PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that early on before the enclosures or hardware are finalized that development systems might be using tower cases and such.
Once the console is in mass-production, however, I could see it being a counterproductive to keep using special-order or limited quantity enclosures.

Guys stop with the "its probably a dev kit". This is it. A 5.5Tflop ps4 neo retail model. On shelves near you in next few weeks. Whats so complicated about these leaks from a lowly Chinese Foxxcon slave that you just can't see that?

XB, PS2, GC and Dreamcast devkits

zAfdYSzwTD4brj560_mnVspKm9xEd55BeF7_X3N6tAg.jpg

PS3 devkit
latest

PS4 devkit
ps4-devkit-controller.jpg

Supposed Neo design doesn't match the above.

Last edited:
I know that early on before the enclosures or hardware are finalized that development systems might be using tower cases and such.
Once the console is in mass-production, however, I could see it being a counterproductive to keep using special-order or limited quantity enclosures.
You control access to devkits through reliable means. How much would pirates pay a Foxxcon employee for a console Devkit? These things are also sold/leased at a premium to developers too, so it's not like they have to skimp on them for financial reasons.

Guys stop with the "its probably a dev kit". This is it. A 5.5Tflop ps4 neo retail model. On shelves near you in next few weeks. Whats so complicated about these leaks from a lowly Chinese Foxxcon slave that you just can't see that?
similar size and weight to OG PS3 would take us to a tdp of near 207 watts.A full RX 480 with 8 GB of GDRR5 is 170.An 8 jaguar cores cpu dont fit with the remaining watts.
Are we sure we should rule out the come back to discrete cpu+discrete GPU?.Yes, i am thinking of discrete zen cpu.

You control access to devkits through reliable means. How much would pirates pay a Foxxcon employee for a console Devkit? These things are also sold/leased at a premium to developers too, so it's not like they have to skimp on them for financial reasons.
I was focused on the case parts becoming cheaper due to economies of scale. They wouldn't need to go through Foxxcon to put the kits together with the development hardware.

Greater RAM, faster HDD (SATA controller), multiple 'HDD's (SSD for booting), needing larger mobo etc. Wouldn't fit a normal case.

Yes, the Chinese leaker said he reworked more than 1000 units a day. They cannot be development kits. The quantity is so huge

Besides if SONY tapes out at TSMC 16nm, Neo may have better power efficiency than RX 480..

Greater RAM, faster HDD (SATA controller), multiple 'HDD's (SSD for booting), needing larger mobo etc. Wouldn't fit a normal case.
Additional drives would be a good reason to have a different case. At least for the GDDR5-based PS4 the console has a choice of having both sides of the PCB populated or not, and the production model did both sides.

Certainly with PS4 and PS3 the kits that look like the retail console are test/debug kits. Shifty Geezer posted what the respective dev kits look like in comparison.

Don't understand why Sony picked the 7th when it has been pretty well known for a while that was the day Apple was doing their event.

Sony doesnt want the press focus. They want their announcement to fall into the background.

Uhm, 4.x TFlops.

If they need a bigger power connector than the IEC C7 from the PS4, it could mean the power supply input is rated above 2.5A (for international markets). This would indicate a bigger power supply than the launch PS4's 250W.

Don't understand why Sony picked the 7th when it has been pretty well known for a while that was the day Apple was doing their event.

Can't say about the day of the week, but it's been rumoured that the Neo was pushed forward from its original October release in order to steal the thunder from NX's reveal which is (also rumoured to be) during the week starting September 12.

Too many ifs, though.

Yes, the Chinese leaker said he reworked more than 1000 units a day. They cannot be development kits. The quantity is so huge

Besides if SONY tapes out at TSMC 16nm, Neo may have better power efficiency than RX 480..
1000 units a day is not a lot. The question is for how long.
Each studio will have MANY kits otherwise the bottleneck is testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4500g...that's 9.92lbs. Which lines up with leak of around 10lbs.
Launch PS3 phats were 5+ kgs, IIRC. Maybe even 5.5kg. That heatsink/fan was friggin gigantic, and there was a lot of shielding sheet metal inside that tower as well. The carrying handle of the original box for the PS3 cut my hands pretty bad carrying it just a few hundred meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back