Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Yup, game is still very pretty. My hero shot from the start of TTK campaign, far from lvl 40.
destiny_2016081419254ceqlx.jpg

Rise of Iron will be first nextgen-only release of Destiny, so hopefully visuals will go up. As for Destiny 2 next year, sky is the limit. :)

It's always been a underrated game visually, insane detail. I posted a video that kinda shows some of the details you usually miss in PVP

Anyways if they up the graphics much, I am not sure if they will be able to stay at 1080P on XBO which would be a bummer. Considering originally they were planning on 900P on Xbox until MS helped them. I suppose with iterative consoles though this is less of a concern, get Scorpio version when it comes.

I like that flaming wolves titan set. Hope its not Raid gear but it would.anyeays be ahigh level activity reward and i will never get it :(

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I dont get the whole armor sets thing. Mostly because it seems like you need to mix and match to get the perks and attributes you need anyway.

It's hard enough to find a good set of tier 11 (dont care about 12 since 11 is usually easy and 12 is hard) with longer grenade throw, correct primary loader, +rocket ammo/sniper/whatever you need boots and chest, chest with +subclass armor...intellect and discipline+a dash of strength. Then to find all that in MATCHING armor seems impossibly. Especially when you start giving priority to green high tier armor. Then of course you introduce the infinite variations needed for PVE and different subclasses too.

The way they handled armor sets in this game so far is super confusing and annoying more than anything. Especially the whole "tier 12" business is actually pretty annoying, as it adds yet another layer to screen for. I cant just dismantle legendaries anymore, I have to check every one if they're tier 12 first.

I see a few people looking awesome in seeming full sets of armor, but I have no idea how to go about getting those really, if it's even possible with all the caveats. Then for the Spektar armor they have spektar, spektar infinite or whatever, they have so many kinds, then desolate...it's just annoying confusing IMO.

Dont know what they need to do about it but it needs help IMO. I guess just as I write this, the only way is probably transmog. That would actually be neat, do some difficult feat/quest/grimoire, and you get rewarded with ability to transmog (hate that word) a full set of armor. So then you can make your good armor also look however way you like.

Last edited:
Yeah, so? That doesn't really change anything in my comment...

It still makes me go through another step of checking every random new armor in a app before deleting, instead of just deleting if it doesn't have the perks I want. Of course I dont HAVE to do that, but I feel compelled too.

One of the apps will look at EVERY armor you have anywhere, and give you various tier 12 builds. You can also lock certain pieces, I know I pretty much always want my ATS8 on my Arc hunter in PVP, so I can lock that. I realized the more "green" pieces you have, regardless of strength/Int/Dis, the more options and flexibility it has to work with. So in theory I decided to keep all my greens, even many yellows, regardless of rolls.

All that and I dont run tier 12, it's a pain and VERY marginal benefit. I just run tier 11 as that's usually not difficult asnd better than tier 10. But ok, it gives me maybe 5 seconds less cooldown on my melee. with my playstyle I rarely melee. I wonder how many actual increased kills will that get me, ever? 1 every 1000? Even that many?

But like I said tier 11 makes me feel better and is typically pretty easy anyway.

But the original point stands, it's stupid but it kinda annoys me. I could just ignore the whole thing, but some OCD part of me it would bother I guess. Having to look at an app and refresh it for every single new armor to see if it's green and I shouldn't delete it is frankly annoying.

BTW I just picked up 1TB Seagate Hybrid laptop HDD, it was on sale about $70. Put it in USB enclosure. I think some article showed some much faster XBO load times in some cases with this very drive.

I guess I will move Destiny to it when I have the time and see if I notice any loading difference or speed difference.

I have to say I'm a neatness stickler and I dont love this external thing dangling off my XBO, regardless of it not being a huge deal.

I only had maybe 6 games on my HDD and it was perennially pushing 98+% full. And although I mostly only play Destiny, I mean I dont want to delete something like MCC (80 GB alone I think) and have it not be there if I get a hankering to play it sometime. Modern gaming...

Yeah, so? That doesn't really change anything in my comment...

It still makes me go through another step of checking every random new armor in a app before deleting, instead of just deleting if it doesn't have the perks I want. Of course I dont HAVE to do that, but I feel compelled too.

One of the apps will look at EVERY armor you have anywhere, and give you various tier 12 builds. You can also lock certain pieces, I know I pretty much always want my ATS8 on my Arc hunter in PVP, so I can lock that. I realized the more "green" pieces you have, regardless of strength/Int/Dis, the more options and flexibility it has to work with. So in theory I decided to keep all my greens, even many yellows, regardless of rolls.

All that and I dont run tier 12, it's a pain and VERY marginal benefit. I just run tier 11 as that's usually not difficult asnd better than tier 10. But ok, it gives me maybe 5 seconds less cooldown on my melee. with my playstyle I rarely melee. I wonder how many actual increased kills will that get me, ever? 1 every 1000? Even that many?

But like I said tier 11 makes me feel better and is typically pretty easy anyway.

But the original point stands, it's stupid but it kinda annoys me. I could just ignore the whole thing, but some OCD part of me it would bother I guess. Having to look at an app and refresh it for every single new armor to see if it's green and I shouldn't delete it is frankly annoying.
Tell me the app

I just don't think it's such an issue but then I use a iPad with a telescope stand next to my potato couch seat to play Destiny all the time. So it's just extra info which is readily available as much as in game menus.

BTW I just picked up 1TB Seagate Hybrid laptop HDD, it was on sale about $70. Put it in USB enclosure. I think some article showed some much faster XBO load times in some cases with this very drive.

I guess I will move Destiny to it when I have the time and see if I notice any loading difference or speed difference.

I have to say I'm a neatness stickler and I dont love this external thing dangling off my XBO, regardless of it not being a huge deal.

I only had maybe 6 games on my HDD and it was perennially pushing 98+% full. And although I mostly only play Destiny, I mean I dont want to delete something like MCC (80 GB alone I think) and have it not be there if I get a hankering to play it sometime. Modern gaming...

Ahh what you need then is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T76ZGDO/?tag=b3d-21

Slick and does the job well enough, not had an issue with mine also with a 1TB sshd, well until I sold the console and got the S version, now it's languishing unused.

Tell me the app

Destiny Item Manager. That I know of. In Chrome, click the graph icon at the top. It's pretty slick, not sure if any other apps do it I dont believe my other main app Tower Ghost does. It seems pretty sophisticated.

I just don't think it's such an issue but then I use a iPad with a telescope stand next to my potato couch seat to play Destiny all the time. So it's just extra info which is readily available as much as in game menus.

Yeah. One better, i've used a laptop with Destiny most of the way. LFG, Guardians.gg, Destiny Status (Grimoire), Destiny reddit (various easy reference guides), Ghost Hunter, DIM, Tower Ghost, Destiny Tracker, just some of the pages or apps I often have open while playing.

Ahh what you need then is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00T76ZGDO/?tag=b3d-21

Slick and does the job well enough, not had an issue with mine also with a 1TB sshd, well until I sold the console and got the S version, now it's languishing unused.

I recall worries that thing blocked exhaust vents, and isn't it an unauthorized power-sucker? Good to hear it worked for you I guess.

I recall worries that thing blocked exhaust vents, and isn't it an unauthorized power-sucker? Good to hear it worked for you I guess.

Not an expert on either point but..., I know on the left of the console is a whacking great optical drive blocking airflow, the device has ventilation on the rear third so if there is airflow behind the ODD then it will get through ok.

As for power it's a simple USB device and I assume USB complaint, I cannot see how it can be a worry from that point. I don't think you can run an internal drive and then use the hub usb3 ports for another external HDD, but USB media sticks work perfectly together.

This guy replaced his XBO HDD with a 256 external SSD. He doesn't do any scientific testing but he shows himself going into inventory pretty fast in Destiny...

I forgot to even notice if my inventory was faster with my Hybrid. I did move Destiny to it.

Problem with a straight SSD on XBO was it doesn't have TRIM, right? That's one reason I got the hybrid. Hope I made the right choice.

That 256 GB SSD he used is only 94 bucks on Amazon which isn't bad. About what the Hybrid I got normally costs, although I paid ~70 on sale.

Problem with a straight SSD on XBO was it doesn't have TRIM, right? That's one reason I got the hybrid. Hope I made the right choice.
For years SSDs have done their own garbage collection regardless of the host device's filesystem supporting TRIM, so it's all good :yes:

TLDR TRIM still better, but not required.

If you substitute "better" for "preferable" and proviso the statement with "when it works" then I agree. The problem is TRIM bugs, and there always seems to be another fix for some bug. The reason TRIM bugs are so prevalent is that data integrity bugs are usually picked up by big data users (where I work) combing through ZFS data integrity logs and reporting these to manufacturers when certain error thresholds are breached, but few big data users use SSDs in the type of volumes we do HDDs

The problems with TRIM are the reason why on-drive garbage collection is now ubiquitous.

Sorry for O/T, the point is you'll be fine with a pure SSD if you decide to go whole hog and throw money at the problem. It's just a shame neither of the consoles let's you reap the full benefit form SSDs like a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I did a little looking, and for major name brands SSD Crucial/Samsung/Intel, it seems price is still a bit restrictive. It looked at newegg like 256 gig-ish SSD'd start at ~70, same I paid for my 1 TB Hybrid, but then again 256 GB isn't a ton of storage space, you would basically have to limit it to 3-4 games on the SSD (after all the overhead) and even in conjunction with the original 512 drive, space could be a concern. OTOH 512GB class SSD drives appeared to start at 120-130, double what I paid. So I'm still happy with my hybrid for now.

/OT.

Back