Formula 1 - 2016 Season

And then Kimi did exactly the same thing right after ... The first attempt was risky - of course as the presenter had said, had he pulled it off, then he would have been a hero. But he got punished plenty anyway, as he was out of the race right then and there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kimi did what and where exactly? I did miss few laps

Verstappen should go imo. He might be quick, but he is honestly a bit dumb. He apparently does not comprehend his actions and potential consequences...meh, should have gone to school and get some education I think. Get rid of him, before he or someone else gets hurt.

And yes, the only reason he is still racing is money. The rulers think that it benefits the entertainment and that he generates sufficient money.

Max is already a superstar, no way they will get rid of him. Interesting interview with him after the race, he defended more robustly against Ferrari as he blamed Ferrari for his 1st corner incident.

Whilst Max may need to work on his defensive craft he is a very good and fast racer, particularly at overtaking. I don't see him being forced out of F1. Seb though needs to stop hitting Kimi. The team should have words.

The pushing thing like the one Ver did on Rai is unfortunately, as much as I don't like it, it is pretty common and often the pusher goes unpunished under the pretense of racing line.
Personally, what needs to be stopped is Ver dodgy defending. That is really dangerous.

When you are fighting for position, isn't that perfectly legal, as long as you don't do it more than x number of times?

When you are fighting for position, isn't that perfectly legal, as long as you don't do it more than x number of times?

No, you don't suddenly move right in front of other and lift off in the middle of straight in speeds exceeding 340kph and the one behind using DRS.
Just switching lane like that could be ok (even if that would still be a little late), but he lifted off at the same time - that's how you make corpses. If there was some more crashprone driver behind him instead of Kimi, it would have ended up in crash almost certainly. And 2 cars hitting each other in 340kph+ isn't pretty.

Verstappen also told in interviews that he was on full on revenge mode for "ferraris ruining his race in first corner" - despite the fact that his move was never going to work in the first corner to begin with, and even Horner showing him the incident during red flags and telling it wasn't Kimi's fault

Niki Lauda already commented that Max belongs to psychiatry (on RTL broadcast apparently)

edit: video & rought translation of the said interview
https://streamable.com/rniq

Niki: With his stance he belongs in a psychiatry
Florian König (commentator on the left): You are being to harsh now
Niki: No it has to be said this time. Those guys are professional racing drivers. They at least respect themselves that much that they are not trying to kill each other, and yet be as competitive as possible. He (Verstappen) shows no remorse whatsoever that he did anything wrong, it is too aggressive against the other drivers. Especially when he says it is Kimi's fault. He should use his talent to win races and not waste it with such manouvers, he not only harms others but also does not win if he makes mistakes like that.

(thanks reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/4zzj0c/verstappen_says_he_doesnt_care_about_his_move/ )

Verstappens first corner incident was rather dumb. Regardless whether the Ferraris turned into him or not, diving into the inside of such a tight corner on the first lap is just asking for problems. From there on it just went downhill.

I do think he was very aggressive today, maybe too much. Then again, isn't that what we want to see? Real racing instead of people just moving over. Apart from Kaotik of course, he'd rather see all tracks equipped with a special Fin lane.

Verstappens first corner incident was rather dumb. Regardless whether the Ferraris turned into him or not, diving into the inside of such a tight corner on the first lap is just asking for problems. From there on it just went downhill.

I do think he was very aggressive today, maybe too much. Then again, isn't that what we want to see? Real racing instead of people just moving over. Apart from Kaotik of course, he'd rather see all tracks equipped with a special Fin lane.
There's a difference between "aggressive racing" and "trying to kill whoever is passing you"

My fear is that when Max will start getting punished for his "signature defending moves", it would be already too late. It may happen in case a serious accident will occur, and then I can easily see how the rules might get changed to be even stricter wrt overtaking.

Thus further watering down the sport

Last edited:
No, you don't suddenly move right in front of other and lift off in the middle of straight in speeds exceeding 340kph and the one behind using DRS.

I just wanted to point out, for the sake of accuracy, that there is no report that Max lifted on the straight as suggested by Kaotik. The reason Kimi had to brake was due to the overspeed from DRS and the slipstream (something like Max's 315 km/h to Kimi's 350 km/h) which is bad enough.

Oh and the shy and retiring Villeneuve thinks this: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/villeneuve-verstappen-getting-protection-from-fia-811480/

Jacques Villeneuve said:
“The issue is the FIA, because it looks like he's got protection,” Villeneuve told Motorsport.com. “They want him to be a star.

"Look in Germany. He weaved on the straight, so Nico [Rosberg] missed his braking [point]. They go a bit wide – Nico gets a penalty. For something even less than… and it wasn't even his fault.

“So there is something that is wrong. I don't know. It's something that makes me angry, but that's just the way it is. Twenty years ago someone would have put him in a tree.”

It wasn't a good race, but Daniel Ricciardo's overtake on Valtteri Bottas was fantastic. Bottas drove well and they didn't touch, but Ricciardo came from a long way back, didn't lock his brakes and didn't understeer into Bottas. It was fantastic and I held my breath.

In other news Button is taking a sabattical for 2017 and Vandoorne is in as a driver, and no matter how much Ron Dennis denies it, it is an insurance policy if Alonso decides to (and I hope he doesn't) quit if the 2017 cars doesn't give him the feeling he's after. Alonso thinks the cars aren't demanding enough wrt. to G forces. Let's see.

Also Rosberg has now clawed back Hamilton's lead in the championship so that was good too, and if Mercedes is as poor in Singapore this year as they were last year, it will be a very interesting race.

Like Hakkinen's ?
Button is saying that the r-word is a bad word.

Also seems like the sale of F1 is going ahead, but we've heard those reports before. Apparently it is Liberty media group or something. Let's see and let's see what happens to Bernie. At least it will be good riddance to CVC if the sport is sold.

It does not help the sport if some media consortium is taking over. I agree with Bernie when he says that there needs to be a single person pulling all the strings.

Interesting times ahead ...
Apparently new buyers want to lower fees for hosting tracks and push calendar to 25 races. I doubt it will happen next year but 2018 has a potential to be the longest F1 calendar ever.
I think change is needed in F1, will this buyout bring positive changes is hard to say, but I'm looking forward to it.

From the consumer side I can with for:
* streaming race weekends (all practice sessions, multiple angles etc...), I would pay for such a service
* better TV production (get them HDTV on board cameras already)
* better sound production (why do the current cars sound so much better on peoples mobile recordings then the actual production)

What I personally wish for:
* get back to the classic tracks (Imola, Magny-Cours, Nürburgring...)
* get back the gravel pit run-off areas ;) mistakes should be punished immediately

What the FIA should fix:
* look of the cars (2017 might still look silly with the high bulkheads, wide front wings, front wings sticking out very much at the front...)
* NO telemetry during Saturday and Sunday (maybe only black box recording, but no live access to them) -> yes, let the cars break down again
* NO telling drivers about strategy of others...
* less driver punishment of minor things...

Back