking a bit bad for Sony optically.

We will have the wait and see what the price points are. I'm just a bit surprised by the one of the founding fathers of Blu Ray not taking a small step to add a good feature. I doubt the costs are astronomical. Maybe they are? again we will have to see how it's priced.

For me, who still buys blu-ray, I'd be more attracted to a PS4 Slim with 4k BR than XB1 S mainly because I'm not overly happy with how BR was handled by the XB1 before it. The gaming on the Neo has no relevance for me so I can't justify the extra cost.

I was looking forward to a cheap 4k player that would work well and figured it'd be a given that the Slim would support it.

Very unlike Sony not to support a fancy optical format. But then Sony not acting like Sony is why Sony is presently doing so well, so perhaps we should expect Sony to not be Sony-like these days?

This.

It's called segmentation. Anyone willing to watch 4K Bluray movies would not buy a slim el-cheapo console to do it, if anything they'd get the bigger, more capable console.

Heck, even I, the biggest movie geek I know, stopped renting Bluray discs as it's just a pain in the ass. Let alone buying them. My heart bleeds as I know the quality is not the same (and thank god I still haven't seen a 4K Bluray movie in action, this really helps) but when the time comes, my source of 4K content will be through online providers. Just like now with 1080p content.
I can't stand the streamed 1080p content.

Unless they really didn't shrink the SoC, not bringing HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a to the Slim is really stupid.

Scratch that, even if they didn't shrink the SoC then getting a dedicated IC with the HDCP 2.2 key that only outputs 4K video, even if the decoding is assisted by GPGPU so that the chip can be even simpler, would be really cheap for Sony.

The Slim not supporting 4K Blu-Ray, 4K Netflix etc. is just stupid.

Unless they really didn't shrink the SoC, not bringing HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a to the Slim is really stupid.

Scratch that, even if they didn't shrink the SoC then getting a dedicated IC with the HDCP 2.2 key that only outputs 4K video, even if the decoding is assisted by GPGPU so that the chip can be even simpler, would be really cheap for Sony.

The Slim not supporting 4K Blu-Ray, 4K Netflix etc. is just stupid.
I believe the info got mixed, and just means that for gaming there won't be 4k scaling and HDR output

info about games that will take advantage of neo patch would hype tons of people. Its kinda sad we have to count on leaks or rumours for such info.
Very unlike Sony not to support a fancy optical format. But then Sony not acting like Sony is why Sony is presently doing so well, so perhaps we should expect Sony to not be Sony-like these days?

My current setup requires optical in/output.I thought most headphones do.Stupid to not have this in the slim.

They better have one for neo.

Last edited:
I believe the info got mixed, and just means that for gaming there won't be 4k scaling and HDR output

I was thinking that also but then from what I've read, there's nothing in the manual stating 4k support of any sort. Still they could surprise with a Day 1 firmware update.

Back