Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only acknowledged that they had not enough compelling games in the beginning and that "We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness"... whatever that means.
I took this to mean they acknowledged that they didn't explain why people should bother to buy the Wii U. Nintendo hoped they could launch a product and people would buy it because it was made by Nintendo. In days past that would happen but those days are gone and Nintendo need to make an effort to sell their hardware. To make it appeal to people.

I really disliked the talk of "rich IP" which I take to mean they're going to make more variations of Mario, Pikmin and Zelda. Nintendo see their IP as their strength, a cornerstone of their game library but I want to play new experiences. For me, their rich IP is their weakness. It puts me off. I've played that shit to death. I've literally played Mario and Zelda in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s. Four fucking decades. Create some new characters and franchises, don't put Mario in a spaceship and call it a space shooter. :nope:

Wow, Reggie is in denial. Nothing wrong with the WiiU, it's people who didn't understand.

I think the actual system was fine. The price wasn't. Its still $300. If the system launched at $250 and was now $200 or $150 it would have sold much better

Anyway new rumors

Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 5 min
1) This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth.

Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 3 min
2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.

Emily Rogers ‏@ArcadeGirl64 3 min
3) Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.

A 720p screen is promising but I think they need 1080p. Even cheap android tablets are starting to come with 1080p standard.

The 6.2inch size would make it a handheld but the buttons may be awkward for larger hands.

He only acknowledged that they had not enough compelling games in the beginning and that "We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness"... whatever that means.

I am sorry but they still don't know the main reasons why WiiU failed. He is either desperately clueless or not at all candid.
They also stated their need to create a platform that would be easy to develop for, third party relations, and creating the largest install base possible so that they third parties will want to bring their games to the system.

But those were earlier interviews

Wow, Reggie is in denial. Nothing wrong with the WiiU, it's people who didn't understand.
IAt9wjT.jpg

How much are these tablets & what battery life & processor specs?
https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.608755100

I mean just a quick search but its a 8inch 1920x1200 screen with an atom z3735f and 2 gigs of ram with a 32 gig emmc drive @ $100 usd. So while you can say the nx will have more ram and a better apu .... I don't think it would double the cost to Nintendo esp since this company and ms store have to be making money on the tablet

So while you can say the nx will have more ram and a better apu .... I don't think it would double the cost to Nintendo esp since this company and ms store have to be making money on the tablet

So you're just handwaving it off with no further analysis.

It's wrong to look at Windows tablets because MS has a reason to price them stupidly low. There's a <$100 Windows (dual boot) 1080p tablet on Amazon, but otherwise it looks like 1080p really is rare at 7-8".
BestBuy tablets. 720p is the statistical norm, very much so.

Atoms were highly subsidized by Intel weren't they?
I'm not sure if they still are

http://ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz

I mean recommended customer price is $18 but it is an older atom at 22nm .

3DS XL is still $200.

and Nintendo is rereleasing the nes at $70 or something bucks. I'm not saying what Nintendo will charge for it only that 1080p screens are not very expensive since they are used in complete devices that cost as little as $100

So you're just handwaving it off with no further analysis.
what analysis do you want ? Are there $100 devices on the market with 1080p screens that cost $100 ... Yes

According to IHS's teardown of the S7 the 2560x1440 5.1 quad hd super amoled screen costs $55. A larger lower resolution panel should cost less to make . The price difference between a 720p and 1080p screen of the same size should not be hundreds of dollars. It would be dollars , I doubt it would even go into double digits in price.

It's wrong to look at Windows tablets because MS has a reason to price them stupidly low. There's a <$100 Windows (dual boot) 1080p tablet on Amazon, but otherwise it looks like 1080p really is rare at 7-8".
BestBuy tablets. 720p is the statistical norm, very much so.

What is MS's reason ?

I doubt that tablet does anything to move the needle in market share.
Pricing high won't help MS. Both MS and Intel wanted to grow mobile market share so priced low. That's why there's a massive chasm between the pro tablets (>$1000) and the rest, which are small, budget devices. There are no mid-range Windows tablets that I can see. You have super little tablets, then convertibles and netbook-a-likes, then pros.

The price difference between a 720p and 1080p screen of the same size should not be hundreds of dollars. It would be dollars , I doubt it would even go into double digits in price.
This is a reasonable argument. The majority of cheap devices are 720p, but where they're courting tiny profit margins, saving a few dollars means a great deal. 1080p is common enough on higher end devices that it should be an economical option for Nintendo.

What's kinda scary is the number of tablets with ~1024x640. I'm sure Nintendo finds them very attractive! My iPad Mini's screen is about that and it is horrible for anything up close. Samsung recently released the budget Tab A with a similarly crap screen. If Samsung can get away with it, I'm sure N. reckon they can! :runaway:

IMHO, 720p would be great for gaming in a 6.2" screen.
We want high densities on smartphones because we read lots of text in them. A game console has other purposes.

I'd rather have them spend that handful of dollars of difference between 720p and 1080p screens in a better SoC and memory subsystem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back