Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

I am not sure it's just visual fluff, even if I agree it would be a perfectly good reason... It looks like the bottom part of the front provides an air input cavity in front of the ODD, and there might be the antennas between the USB ports (so they need some space beyond the shielding) The part in the back seems to be necessary for clearing the HDD cage?

I hope Ito-san will give another extensive interview about their design philosophy, the one about airflow theory was epic, I wish I spoke japanese. Translations are so difficult to read.

I am not sure it's just visual fluff, even if I agree it would be a perfectly good reason... It looks like the bottom part of the front provides an air input cavity in front of the ODD, and there might be the antennas between the USB ports (so they need some space beyond the shielding) The part in the back seems to be necessary for clearing the HDD cage?

I hope Ito-san will give another extensive interview about their design philosophy, the one about airflow theory was epic, I wish I spoke japanese. Translations are so difficult to read.
And the slanted part on the rear could provide sufficient space in order to efficiently expel hot air in the dangerous cases when the console is inside a TV cabinet, particularly for the 150W phat. But that's just a theory.

There is also the buttons on the left, maybe it's the antennas that are in front of the ODD, while the right part is airflow cavity for the fan that cannot afford the nice height advantage from the original PS4. That would make more sense, and it could explain why the USB ports are weirdly separated like this, the round air shroud might reach the middle.

I love the form and light of the original PS4, don't much care for this new model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The IHS analysis of the BOM will probably provide some answers, they have more expensive memory than xb1, similar SoC size, and a bigger psu. So if they reached for a competitive 299, there aren't many other places to cut costs than cosmetic and simpler molding/assembly.

I wonder if Neo will be doing the same thing to reach a lower price point.

I have to say when I first saw the slim it looked too simple, but it's growing on me. The newer shots in better lighting make it look a lot better.

I was the exact same when I first saw the PS3 slim (not the super slim, I still think that one looks butt-ugly), I thought it looked worse than the OG PS3, but it turned out to be my favorite PS3 model.

I think I still slightly prefer the original PS4, but we'll see.

Widths compared:

EgZN4x8.jpg
PS4 slim seems a bit of a stretch, how about PS4 Short

It adds a charming appearance.
Hm, if you say so, but personally I can't help thinking it makes the console look like a doorstop! :p

And the slanted part on the rear could provide sufficient space in order to efficiently expel hot air in the dangerous cases when the console is inside a TV cabinet
That is of course a consideration worth taking into account, but don't you think cables attaching to the rear would serve much the same function, had the connections not been recessed down into deep pits as is the case with PS4 Phat? ;)

The Wuu has these little bumps protruding at the side with the air intake that prevents you from sliding the console up to a surface so close that the intake is blocked (and which rather cleverly also act as anchors for the vertical standing legs one might add.)

So what are you guys thinking could be the form factor for the Neo?

I'm 100% sure it will be a different shape than the original PS4.

I have a feeling it will follow the shape of the slim, but obviously bigger

So what are you guys thinking could be the form factor for the Neo?

I'm 100% sure it will be a different shape than the original PS4.

I have a feeling it will follow the shape of the slim, but obviously bigger
  • Similar to slim, maybe with capacitive buttons
  • Larger than original Ps4 by 15-25%
  • Better finish than slim, looking more premium

I need more Neo leaks, we're so close to the reveal yet still not a scent of possible final specs. That extra 3cm layer of PS blubber does invite more flops tho.

It is quite strange that we'd get so many leaks about the Slim (which didn't even exist until 2 minutes ago), with final hardware pics, boot up etc. While the Neo, which was actually announced quite some time ago, still is nowhere to be seen.

Double-Rainbow-What-Does-This-Mean-.png

It is quite strange that we'd get so many leaks about the Slim (which didn't even exist until 2 minutes ago), with final hardware pics, boot up etc. While the Neo, which was actually announced quite some time ago, still is nowhere to be seen.

Double-Rainbow-What-Does-This-Mean-.png
Exactly, PS Slim is controlled leak confirmed?
Because they'll still packing in as many flops as they can until 7th September :)
This strangely reminds me of traveling overseas and packing as much shit into the luggage as possible right up till the departure date.

I don't think Sony is leaking this, here's two theories.

Conspiracy Theory:
A Sony marketing team anonymously selling it on an online auction site, not caring who would buy it. Reducing the impact of the unveiling.
While Eurogamer have a history of journalistic integrity, this time they manufacture a Streisand Effect, lying their ass off about fake legal reasons. It was Sony who orchestrated it all, while insinuating the video could cause legal issues to Eurogamer.
Sony makes a secret deal (which itself also never leaked) with only one UK retailer, with early production stock.
Somehow other retailers don't care about not being allowed to do the same, and being stuck unable to sell their remaining stock of fat PS4 because of the leak.

Occam's Razor Theory:
It's obvious this is in full production, and it's been accumulating in warehouses all over the world.
The first could have been stolen from a warehouse or from a store. ("fallen from a truck")
Eurogamer knows it was stolen, so for legal reasons they removed the footage being used for the investigation.
Or Eurogamer went to see it faking they were interested in buying it, filmed the private house, and realized it's illegal to put the footage online without the consent of the person.
If there is a criminal investigation about the theft, it isn't being made public until an arrest is made.
The UK retailer is simply breaking the launch date getting massive publicity, like some often do for games.
The price wasn't announced yet, allowing the shady retailer to sell it at the current non-slim price.
Someone broke NDA, and will get legally fucked.

Last edited:
Back