NPD July 2016 Sales Results, Results Ranked by Revenue (Hardware Now, Software Later)

Rangers

Legend
Hmm, I guess NPD has gotten even weirder. I didn't realize they are now doing the software, physical (for participating publishers)+digital, on the 3rd Thursday of each month. So we wont get a top ten software chart until August 18.

Yet somehow they are still releasing hardware numbers, the 2nd Thursday?

Aqua is taking her sweet time as usual, so no real hardware numbers. Greenerg tweeted XBO was the top selling console of the month (MS doesn't include handhelds). We also know 3DS beat XBO. Oh and Cosmic Queso hinted it might have been a very slim XBO victory over PS4 (possibly 7-10k margin)

Amazon remains undefeated.

Not sure how to handle thread then. I guess probably post the hardware numbers on the 2nd Thurs whenever they come, then the software chart when it comes sounds reasonable.

Dont know why NPD wouldn't just combine into one reporting date.

Edit: Numbers

eWLV0q5.png

Last edited:
Very weird indeed.

Maybe it takes an extra week to correlate the digital data from the publishers for some entirely stupid reason?

I suppose we spawn NPD Monthly thread when we have the hardware numbers and then fill in the software sales numbers the following week.

Yeah, NPD is getting less and less useful. Revenue is a relatively meaningless number and doesn't really tell you anything in isolation. Especially once you start adding in digital sales. At least first month physical sales numbers gave a general idea of how many people were interested in the title. Although past the first month even those are useless as there's no way to account for used sales.

It's like NPD are trying their hardest to make their reports as useless as possible for anyone that isn't a paying customer.

Regards,
SB

NPD is often boring since whoever sells the most consoles probably isn't beating the other by a ton anyway.

What's interesting this month is that it shows the Scorpio announcement didn't tank Xbox One sales. Of course, the price decrease contributed to that too.

Good point made on Chartz forum, last month the average prices were $298 for XBO and ~350 for PS4. This month they dropped to $258 for XBO and still ~350 for PS4.

So basically discounts increased almost $50 for XBO in July over June. To almost $100 less than PS4.

This could be spun as pretty horrible for MS, and I cant really deny that. However, the one caveat I can think of is you could surmise people were looking forward to Slim or even Scorpio/Neo, so it's a wonder they sold any. It'll look a little better if S win August closer to full price (although then the rightful reasoning will be they only won on introduction of the S). At some point a "win" is a win.

I have this as the 6th time XBO beat PS4.

December 2013
November 2014
December 2014
April 2015
October 2015
July 2016

Interestingly, XBO came very close to topping PS4 a few other times. Although for that matter IIRC at least one win was also by a sliver (now two I guess).

Going by Amazon the month shouldn't have been that close. Amazon XBO biased :oops:?

Last edited:
Good point made on Chartz forum, last month the average prices were $298 for XBO and ~350 for PS4. This month they dropped to $258 for XBO and still ~350 for PS4.

So basically discounts increased almost $50 for XBO in July over June. To almost $100 less than PS4.

Sony must be making a lot of money per device sold. I'm really interested to see pricing once Neo arrives.

It's a lot easier to sell more of something if your main interest is freeing up shelf space and not profits ;)
Lol honestly not much they could do. No reason to buy the Bone when the Bones are coming in way to replace them.

I doubt they managed to sell them all off either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed the WIIU ASP is $297, much higher than the much more powerful XBO. There's that screen for you.

Software up. Everything down, down, down. Man this industry is hurting. Bright spot is XBox+Ps hardware LTD continues to outpace predecessors +41% gen over gen (though I guess even that could be thought to be due to the Wii sized hole left this gen). It isn't like these YoY comparisons were from strong starting points anyway, EG, last July would have been weak to start.

With digital we start to see more evergreen titles like Destiny and Rainbow 6 Siege charting though

Overall:

July retail game sales are down 14% year over year.

Hardware was down 30% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were down 5% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales were down 12% year over year.

Software:
  1. Grand Theft Auto V
  2. Overwatch *
  3. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Monster Hunter: Generations **
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  6. Minecraft **
  7. NBA 2K16
  8. Doom 2016 **
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
  • *No Battle.net sales
    **No digital sales
Notes:
- “The best-selling new release for the month was Monster Hunter: Generations for the 3DS; but that sold 52 percent fewer dollars than last July’s new game, Rory Mcllory PGA Tour, which released for the PS4 and Xbox One,” said Naji.
- “The lack of strong new releases for the month resulted in a poorer comparison year-on-year, and the top 10 games for July 2016 generated 21 percent fewer dollar sales than they did last year.”

Hardware:

3DS: #1 platform
XB1: #1 console platform

Notes:
- C-C-C-Combo Breaker
- “The average price of the Xbox One fell by 30 percent compared to July’15; this helped the platform become the best-selling [current-generation] console in terms of units sold for the month,” said Naji.
- “Declines in the average price for the 2DS by 33 percent resulted in a five-fold increase in unit sales for the 2DS to 78K units,” explained Naji. “The 3DS also saw an increase in unit sales of 18 percent, making the combined 2DS and 3DS platforms the best-selling hardware for July 2016 based on units.”
- “After 33 months since the launches of the PS4 and the Xbox One, the combined cumulative hardware sales for these two consoles exceed the sales of their predecessors by 41 percent at the same point of their lifecycles”

Last edited:
Wow so MS is selling the XBO 100$ cheaper than the PS4? Are they making any profit on the hardware?

Wow so MS is selling the XBO 100$ cheaper than the PS4? Are they making any profit on the hardware?

I'd venture to say no. You'd have to read between the lines on the next fiscal report to get an ideal how much lowering the ASP reflected in the revenue.

Also, this is without kinect and way less powerful than the PS4 so they can't exactly justify similar pricing.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on the ASP as the Slim model becomes the primary console in circulation.

Slim will jack the ASP back up this month for sure. The main question revolves around longevity of any sales spike. Can it maintain.

Too be fair it was pretty much literally a clearance sale. I guess normally the difference is 50.

Back