Doom [PC]

Been playing the game with the cinematic mode and no hud, i think it looks fantastic. Definitely a viable way to replay the game :)

Very screenshot friendly as well!

Edit: Got some today

28227250393_7120065948_o.png

28224699584_2faffa4be1_o.png

28842051085_bfb52beb7a_o.png

Last edited:
I got it from the -50% steam sale last week. Solid performance and looks great. It's great old school fun as well. Good job ID.

Looks really nice, 60Hz, solid gameplay what else to ask ? ;)
(Not bought it yet, I know lag 2 years behind to reduce expenses on tertiary stuff like games ;).)

Yeah without a proper save system I'm not planning to get this game until I can get it for less than 10 USD on sale. The thought of Doom with just a checkpoint save system annoys me more than I thought it would.

Regards,
SB

Yeah without a proper save system I'm not planning to get this game until I can get it for less than 10 USD on sale. The thought of Doom with just a checkpoint save system annoys me more than I thought it would.

Regards,
SB
To be fair I was worried too, as I've has issues with auto saving games in the past; forgetting to pick up ammo/ armour, or thinking I could go back later, only to find a door shut behind me and the autosave to kick in.

In Doom however, the only instances I got annoyed with the autosave was the boss battles, rule of thumb is if it's all quite and you see some BFG ammo, pick it up pronto :p

The game is so much fun, you really shouldn't miss out.

Steam is currently pulling down a 12 gigabyte patch for me - errrr... Why? :p What's going on here? :D Not that this really matters to me - I'm on a 200mbit/s unmetered connection so all this costs me is like 20 minutes of time or so, I just don't know what could warrant this massive a patch, that's all.

Maybe I'm behind the times and this patch came out a while ago, I dunno. I got the vulkan patch on day one and it was pretty big, but now another gigantic patch? Anyhow, I no longer run steam all the time because I realized that if I shut steam down my HDDs will be able to spin down and make less noise and emit less heat. Not sure what it is about steam that makes my drives spin up all the time or even stay spinning constantly even when I'm not running any steam titles, but it ought to stop. It hasn't though, not for years and years, and I finally had enough a good while back now actually. Maybe a year? *shrug*

I'm hoping I will now be able to run DOOM in vulkan mode - game hung on me with the previous driver I used. Haven't run it yet *touches wood* because aforementioned patch download interrupted me. :)

It's possible that it's due to the way id does pak files, the same thing happened with Rage. Steam's patching system replaces files, it doesn't patch an existing file. So if you have slight changes to 3 files and each of those files are 4Gb, then you need to download 12Gb. Stupid isn't it?

Stupid isn't it?
I thought their vaunted "steampipe" download system was supposed to fix that. But what do I know, eh! Lol.

Anyway there seems to have been game updates since I last played. There's hell snapmap stuff (which I haven't looked at yet at all) and new multiplayer dlc too. And there seems to be SP updates on the horizon as well, or so the main menu hints at anyway.

I did the third (reactor) mission today, after trying to find all the secret shit on mission 2, but after falling down chasms a few times too many it seems the game decided I should only be allowed to exit the map, and locked the doors leading into the final AI computer chamber area from the outside, so I couldn't get out. Dunno if that was a bug or not (I re-loaded, and there was no change), but fuck do I not love checkpoint saves or what! :p I don't even understand why devs do forced checkpoints, it's so goddamn lazy.

Yeah yeah consoles. But keep the checkpoints THERE then. Don't shove it down my throat...

Other than that, this game's pretty amazing. The upgrades system is a little awkward, in that if you're great at the game it gets easier (you get more upgrades, letting you kill faster/better), but it's kinda neat and interesting too. Hopefully one can get fully upgraded well before the endboss so one can enjoy being awesome for a bit... Heh. I can't aim worth a damn tho. It feels as if there's quite a bit of latency in aiming (I can visibly see screen updates lag behind my mouse actions), not sure why that is. I suppose I have to accept tearing and disable vsynch completely. I had it on the adaptive setting, but even though I was pegged at 60 I got tearing. Not good. Heck, even with vsynch enabled I get tearing, but it's confined to the lowermost part of the screen so I rarely notice it. Maybe something's kinda wacky with vsynch in DOOM (and with vulcan enabled, on AMD driver); I dunno.

Gotta go outside now though. It's a lovely day and I'm missing it. Blah...

I did the third (reactor) mission today, after trying to find all the secret shit on mission 2, but after falling down chasms a few times too many it seems the game decided I should only be allowed to exit the map, and locked the doors leading into the final AI computer chamber area from the outside, so I couldn't get out. Dunno if that was a bug or not (I re-loaded, and there was no change), but fuck do I not love checkpoint saves or what! :p I don't even understand why devs do forced checkpoints, it's so goddamn lazy.

You mean Foundry? The doors locking would be intentional. If you want to search for secrets, just load up the mission again (or save it until rip and tear is all done); it won't save checkpoints for a mission you are replaying though.

The game remembers to continue where you left off in the campaign if you decide to go back.

Last edited:
Ugh, the more I hear about the save system, the less interested I become in the game. Especially as I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite again and it only has a checkpoint system as well. It's infuriating not knowing where it last saved when you want to stop for the night. I quit the game last night and evidently I'm going to have to redo a section that took me a few minutes to get through.

Thank goodness the recent Deus Ex: appears to have a good save system. I'll be picking that up way before I pick up Doom I think. Shame. I still can't believe they made the choice of a checkpoint system.

If you are going to do a checkpoint system, do something like the Dark Souls series. Dark Souls 3 saves every like 4 seconds or something. Doesn't matter when you quit, you'll always be put back right where you left off.

Regards,
SB

You mean Foundry?
Well... No. lol

I described that terribly, I admit. I was actually on... Uh, whichever mission comes before foundry. I had autosaved near the exit (after speaking to the AI and hearing the reactor's overheating). First time I did this I returned out of the computer complex (the front doors weren't locked then), roamed the level and tried to find secret areas. Could not find out how to reach the armor bonus which is locked inside the room near where you find the chainsaw. You can see the dead elite trooper in his red armor through the windows, and there's a small opening up the opposite wall (with a green rim around it), but I don't know how to reach the duct which leads to that opening.

Anyway, then I fell down a chasm, and decided to call it a day for the time being. So today, after getting vulkan mode working properly on my system I thought I'd do some playing as well just to check out how the game feels now. (Very...twitchy.) I loaded up the autosave, then went back to where the armor bonus is, tried again to get inside, failed, faffed about, fell down the same chasm again. HOKAY! So... Don't go there first, now. I went in a different direction, spotted another secret area, found that. Apparantly autosaving in the process without realizing it. Went back to the Chasm of Doom and fell down it again. Autosave loaded from the latest secret I found. Fell down the chasm yet again. Now autosave loaded back in the computer complex instead, for whatever reason, and the doors out to the rest of the level were locked this time, when they hadn't been before...

*shrug*

So I exited the level instead without trying to find the last few secrets (because can't get through the locked doors - I don't think IDCLIP works anymore, sadly...)

Btw, aren't we supposed to have double jumping in singleplayer, or is that just for multi...? Or do you get it further into the campaign perhaps? I've only done three missions so far.

Well... No. lol

I described that terribly, I admit. I was actually on... Uh, whichever mission comes before foundry. I had autosaved near the exit (after speaking to the AI and hearing the reactor's overheating). First time I did this I returned out of the computer complex (the front doors weren't locked then), roamed the level and tried to find secret areas. Could not find out how to reach the armor bonus which is locked inside the room near where you find the chainsaw. You can see the dead elite trooper in his red armor through the windows, and there's a small opening up the opposite wall (with a green rim around it), but I don't know how to reach the duct which leads to that opening.

Oooh... You might recall a certain door that was locked
when you picked up the yellow key
off of a zombie near that one weapon upgrade bot

hm... I don't actually recall if the doors were locked after speaking to Hayden and getting the first Argent Cell. Whoops.

Anyway, then I fell down a chasm, and decided to call it a day for the time being. So today, after getting vulkan mode working properly on my system I thought I'd do some playing as well just to check out how the game feels now. (Very...twitchy.) I loaded up the autosave, then went back to where the armor bonus is, tried again to get inside, failed, faffed about, fell down the same chasm again. HOKAY! So... Don't go there first, now. I went in a different direction, spotted another secret area, found that. Apparantly autosaving in the process without realizing it. Went back to the Chasm of Doom and fell down it again. Autosave loaded from the latest secret I found. Fell down the chasm yet again. Now autosave loaded back in the computer complex instead, for whatever reason, and the doors out to the rest of the level were locked this time, when they hadn't been before...

*shrug*
hm... I think you're in that chasm just before the chainsaw room? There's a button somewhere that'll help you get to the second floor. Different thing from the above secret.

Or?

Having trouble remembering any spot where you can fall easily. :s You're not talking about outside, are you?

Btw, aren't we supposed to have double jumping in singleplayer, or is that just for multi...? Or do you get it further into the campaign perhaps? I've only done three missions so far.

Keep playin.

Last edited:
Oooh... You might recall a certain door that was locked
when you picked up the yellow key
off of a zombie near that one weapon upgrade bot
Uhhh... No. I haven't played any DOOM for like, months, actually. I've little memory of the game prior to where I am now...

hm... I don't actually recall if the doors were locked after speaking to Hayden and getting the first Argent Cell. Whoops.
They didn't lock the first couple times I resumed right from that point. Very strange! ;)

hm... I think you're in that chasm just before the chainsaw room?
It's the big chasm room with the two cargo elevators you can stop with the button on the nearby console. There's a raised platform above you, before you reach the elevators, with some shotgun ammo inconveniently located on top of it. I think that counts as yet another secret area. I was trying to reach it by jumping from the upper cargo elevator to the raised arch and then planning to walk/jump from it to the raised platform.

I jumped too far or too short every time. Or maybe you just can't stand on top of the arch. It seems wide enough to, but...computer games! In Quake 2 and many other first-person games, you can't cross any barrier higher than slightly above knee height. Logic doesn't follow the same rules as in the real world unfortunately.

Keep playin.
Ok, I will. :)

Btw, can you get the rocket launcher on Foundry level somehow? Cuz, there's an ammo pickup there on a walkway which I don't recognize which rather looks like a stack of rockets in a metal container.

Btw, are there any cheat codes in the PC version? Sadly these seem to have been nuked out of existence ever since consoles became powerful enough to run PC games... The sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein was impossible to play for me, I got bored with all the respawning enemies, I just wanted to iddqd idfa and massacre them all, but...you can't. :(

Uhhh... No. I haven't played any DOOM for like, months, actually. I've little memory of the game prior to where I am now...
Ah... Well, that should be a hint enough now that you have to replay the level :p

It's the big chasm room with the two cargo elevators you can stop with the button on the nearby console. There's a raised platform above you, before you reach the elevators, with some shotgun ammo inconveniently located on top of it. I think that counts as yet another secret area. I was trying to reach it by jumping from the upper cargo elevator to the raised arch and then planning to walk/jump from it to the raised platform.
Hm... Ok, yeah, that side might not actually count IIRC. There is a crate near the second level platform on the left ( facing the room when you first enter) partway along that where you could try to jump up. I recall it's a weirdly difficult jump up to grab the railing.

Jumping up the stalled elevators should easily bring you toward the walkway above the chainsaw room though (opposite side of canyon where the button is).

Btw, can you get the rocket launcher on Foundry level somehow? Cuz, there's an ammo pickup there on a walkway which I don't recognize which rather looks like a stack of rockets in a metal container.
yup. It is a secret room somewhere on the lower level iirc. There is a set of maintenance corridors with zombies ( also where you might explode three with a barrel explosion for the one map bonus challenge) Map-wise, it should be beneath the blue door area, but you dont't need keys. Keep searching those corridors for a room.

Last edited:
Back