Sony PS Now streaming service comes to PCs

Native PC games would be great but that's never realistically going to happen with Sony's AAA brands. Is there any difference between the PS Now presentation on a good internet connection and the native PS3 experience? I can't imagine there is since I've played full 1080p games over streaming before now with no issues. I'm more than happy with a PS3 level experience if it means I get to play these games vs not being able to.

The input lag is intolerable for me. And the graphical compromises aren't so bad on a TV at typical living room distances, but would be immediately noticeable on my PC monitor. I've tried it over at the only person I know who uses the PS streaming service..

That's probably never going to happen for any of Sony studio developed game, regardless of it being AAA, AA, or even PlayStation minis. :nope: But I imagine Sony will be paying close attention to the number of people streaming to PC/Mac that don't appear to own a PlayStation - they'll know which PSN accounts are accessed from what types of hardware.

"Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" was co-developed by the Chinese Room and Sony Santa Monica. A special case that made it onto PC. But yea, not going to happen.

Regards,
SB

"Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" was co-developed by the Chinese Room and Sony Santa Monica. A special case that made it onto PC. But yea, not going to happen.
SSM do lots of "collaborative development", I suspect the greater input is lending technical expertise - not to downplay their work. I don't recall any instances where a game was co-developed with an independent studio where that game was ever published as a Sony game, only with Sony as a publisher, and in the odd case (Rapture) with Sony as co-developer. It's clear from games that have launched on non-Sony platforms that surrendering the right to release the game on other hardware isn't mandatory but I imagine that's part of the negotiation if you want Sony's help with development or marketing. They're not a charity, so you're going to have to pay them or give them something. Maybe the soul of the first born!

That means games like the Uncharted series, Ratchet & Clank, Last of Us, God of War and plenty of others are on their way. Presumably it will eventually include PS4 games too.
From what ive heard they arnt, what it means is you can stream games from your console to your pc - whats the point

From what ive heard they arnt, what it means is you can stream games from your console to your pc - whats the point

Where have you heard that? Everything I've read seems to make pretty clear that this is the standard PS Now streaming service being made available on PC. i.e. no console needed, just a decent internet connection.

Of course that's what it is. We've been able to remote play on PC for a couple of months now already. This is the Netflix style game streaming service. And the input lag isn't bad at all. I've definitely seen worse input lag on a whole bunch of native PC games ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I used to have that PC game streaming servie, can;t remember what it was called but I think it was actually bought by Sony to form the basis of PS Now. Anyway back then - probably 5 years ago or so(?) I remember playing a few games, and in particular some rally racing game and I honestly don't even recall noticing any input lag. Image quality suffered a lot vs native PC gaming but I remember being quite surprised at the fluidity and responsiveness. And that was back when I had a much slower internet connection.

I guess results will vary by connection though. I'm on 70Mb fibre at the moment so not expecting any difficulties.

For families? If the PS4 is in the living room and the parents have company or are watching TV, the kids can continue play using a computer in another room.

In the PC Gaming forum somebody is actually arguing don't use a PC, just carry the PS4 around. Now I've seen everything. :yep2:

Depending on how accessible the PS4 is, and how old the children are, that may undesirable. PS Now is a convenience-orientated service. Being able to immediately continue gaming on another screen, without unplugging the PS4 (so not having to save, shutdown, disconnect, relocate, reconnect, boot, re-load the game and save - assuming the game has a save-anywehre mechanism) is way more convenient.

So the PC trial is available now but only in the US and Canada :( If anyone knows of a way to foll it for residents in other parts of the world then feel free to let us know!

So the PC trial is available now but only in the US and Canada :( If anyone knows of a way to foll it for residents in other parts of the world then feel free to let us know!
You can use a proxy service but I'd bet that the service is limited to North America because those are where the servers are. Throw in international lag and a proxy redirect and I doubt it would be a good experience. :nope:

Moving back and forth the PS4 from room to room means unplugging and plugging lots of cables (power, lan, optical, hdmi, USBs). Those cables also probably already tied together by itself with other cables (what's the English?)

Who uses anything other than HDMI for audio? No one in this decade. Why do you need USB cables? The PS4 doesn't support running games from external drives and the game controllers are wireless. I'd also question if anyone uses LAN instead of WIFI. So you're left with the 2 cables: power and hdmi.

Also since HDMI cables are so cheap for high quality cables, you can have spare HDMi cables plugged into your alternate locations. So you're left with just moving 1 cable for power.

Back