Nvidia Pascal Announcement

It's an extremely dirty picture of the die. I think they chemically decapped a previously mounted die that was used for failure analysis rather than take a picture of a pre-assembled die. Unlike the German die photographer they didn't spend hours to make it piece of art.

In other words: the die had been subjected to a lot of abuse before they took the picture. Those diagonal cuts could be anything, but they're definitely not something you'd do to disable a functional block. That's something you want to do after the die is mounted on the interposer and mounted on the substrate: all those steps can result in silicon failure. You want to disable stuff as late as practical.

Maybe they didn't want to use a clean picture to prevent detailed competitive analysis.

That makes no sense. Cut or no cut, deliberate or accidental, it's an extremely precise feature - it goes from the precise corner of one block to the diagonally opposite corner. Of a block that is repeated many times across the rest of the die, so what features could be hidden from competitive analysis by doing that to that one block?

Anyway, I'll bow to superior knowledge. Perhaps it's just a scratch made by a woodscrew.

Please, consider that the line could have been drawn in PS afterwards, for some unknown reason or no reason at all.

Effectively, if you use the high res version, you can see it is not the only line, i suspect it could have been mesure lines do afterwards on the photos.

When you do a rescale of a photos, for keep straight mesurement, you create,use lines, that you know the dimensions, for been able to use thoses one as scaling. ( in 3D with blueprint, or photoshop ).

Could be just they wanted to mesure the SM size ( many will use X and Y on a square, but one line in diagonal is enough. ( and you reduce the error factor by having only 2 points on a diagonal, instead of try mesure the X and Y lines )

Last edited:
That makes no sense. Cut or no cut, deliberate or accidental, it's an extremely precise feature - it goes from the precise corner of one block to the diagonally opposite corner.
Photoshop?
There's also no reason why the SMs should have a brighter shade of green than the surrounding logic...

Of a block that is repeated many times across the rest of the die, so what features could be hidden from competitive analysis by doing that to that one block?
I'm not talking about the diagonal line but the quality of the die shot in general.

Anyway, I'll bow to superior knowledge. Perhaps it's just a scratch made by a woodscrew.
Haha! I bow to superior sense of humor.

Just talked with a tech manager from leading AIB of Nvidia in China, according to him:

GP102 will be the top end for Nvidia's Titan line until 2018 where volta is likely replace it.

Volta will be a "revoluationary new design", more so than G80, and may not called geforce anymore.

Gaming/consumer version volta gpu will still be shipped with GDDR5x or GDDR6 if it is ready by then, HBM will remain to be an exclusive feature for their HPC line.

Yeah I doubt they will drop that name, maybe change prefixes or suffixes that's about it.
But remember NVidia dropped both the GeForce and GTX labels for the new Pascal Titan X. The annoucement and the product page both carefully label it "NVIDIA Titan X". The Maxwell card was carefully labelled "GeForce GTX Titan X". But of course, amusingly, the card itself has a lit up "GeForce GTX" logo on it. I'm not teasing (much) again about the duplicated Titan X naming we've all rolled our eyes over, but instead consider that this matches LiXiangyang's report that the GeForce and GTX tags may be depreciated for some cards, since they certainly have been, deliberately, for Pascal Titan X.

The last leading Pentium was the Pentium 4. That marked a point where AMD was most effective and various missteps brought negative attention to the brand, which may have provided some impetus for a refresh of perceptions.

Geforce doesn't seem to be on the retreating edge at present.

Geforce doesn't seem to be on the retreating edge at present.
No, but the brand is kinda age-worn, and as mentioned, it's always been cheesy too. It's a deliberate misspelling of a technical term, which originated in the 1990s. That's a long time ago by now.

Now we have these pretty people.
galax-geforce-gtx-107kpu6a.jpg

Damned those Pascal GPU are making the GPU in my Alpha old too fast. If the rumors are correct wrt to the 1050 (gp107?), it will put the gm107 in my setup to shame, it should also provide more than the console provide for cheap and possibly in laptops.
Good new for budget gamers not for me though.

Back