No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

I don't quite understand, did you not initiate that dialog when you first started playing?

Yes, but when I was searching for the antimatter I was sent to a crashed ship - when I got there, there was no ship...which I thought odd, then I got the question again so I figured it must have been my original starting point.

I'd like to add, I have no sympathy for people who buy into hype and drop $60 on a game via preorder, or after ignoring reviews, and then proceed to complain about it.

The lesson here is to never preorder and always wait for reviews.

Last edited:
Did you learn by past mistakes?

@quantum break
Decided I'm going to preorder.

@sunset overdrive
It was one of the few games I've been willing to preorder.

Myself I dont see why anyone would want to preorder, we all know most games release in a semibroken or fubared state, Its logical to wait a couple of months get a better game at a cheaper price to boot

I liked Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive, but I've been burned before and I'd never recommend pre-ordering to anyone. I like that you actually dug through my post history to try to score points like an asshole, when you could have just asked me if I'd ever preordered games, or had recently, and I would have said yes.

If you want examples of games that I preordered and felt burned: Crackdown 2 (the worst game I've bought ... maybe ever), Battlefield 4 (great when it worked but broken as fuck), Killzone 2 (huge pos letdown).

Last edited:
Why were people convinced that a studio that put out a small downloadable game with very limited scope could actually deliver on all of this?

Also shame on the gaming media for always over hyping previews and passing on every developer dream as it's absolutely going to happen. They're a huge instigator into creating the hype.

Except bungie and naughty dogs games. Their games are good and the pre order incentives also good, and it also works even if pre ordered just a couple of days before release

I like that you actually dug through my post history to try to score points like an asshole.
, well it wasnt much work, ~20 seconds (FWIW there is search on this site, top right of the page)
when you could have just asked me if I'd ever preordered games, or had recently, and I would have said yes.
Much slower to get the same info.
Dude, ppl in glasshouses etc.
Asshole?, perhaps, or perhaps you feel that way cause dont like getting called out

, well it wasnt much work, ~20 seconds (FWIW there is search on this site, top right of the page) Much slower to get the same info.
Dude, ppl in glasshouses etc.
Asshole?, perhaps, or perhaps you feel that way cause dont like getting called out

Get called out for what? Pre-ordering? In the 360 days, I probably pre-ordered 90% of the games I bought. I pre-order less and less. I've been burned. I bought Crackdown 2, which is pretty much one of the worst games I've ever played. Never said I hadn't done the same thing. Just said people should be wary of pre-ordering, and that I have no sympathy for people who waste their money on pre-orders. People can and should laugh at me for pre-ordering Crackdown 2. It's a turd, and it's my fault for not waiting for any reviews or user feedback before getting it.

Angry Joe review is rude, but spot on with many aspects. I liked the game and I got the platinum. But after 10 hours the superficiality starts showing, I continued trusting the narrative would advance, it never did after 30 hours of gameplay. They removed features at launch because they were confusing to some players or maybe plainly didn't work, I can sympathize with that. It's a project so much bigger than such a studio could make, it's already an exploit the game exists at all. Narrative brickwall is less excusable. I side with a faction and fuck all ever happened.

I have a very good track record buying games I like, for the last 20 years. Blanket statements about not trusting anything other than reviews is bullshit, as I got much more games I loved by dismissing reviews, and trusting that the game is a genre I usually like, and the studio previously made games I enjoyed, or the game designers presented a very interesting concept. I am not mad as I took a chance which I sometimes do. My experience is that most game reviewers don't understand shit about games that aren't already their fetish genres, and they are rushed to write their reviews. Trying to get a concensus from them is stupid unless you are part of that crowd. I am not.

This game absolutely looked like a modern successor to StarFlight-2 from early 90's, it's all I was hoping for, renewal of a forgotten genre. I can't recall any game which wasn't what the game designers interviews were showing in direct gameplay videos (at least no game I ever bought). I expect they will add more depth, but this should have been a $30 game and everything would be fine. I was very surprised when I saw the price tag because this was obviously from a small indie studio. Impulse buy, that's my fault.

Still hoping they are working on all the features they talked about, but the writers are (at the point I am in my decoding of themes anyway) intellectually bankrupt. I would need to be blown away with complete theme reversal to accept whatever happens at the end game. Getting to the center just to see the ending is so tedious I gave up. I am only 1/3 of the way, shitty maths punishing my advancement, and have the platinum. Fuck it.

I don't regret buying it, but the game deserves some criticism. Hopefully they will deliver what they wanted to do with NMS2.

Last edited:
I'd like to add, I have no sympathy for people who buy into hype and drop $60 on a game via preorder, or after ignoring reviews, and then proceed to complain about it.

Well I didn't pre-order and nearly missed out on the LE because I didn't Personally I have not read or seen any reviews (I rarely do these days) - I watch streams of people playing, and from that I went from 'meh' to 'actually this looks great' to desperately trying to get the LE version. I'm 25-30 hours in, only just going to hyperjump but loving it, sure I was getting a little frustrated at the lack of antimatter but I was still enjoying it.

TBH if I didn't play any more I'd still be happy, I've played through Uncharted 4 in less time and that cost the same so...

@MrFox Reviews come in many forms. There are user reviews (official or just forum posting), and even watching a twitch stream is a form of review, if the streamer is commenting on what they think of the game. You're still finding a way to inform yourself.

I guess the main thing is we've probably all been Peter Molyneaux'd at some point, but then someone else comes along and builds their game up the same way, and access journalism is happy to oblige, and we just eat it up. It's the lesson that gamers, myself included, have difficulty learning. Don't pre-order. Wait and let someone else be the guinea pig. If you pre-order, you're taking the risk that the game sucks, and that's on you, because we should all know about hyping games by now.

I think Angry Joe is a dink, but the video is enlightening in terms of how hyped and over-promised the game was. It was worse than I'd actually known. I'd only seen the colbert interview and the main reveals at the game shows. The hype job to the smaller press is probably the worst of it, and I'd never seen it before. It's not impossible that the game is fixed, or that a sequel could be better, but after watching that stuff there's absolutely no way I'd ever gamble on it. I'd want to see extensive feedback before I invested my time or money.

Yes, you need us, we who buy the games at launch and tell you about it! Even then, you'll never know if you pass on a game you would have liked. You can only speculate and feel good about yourself, thinking you made the right call, but you'll never know.

The above videos are cherry picked bad reviews. So far there are more positive reviews than negatives in the main press. Hype or not the public is split 50/50. What do you tell half the gamers who genuinely love the game? Should they have read reviews and not buy it?

Yes, you need us, we who buy the games at launch and tell you about it! Even then, you'll never know if you pass on a game you would have liked. You can only speculate and feel good about yourself, thinking you made the right call, but you'll never know.

The above videos are cherry picked bad reviews. So far there are more positive reviews than negatives in the main press. Hype or not the public is split 50/50. What do you tell half the gamers who genuinely love the game? Should they have read reviews and not buy it?

No, just inform yourself and if it looks like something you want, then buy it. It's the difference between seeing what it is and just hoping it's what they told you it is.

I posted earlier that I thought the game would probably be more well received if it was $30 and less hyped, without changing anything about the game. I still think that's true. Expectations mean a lot.

There are still things that appeal to some people, but the split and the backlash is pretty epic right now. The intensity of the backlash is purely because these people pre-ordered and sunk their money into the hype. After all, if you bought the game after it came out, and you could easily see what the game was, there'd be no reason to be upset. You'd be buying into something that appealed to you.

For me personally, so far the game delivered way more than I expected. But I guess my expectations were more realistic than most. I'm about 10 hours in and only did one hyperspace jump. Haven't had a single issue so far. The sense of discovery is really nice. About the only thing I am not currently a huge fan of is that *every* planet seems to have some form of alien or robotic presence. But of course I do understand that it would be cumbersome to have to jump into hyperspace to be able to sell the stuff you discovered, and early on in the game you'd want players to have access to the 'tutorial' stuff ... It's hard to find good trade-offs in that respect, but it does seem that there is variation here too, the second-last planet I discovered was almost completely barren had barely had any drones either, and that was just my fourth planet. We'll see where things go from here, but I am happy with my purchase for sure. Really happy to have this modern day version of Elite. ;) And I think the game holds up quite well against those other two current space games, despite for being from such a small studio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, just inform yourself and if it looks like something you want, then buy it. It's the difference between seeing what it is and just hoping it's what they told you it is.

I posted earlier that I thought the game would probably be more well received if it was $30 and less hyped, without changing anything about the game. I still think that's true. Expectations mean a lot.

There are still things that appeal to some people, but the split and the backlash is pretty epic right now. The intensity of the backlash is purely because these people pre-ordered and sunk their money into the hype. After all, if you bought the game after it came out, and you could easily see what the game was, there'd be no reason to be upset. You'd be buying into something that appealed to you.

There were plenty of preview videos, including a series released during the last two weeks leading up to the release. Anyone who had casual interest could find out what the game was about, if anything the game has more than the most people anticipated. The backlash is just a witch hunt led by people who don't really give a damn about the game in any fashion. It's a proxy for the console wars. People are scouring hundreds of hours of videos for any changes from pre-release to release. Most normal people don't watch all those videos and memororize a list of things, then buy games and check the list. That is great for Reddit fanboys, but that's not how consumers work.

Too bad that witch hunt has infected this thread. It would be great to leave game threads for those who bought and play the game and let them discuss it in piece. But someone has to win and someone has to lose.

There were plenty of preview videos, including a series released during the last two weeks leading up to the release. Anyone who had casual interest could find out what the game was about, if anything the game has more than the most people anticipated. The backlash is just a witch hunt led by people who don't really give a damn about the game in any fashion. It's a proxy for the console wars. People are scouring hundreds of hours of videos for any changes from pre-release to release. Most normal people don't watch all those videos and memororize a list of things, then buy games and check the list. That is great for Reddit fanboys, but that's not how consumers work.

Too bad that witch hunt has infected this thread. It would be great to leave game threads for those who bought and play the game and let them discuss it in piece. But someone has to win and someone has to lose.

I think there's a bit of that,It's a 4/5 on the PS Store right now and I can imagine a lot of those were pre-orders and what I will say is more people are likely to complain about something than rave about it...so all-in-all it's doing ok...however maybe PC gamers are harder to please (@50%) but then it did have a lot of technical issues on PC.

What I will say is that watching the (edited) videos a lot has changed in the last few months (as in taken out) - who is to blame? We may never know, I think the game was hugely ambitious and Hello Games (small studio) were under great pressure to get it out...I think if it'd been cheaper there would have been more leway it does seem like there will be more stuff added that potential was supposed to be in the full game. Personally I think they should have gone for the Elite thing of 'core game @ £30 then £10 for for each add-on - or something like that.

Back