PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DECR-1400
4_86068_2ecc58037e317n7szn.jpg
4_86068_45da88274cb74yas3x.jpg
This is the one I'm used to seeing! I've also worked with the slimmer variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also rumors about it being $450...which seems very possible to me. $450 price point let's them charge more than original PS4 launch price (which I feel like Sony would want to try to do) but not that much more.

Also slim at $299 and neo at $449 gives a $150 price gap which also seems about right to me.
IMO, there is a strong chance that Neo will launch with 1TB drive, which will push the price to $450 at retail.

Curious about PSVR support
Maybe the external adaptor and the splitter it's not included in The slim, but it is inside Neo

Has any leak hinted something?

It could explain the extra phatness

That would be incredible waste of money. They don't even know what percentage of PS4 users will use VR, and at best they could get 20-40% coverage in the next few years. By including PU hardware inside every Neo, even if it costs just few bucks. they will need to pay those few bucks for every of dozens and dozens of millions consoles.

The current way is the best. Those who want VR, can get VR and all additional processing it requires for social screen/audio. If VR takes of in a big way, they can integrate it better in PS5.

Phatness and weight is there because of the cooling.

[ After 2+ years of lurking my 1st post :) ]

In absence of Zen CPU being available, would you think it's possible that Sony could consider using 3-4 Jaguar modules (12-16 cores) instead of just 2 in OG PS4? Based on the presentations I've seen a lot of modern engines are multithreaded with job schedulers, so maybe this would be how they can improve performance in CPU-restricted games or double the frame rates?

Neo is premium PS4, there is no need to go wild with it. They just need to offer something that will provide
#1 100% compatibility
#2 noticeable performance boost

Original leaked specs [jaguar @ 2.1ghz, 4.2TF GPU] is more than enough for that [if the pricing is good].

Phatness and weight is there because of the cooling.

Bearing in mind the slim, can you clarify what you think requires that muck cooling on the Neo? I this was the original hardware I could understand, sure bigger and weighs more to hit that overclock, but with the current hardware running much cooler then I find it hard to believe it needs that much cooling, unless they are maybe going for a near silent unit maybe?

You are comparing slim ps4 which has smaller crystal with more powerful neo. Even if it uses the same crystal density the chip is bigger, so it's hotter also.

To put it another way, the latest graphics cards - are the weights double of the power is double? For example, is the GTX 1080 double the weight of the GTX 1060?

Am I over simplifiying things?

~double size and weight?

To put it another way, the latest graphics cards - are the weights double of the power is double? is the GTX 1080 double the weight of the GTX 1060?

Am I over simplifiying things?
Do we know how cool the slim is running? Because there are a lot of assumptions being taken as fact as the basis for assuming things about Neo.
Not a strong platform IMO.

It would be ideal to just look at silicon requirements and values. 4.2 TF how much cooling does that require.

Instead of using the PS4 slim as some form of solid ground.

Graphics card work in the ATX cases with their own cooling. If you place hotter chip inside console case you might need to improve console cooling so its weight might increase.

Do we know how cool the slim is running? Because there are a lot of assumptions being taken as fact as the basis for assuming things about Neo.
Not a strong platform IMO.

It would be ideal to just look at silicon requirements and values. 4.2 TF how much cooling does that require.

Instead of using the PS4 slim as some form of solid ground.

Yep, exactly. What's the power consumption of an AMD 480 at 911mhz? Maybe Neo really needs that weight (for cooling) and PSU at only 911. AMD cards aren't famous for their power efficiency.

Graphics card work in the ATX cases with their own cooling. If you place hotter chip inside console case you might need to improve console cooling so its weight might increase.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a PC case the gfx card moves the air out through the vents in the back - much like a PS4? The only difference being that the PS4 only has one fan to cool both CPU & GPU. You can also buy very small cases (my son has one) where it's littereally the size of a XBO but you can slot in whatever GPU you want. and there is litterally no space in the case. It just seems quite an extreme weight and size (and by the sounds of it power requirement) for 'just' 2.5x 3 year old hardware.

PCs normally have larger cases with several fans (cpu, psu, case, gpu). You can fit powerful board into small case but the question how will it feel there :D Another factor which should be considered is the noise level. PCs normally have it higher.

Neo is premium PS4, there is no need to go wild with it. They just need to offer something that will provide
#1 100% compatibility
#2 noticeable performance boost

Original leaked specs [jaguar @ 2.1ghz, 4.2TF GPU] is more than enough for that [if the pricing is good].

Well if they release 12 months before scorpio it's good enough....if they manage to release it 14 months ahead (aka in September) then they are even better position because they will have entire fall + next year + next early fall to generate a decent install base.

However if it gets into 2017 even as early as march i think people will contemplate waiting for scorpio. I think launching in March is bad unto itself anyway as most people make these purchases in fall.

I have reservations on that rumored weight, will believe it when I see it, but until then I think its overestimated.
If it weighs that much, I reckon it'll be nigh silent. Size and weight really points towards that, and PS4 isn't quiet when it got busy. A silent device is much more deserving of the price premium and adds another tangible benefit to its audience beyond slightly prettier graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back