Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10 update stops webcams working

The update, released earlier this month, stops many cameras being used for Skype or to broadcast and stream footage.

The cause seems to be a change in the way Windows 10 handles video so it can be used by more than one program at a time.

Microsoft said it was working on a fix but has not given any date for when the patch will be available.
Changes to the way Microsoft handles updates also seem to have made the problem harder to fix. Prior to update 1607, Windows 10 users could roll-back to a previous version within 30 days of it being installed. The update cut that to 10 days giving people little chance to switch back to the earlier version of Windows 10 under which their webcams worked.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37154516

Why reduce the rollback period?! What's to gain from that?
I can imagine it related to devices with very low storage capacity, although even if true, it could've been handled in a better way. One of the big concerns for Win10 upgrades from Win8 was storage limits on 16GB machines (the effectively free SKU stuff) which enjoyed the Win8 compressed-mounted-image to make it fit.

I wager a few upgrades on those boxes effectively zeroed-out available space for users who didn't know to use the cleanup utility, so I'm sure it generated some adverse reactions. They could've been smarter with the timer; lower timeout values for storage constrained devices, longer timeout value for people with disk space left.

Can't Microsoft just add "smart" to their age old disc cleanup utility?

So instead of runs when called, make it automatically run when windows is installed in tiny partition.

How do I get the start menu to display icons ?
ztgeCw4.jpg

There was something about resetting the icon cache for people who had something like that in a previous version?

Well seems my random blank screen stuff was my GPU dying.
I lost Displayport access to my monitor, then switched back to my old 6950 -> seems to be stable so far even if I need to use pretty old drivers.

Well at least I finally have an explanation & even better, a stable PC :yep2:
Times like this its a good thing I have a bunch of old cards lying around.

This isn't necessarily a Win10 problem, but I just installed a cumulative update for Win10 and I click more info or something and use edge to view it. On the page, it said that if I want to access the individual update, I need to go to microsoft update catalog website, which when I click it, this happens...
2016-08-30 (2).png
Anyway, I just want to know what is included in the update (as in what fixes) and not just a simple stability improvement notice. Is that really a hard thing to do? Why can't they just list the bug fixes or something?

Today I ran into an issue where OneDrive folders in the cloud didn't show thumbnails of the images.
I made a folder in computer, copied the images, OneDrive synced it to cloud, I took a shared link - just like I had done many times before. But when I checked the link in the browser, I got just the general icons, not the thumbnails. It turns out some update in July-August in the backend of the OneDrive prevents displaying thumbnails when some kind of metadata is missing. No details from Microsoft. User reports differ what this mystical missing field is: some users have fixed it by entering Details, some have entered Date Taken. Many had success with neither. Neither did I, ended up using Google Drive.

During last 6 months I have seen so many bugs with Windows at work it's as if somebody is sabotaging Microsoft...

Bid your welcome to the fridges with Windows 10. It's the future, according to LG.

upload_2016-9-2_16-32-27.png

Maybe if my local supermarket was renting them for basically the same price as a normal rental fridge & that included a certain number of free grocery deliveries/mth or something.
Otherwise I see no reason it'll be any more successful than the last time they tried computers in fridge doors :nope:

I thought the comptuers-in-fridge-doors were just enormous Android tablets? Is the Win10 announcement something new?

Edit: in an effort to self-educate, I can indeed confirm LG is showing off Win10-enabled refrigerators. Article on TheVerge.com I found the following quote apt:
As LG has opted for a full version of Windows 10, you can even install apps from the Windows Store on here, play music out of the speakers, or use Cortana for voice control. While the Windows 10 Start menu blocks out the contents of the fridge behind when you use it, apps simply blend into the translucent display so you can have the weather on display while checking how much milk you have left. It's all super ridiculous and I don't need Windows 10 on my fridge, but I really want it on there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back