Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Cunningham - Star Citizen/Squadron 42
0z4BtOT.jpg

Mark Hamil
3VpQjrX.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words.

Hey dude, I hope you saw my follow up - post 1156. I enjoy your posts on gaf but I have to be honest and say that I feel you are extremely negative when it comes to console exclusives.

At the end of the day look at the state of the shitty CPU's they have and the low end PC GPU's and then look at the visuals they can pump out like U4, Sunset Overdrive, Driveclub, Ryse, Ratchet & Clank, Quantum Break, The Order, Forza Horizon 2 and Until Dawn. It's absolutely incredible what developers get out of that extremely limited hardware and with Neo / Scorpio coming it's only going to get more impressive. I think you need to give console visuals much more credit than you do personally but whatever it's a free World :p.

Hey dude, I hope you saw my follow up - post 1156.
Yeah I did, no worries there. BTW, I was being pretty dry in my reaction on purpose as I am not one to take things personally, even if people are invoking my moniker on forums elsewhere (where I have been lurking for more than half a decade, hah) with negativity. So do not sweat it.
I enjoy your posts on gaf but I have to be honest and say that I feel you are extremely negative when it comes to console exclusives.
Thanks for saying you enjoy my posts. I think you may be taking my "negativity" regarding console exclusives in the run wrong light and perhaps somewhat personally? It is not necessarily negativity to point out flaws in rendering or problematic cases or anything of that sort. If you go through my posting on GAF you can see lots of praise regarding certain rendering effects and overarching goals (30fps locks, 60 fps locks, material and asset quality) for many a console exclusive.
I think this is defintely all doable in realtime given a high enough pixel count and a 30 fps lock (as the trailer is showcasing a 30fps lock) on some beefy GPU. The motion blur and depth of field there do great strides in making it look so believable on top of fast cutting so you can barely concentrate on what is happening at the visual centre of the screen.
Let's hope they release some uncompressed version of it elsewhere so we can take some screen shots of character faces and skin.

Yeah I did, no worries there. BTW, I was being pretty dry in my reaction on purpose as I am not one to take things personally, even if people are invoking my moniker on forums elsewhere (where I have been lurking for more than half a decade, hah) with negativity. So do not sweat it.

Thanks for saying you enjoy my posts. I think you may be taking my "negativity" regarding console exclusives in the run wrong light and perhaps somewhat personally? It is not necessarily negativity to point out flaws in rendering or problematic cases or anything of that sort. If you go through my posting on GAF you can see lots of praise regarding certain rendering effects and overarching goals (30fps locks, 60 fps locks, material and asset quality) for many a console exclusive.

I think this is defintely all doable in realtime given a high enough pixel count and a 30 fps lock (as the trailer is showcasing a 30fps lock) on some beefy GPU. The motion blur and depth of field there do great strides in making it look so believable on top of fast cutting so you can barely concentrate on what is happening at the visual centre of the screen.
Let's hope they release some uncompressed version of it elsewhere so we can take some screen shots of character faces and skin.

Fair enough. I'm not taking anything personally though, I have a PS4, XB1, WiiU and a 970 equipped PC so I have the best of all Worlds I just think you should bear in mind the extremely limited hardware developers are working with when you critique console games and in particular comparing them to the same games running on PC's with specs as much as 10x as powerful. Console exclusives stand up to the best PC has to offer imho (in terms of assets, character models, lighting, animation ect) but you will obviously always be able to get perfect IQ and 60fps on PC if you care enough to spend the extra cash.

I don't always know what you're talking about but I really do enjoy your posts so again apologies if my '10 hours a day' comment offended you, I can assure you it was definitely 'tongue in cheek'. I've actually thought you would make a good competitor to NX gamer and Digital Foundry if you had the time / confidence to put your thoughts / analysis into video form. I'd certainly watch your videos anyway.

All the best :).

Last edited:
I'm very dissapointed in that the latest games the humans look so fake. I had a lot of hope that the humans in, "Become Human" by Quantic Dream would break through the uncanny valley. However, the real time videos I've seen look very unimpressive.

Mega budget Hollywood movies still barely ever manage to escape the uncanny valley when trying to do humans (The latest Terminator did a pretty damn good job, but then Arnold sort of looked uncanny in the 80s himself). Kinda absurd to expect spotless results from a frame with a 33ms rendering budget afforded by a $300-400 toy. (or even a $5000 penis extension for that matter)

I think the look of Human(oid)s has improved a great deal over just the last couple of years. Facial animation in particular is just on an entirely different level right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back