Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

Almost all 1080p HDMI TVs have optical or digital out. So, connecting the TV to the Amp is all you need if your amp does not support HDMI.
Besides, S/Pdif does not support HD audio, and you need HDMI for that.
I know, it´s a loss, but i dont consider this a catastrophe.
Unfortunatly those who really need, will have to buy something like this.
But not all TV support hdmi to optical pass through. Most cheap TV only support LPCM and stereo Dolby output via optical.

I know it because it was a nightmare when I'm buying my TV a few years ago.

From CNET article, it's sony and Vizio. The only TV thst is rather consistent in supporting proper hdmi to optical audio.

Slim will be lower than that. I expect it to land at around 65-80W.

According to Digital Foundry, CUH12xx console peaks at around 116W.
Yeah I suppose it would suck if it's anywhere near 105W. I saw max power of cuh1200 at 122W depending on the game though.

So using cuh1200 as a reference instead (122w/230w) would place the slim around 92W for a 175W psu. Anyway it's not exactly a good method. :LOL:

Considering gddr5 has higher power consumption than ddr3, and ps4 has 40% more GPU to feed which is the bulk of power drain, it would be logical if it's significantly higher than XB1S which is 70W according to DF?

Last edited:
I really don't get why people think this is ugly. I think this is the best looking slim in par with PSone.

Mainly I guess because they are using that rough looking matte finish that screams "cheap". They also did this on PS3 slim.

That and the rounded edges dont look as svelte IMO.

Thats just speaking too looks though, it's probably a perfectly viable strategy to make an ugly console that has price advantages over a prettier one. AKA, if a pretty PS4 slim would have cost 299 but the ugly one can come in at 249, then the ugly one is surely better.

BTW this PS event is getting a lot of coverage, I wonder if it behooves other console manufacturers to do the same? Stand alone events like Apple.

Well, it probably wouldn't have worked for MS this year. You probably need more than one product to announce, and Xbox S was timed for E3. Scorpio's announce date may have been more malleable, but that's only one product. I guess they could have announced the controller design labs or something too?

1.84TF beauty where it counts.

1.4TF lipstick on a pig.

(I soon might have to make these jokes in haiku, terseness needs practice)
LOL. If 0.4TF is beauty where it counts and a lipstick on a Pig. I am really enthused to hear about your thoughts on the difference 2TFs is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. If 0.4TF is beauty where it counts and a lipstick on a Pig. I am really enthused to hear about your thoughts on the difference 2TFs is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same percentage? If Neo comes out at the same time at a higher price, but with a slick plastic... same joke applies.

It's also not serious at all, you bunch of stuck ups. :p

But really, I don't see a big difference between trailers of PS4 and XB1 third parties, so I don't think it will matter either between Neo and Scorpio for most people. It's more of an emotional thing for gamers. The gaming news will use it to impact the market and it will have some influence against Neo (this happened this gen, it was real but a little overblown), ultimately nobody cares unless it's a WiiU situation.

Last edited:
That'd be great! But are you sure it still doesn't ask for an external HDD if you start that transfer?
Edit: apparently as there is still the old Backup and Restore selection, the Transfer Data from Another PS4 does just that, no extra HDD needed, Yay!!

So how does it work (don't have access to 4.0) ? Like an iMac, you connect the old and new PS4 to your network, select the transfer option and data from the old one is over the network copied to the new one ?

London-Boy wrote "optical audio", most probably for multi-speaker surround using Dolby Digital AC3 or DTS.
I'm not so sure that most TVs have an optical out (my 50" 1080p plasma doesn't AFAIK) and I'm also not sure all the ones with optical can pass-through those compressed proprietary signals or if it's just for stereo PCM.

Optical out is rare. Coax digital audio for SPDIF is ... thank God .. still in. I hate HDMI ARC, it just doesn't work all the time. Interoperability sucks. E.g. my Onkyo receiver supports ARC, but you get issues like TV off (when you listen to e.g. the radio) => Onkyo goes off as well.

So how does it work (don't have access to 4.0) ? Like an iMac, you connect the old and new PS4 to your network, select the transfer option and data from the old one is over the network copied to the new one ?
Don't know, I was just assuming that is the case based on the photo from 4.0 fw in earlier post.

so i cant simply

1. plug a new HDD to USB
2. Press TRANSFER
3. replace the internal HDD with the new HDD, extracted from USB enclosure.

just like Xbox 360. Actually it is easier in X360 if you use official microsoft HDD (no need to extract the HDD from case)

so i cant simply

1. plug a new HDD to USB
2. Press TRANSFER
3. replace the internal HDD with the new HDD, extracted from USB enclosure.

just like Xbox 360. Actually it is easier in X360 if you use official microsoft HDD (no need to extract the HDD from case)

What's simpler than;

1) connect 2 consoles with ethernet
2) press transfer

??

If one wants to just replace the HDD, that needs to be done via an external usb HDD.
Backup to external hdd - restore from external hdd to a new hdd inside PS4.
I think you still can't just move data from PS4 direct to the new hdd you're going to put in that same PS4.
Anyway, this is getting off-topic, maybe better place would be the 4.0 fw thread.

But not all TV support hdmi to optical pass through. Most cheap TV only support LPCM and stereo Dolby output via optical.

I know it because it was a nightmare when I'm buying my TV a few years ago.

From CNET article, it's sony and Vizio. The only TV thst is rather consistent in supporting proper hdmi to optical audio.

Well, there are more. My LG supports passthrough perfectly as my AMP detects the diferent audio types.

Here is a list of some TVs and their support. Its small though, but a lot more models are able to do that. My 55 inches LG is not in this list!

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

If one wants to just replace the HDD, that needs to be done via an external usb HDD.
Backup to external hdd - restore from external hdd to a new hdd inside PS4.
I think you still can't just move data from PS4 direct to the new hdd you're going to put in that same PS4.
Anyway, this is getting off-topic, maybe better place would be the 4.0 fw thread.

I see, yes - I thought we were talking about moving from current to slim or Neo - it would be nice to be able to transfer then stick the external into the PS4 but I guess to do that you'd need Sony to produce a proprietry HDD solution so I'd rather it be as it is and have the flexability of choosing exactly what HDD I'd like inside my PS4 and save a few quid for the sake of an extra step of transfering my data back.

Any chance they are going to announce new PS move?

I found somebody selling refurbished PS move for 15 dollars each and there's only 2 stocks left :/

Back