Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
NX prototype :LOL:

slide002ulszx.jpg

More like a wuublet prototype, but thank you for playing. :p

NX can't be anywhere that size, that's just not portable dimensions for a device... (If you by definition need a bag to carry a handheld device, it's not truly portable.)

And given chunk of their target demographic, school bags.

(It's not as if any of their current portables actually fit in a pocket anyway, especially not a child's one)

720p is good enough because a lot of Wii U first party games are 720p & 60fps. NX handheld may have 720p/30fps.

I still have a dream that NX will adopt 6.2" OLED since $140 smartphones already has 5" 720p OLED.

IMHO, 720p would be great for gaming in a 6.2" screen.
We want high densities on smartphones because we read lots of text in them. A game console has other purposes.

I'd rather have them spend that handful of dollars of difference between 720p and 1080p screens in a better SoC and memory subsystem.

720p would be good for mobile and docked in a living room, would be good enough as well on living room TV's at typical living room distances.

However, while home consoles are doing relatively not so good in Japan, handhelds are doing quite well.

For example, http://nintendoeverything.com/media-create-sales-8816-81416/ , where 3DS is almost double it's next closest competitor (PS4).

If we assume that Nintendo will want to keep Japan as one of it's strongest markets and expand if possible in other markets then 1080p might make sense since typical living room distances are generally much smaller than in most Western countries.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the NX screen needs to be 1080p, however. It'd still be entirely fine if the NX screen was 720p, but the hardware is capable of outputting 1080p on TVs. Although one could argue developers would then have less incentive to render at native 1080p.

So, I could see it going either way. Arguments can be made for both 720p or 1080p. If I had to bet money, I'd go with 720p, though. That would allow for overall better graphics in the power envelope and capabilities of mobile SOCs.

Regards,
SB

Wow, Reggie is in denial. Nothing wrong with the WiiU, it's people who didn't understand.

I'd say it really depends on what the expectation is though. WiiU's hardware is perfectly fine for Mario Kart and all the other derivative releases Nintendo has done through first party but it is a disaster if you want a platform to play third party tent pole titles. We don't own a WiiU but have friends and family who do, visually the games look good enough that nobody complains when using a WiiU versus a PS4 in fact I'd be shocked if they can tell a difference. There are complaints about the controller at times though depending mostly on the game....

I'd argue the real challenge for Nintendo is providing a competent online service for buying and playing multiplayer titles. The other issue IMO is the nunchuck is great for some types of games but not so much for others, Nintendo IMO needs to revisit that design and come up with something that doesn't hobble gamer's experiences or force them to invest money in 2 very different types of controllers to play the games on the platform. Its not uncommon for me to see 3 or 4 kids all fighting for the main controller because its easier to use than a nunchuck depending on the game - when the title works well for waggle though they all revert to argue over who gets what color controller more so than the big controller.

If NX has a 720P display that is probably fine, I'm more concerned about the cost of software and again the overall services and how you interact with the thing. I can't see myself paying 60 dollars for Mario Kart on a handheld, ideally they can get the games down to 40 dollars or better. Additionally if VC titles could be competitively priced as well as a way to online multiplayer they'd be more than OK especially if the hardware cost is low and drops over time. For some perspective I'd own a WiiU if it was 150 dollars but at the current price it doesn't make sense, I'm more inclined to buy XB1 or possibly invest in PSVR.

Of course the bigger problem with recent Nintendo consoles isn't that third-party games look better on other consoles but rather, a lot of third-party games have not been released for Nintendo hardware.

Ahem, this is not a thread to compare games on past Nintendo hardware. Please get back on topic.

Kthxbie!

720p is good enough because a lot of Wii U first party games are 720p & 60fps. NX handheld may have 720p/30fps.

I still have a dream that NX will adopt 6.2" OLED since $140 smartphones already has 5" 720p OLED.
Why would the NX have half the framerate of the Wii-U?Also OLED will not happen, it costs more than LCD and to the average consumer it isn't noticeable.

Wrap-up of rumors from Emily Rogers:
https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/recap-of-nx-hardware-details/
Emily Rogers said:
  • In May, I said Nvidia was involved with the system. (Source)
  • The screen is around 6 inches (6.2 to be specific)
  • The portable screen has a 720p resolution.
  • Multi-touch touchscreen (Haven’t heard anything about a stylus.)
  • 32 GB of internal storage is on the NX dev kit. (They may increase storage to 64GB for the final retail unit, but I doubt it.)
  • There is an SD Card port.
  • Dock Station has at least 2 USB ports on prototype. Not sure about final product.
  • NX will support Unreal Engine 4 and Unity engine
  • NX is below Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in raw power.
  • Dev kits and prototypes are region free. I heard retail units will be region free too.
  • Nintendo still plans to support the 3DS with software through 2018.

32GB to me means it's a handheld. I don't think (even) Nintendo would risk launching a home console with 32GB unless they're planning on completely screwing up digital distribution. 32GB eMMC + SD card makes sense for a handheld.

For their sake, I'm hoping for the dock to be a thunderbolt-esque implementation with a discrete GPU, USB/camera/IR ports and HDMI for TV output. Even if it sells separately for like $150 and only comes with a <1TFLOPs GPU (I'm picturing for example a 500 GFLOPs DMP M3200 in the handheld SoC and then a 1000 GFLOPs M3400 in the dock).

Now as for Emily Rogers herself, it seems that before the Wii U was released she came up with a bunch of "certainties" related mostly to software development that didn't become true. Among other stuff, she claimed Pikmin 3 would be a launch window title, that Rockstar was working on a game for the Wii U and Soul Calibur 5 would also appear. Pikmin 3 ended up releasing 1.5 years after the Wii U's release (hardly "launch window"), Rockstar never released a Wii U title and Soul Calibur 5 only released on the PS360.
To her defense, Pikmin 3 seems to have been delayed quite a bit. And if I was calling the shots on Rockstar, after seeing the first 3 months of the Wii U's performance I would pull the plug on whatever they were doing for the console.
That said, even though many people claim she is a very robust source I reckon this person has some very failed rumors in her curriculum so everything to this point must be taken with a grain of salt.

I still don't think there's a nvidia SoC in the final console. AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing on nvidia's official statements, financials, roadmaps etc. suggesting such a high-profile design win for a semi-custom SoC and Parker seems to be an afterthought to anything but automotive.
I definitely believe there might be a Tegra X1 in the handheld's development kits (perhaps even just a Jetson TX1 plus their own PCB with I/Os), but I think the final SoC will either be made by Nintendo with a DMP GPU or made by AMD.

32GB to me means it's a handheld.
And not the "6 inch multitouch screen"?! :p

Now as for Emily Rogers herself, it seems that before the Wii U was released she came up with a bunch of "certainties" related mostly to software development that didn't become true.
There are no certainties regards software. For hardware reputation, go only by her hardware rumour history.

And not the "6 inch multitouch screen"?! :p
Lol fair enough.
I think it's a full fledged handheld and not a hybrid like previous rumors stated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX..._a_aaa_dev_who_actually_works_with_a_real_nx/

This guy said the controller+screen had a weak SoC so that it could handle apps and mini-games that interact with the "big games" (he gave the example of the Dreamcast's VMUs and Chao Adventure), carry player profiles to connect to other docks in friends' houses etc., but the dock would be the system that runs the actual games.

If the dock was running the games, there would be little reason to compromise their very profitable digital distribution by not having a cheap HDD with 500GB or more.
If the games are otherwise fully running in a handheld, then there are space and power constraints to consider, hence 32GB eMMC + SD (+ cartridges) being the most obvious choice. 32GB isn't a lot but it's what most mid-range phones come with nowadays.

I wish we were getting leaks from more than one source, it seems like everything is coming from Emily.

We have 3ish for various bits. Emily, 2xdevs at DF and a trusted source over at Letsplayvideogames.

Could all be wrong even though they corroborate the rough form factor and tegra dev kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back