Full page adverts

I usually use Tapatalk so it's fine e with me from a usability point of view. If you could enable something obnoxious that'd be great. It'll force me into the desktop site and pay my dues. ;-)

(Plan to when I'm back at home. B3d is one of my more regular forum reads)

you probably has opt out from Google targeted ass.
Maybe, I honestly can't remember since it was so long since I was in my goggle settings, but they should still be able to target ads from the contents on this site. After all, they have as a business model to spider the whole friggin internet (or as much of it as they allow themselves to anyway, heh), and I assume Rys does not have a robots.txt that bans spidering b3d forums... :) It would sort of go against the purpose of this forum, I would think.

Just pay, people!

For me personally, B3D has been the only forum I've used in the last - holy crap it's 14 years??? - and given the amount of time I spend on here, and more importantly the amount and quality of information (which I do my best not to lower too much with random innuendos here and there), it's a complete no brainer.

here here. I gave $30 last year I believe, going to try to give the same again this year

Yes. The difference is, these are from Google. So they may way less obnoxious than the full page ads we have now. And if Google's full page ads do take off, there is hope that they will replace some way more obnoxious ads that are there already on sites that do use full page ads. Or at least that sites that do introduce full page ads introduce Google's well tested ads, and not some homegrown implementation.

I wouldn't say that. I've completely stopped using some game related wiki sites due to the full page Google ads. Either that or have to put that site into restricted mode so it doesn't execute any javascript, but that makes some sites un-useable. So I just stop using the sites in question.

BTW Rys, what are the domains for the ad services you use for B3D? I've been thinking about unblocking those so you can get some ad revenue from me, but it's going to depend on which domains they originate from. I have quite a few domains blocked due to occasionally getting maliciously crafted web content being served from them.

Regards,
SB

Honestly, I think I'd just prefer you kept blocking the ads. The upsides to Beyond3D are far outweighed by the positives you get from blocking the ads: faster page loads, more privacy, more safety.

Don't compromise that to give the site a small amount of money. Give the site the money directly if you can, but don't worry about it if you can't.

I will always cover the shortfall in revenue via ad income, and the site's bills, and I much prefer to wean the site off of advertising if I can.

I usually use Tapatalk so it's fine e with me from a usability point of view. If you could enable something obnoxious that'd be great. It'll force me into the desktop site and pay my dues. ;-)

(Plan to when I'm back at home. B3d is one of my more regular forum reads)
You have cheap in your name so if you hadn't procrastinated to pay your dues it wouldn't have been right. :smile:

Could you give a couple of examples (links to sites)?
Because I've never even seen a full page Google ad.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_of_Efficacious_Toxin

This isn't full page add, but it's similar. It completely blocks out most text until you skip the survey or do the survey. I can't remember if this is one of the sites, but on some sites it'll do it on every single freaking page. This site at least is somewhat useable still with javascript disabled so I still go to it from time to time whenever I feel like playing D3 again.

Regards,
SB

You have cheap in your name so if you hadn't procrastinated to pay your dues it wouldn't have been right. :smile:
Good point. Maybe I should leave it another decade! Probably been lurking about longer than that. Was definitely the pre x360. It's been excellent value so far!

I sub'd before the current system (which is presumably why I'm not listed listed as on the subs page but why I have the badge of honour) but would be really like to be able able to sub through Patreon as I use that a lot :yes:

Hey, I know I'm new here, but I saw this thread by chance when I was looking around at random. I don't know how the site looked like before, but I can't say that I mind the ads. Just wanted to give a tip about affiliate networks, and how that might be of help. If you don't know what it is I'd recommend this article that explains how it works. Basically, they can help you find advertisements that are matched to your audience, and could help us as gamers, geeks or nerds to find products we like. If you need a source of income, at least make it something that we as visitors might like :)

I've seen that this seems to be a popular form of revenue stream for many forums and websites, and at the same time not showing ads that are compleatly off their target group.

Back