Movie Reviews 2.0

Hahaha! Yeah, I guess that would have to be it! The full extent of the appeal...

Oh, and that he wasn't as easily fooled as the other, more gullible bounty hunters I suppose; Robot Scrap-Heap, Crocodile Feet, Badbreath Bigteeth, Whatsisface, Watstheotherone.

yep but there was also a cleverness along with the crass humour, its lacking in brothers grimsby
for example "ive been shot in the shoulder by a poison dart you have to suck out the poison"
"ow ive just been shot in the testicles"

ps: ive just got the suicide squad dvd (2 disc collectors edition no less) I hope its good
The poison dart scene is oscar worthy. SUCK AND SPIT

Last night I watched The Nice Guys, what a great movie!

I love Shane Black, every movie he's made has been great. His entire schtick is the buddy-cop mentality he infuses his scripts with, and I love the banter between the main guys. I know I am in a minority, here, but I even loved his Iron Man 3, because it showcased that Tony was able to handle himself without the suit.

Anyways, back to this movie, the chemestry between Gosling and Crowe was incredible. They worked really good with each other as a bad guy and a worse guy (I won't say who's who though). Who knew that Russel had such great comedic timing? Absolutely loved the movie, even if it had some flaws (the blue guy). 4,5 out of 5.

Sing Street

It's 1985, pop music and music videos are the big thing for kids in school, so our hero Conor tries to woo a girl by offering her a role in his band's new video. Then he has to get a band together ASAP...
We really liked it, some scenes are hilarious, some are heartfelt, the music is good, some of the kid actors are amazing (however Littlefinger wasn't doing much). Especially recommended for anyone who likes '80s music :)

Last edited:
Sing Street

It's 1985, pop music and music videos are the big thing for kids in school, so our hero Colin tries to woo a girl by offering her a role in his band's new video. Then he has to get a band together ASAP...
We really liked it, some scenes are hilarious, some are heartfelt, the music is good, some of the kid actors are amazing (however Littlefinger wasn't doing much). Especially recommended for anyone who likes '80s music :)

Oh, I saw that one last week, LOVED it! I heard about it via The Schmoes Know Movie Show over at Youtube.

Despite loving genre films, my wife had never seen all of Aliens. [emoji15]

Finally persuaded her to watch it over the weekend. Predictably she thought it was great.

I hadn't seen it myself for about a decade, and never in HD. Still ranks as one of my favourite sci-fi action films. Or films for that matter. The characters and ramp up of the story are great.

Bought Batman Vs. Superman Ultimate Edition yesterday on 4k BR. Didn't watch it in 4k tho (due to lacking every link in the necessary chain of hardware between disc and my eyes, lol... ;)), but standard BR is excellent image quality as well, so there's nothing to complain about there really.

This was a really fucking awesome movie, I would say. Really, really good. Really! Never saw the original theatrical cut, but my mate did, and he said the movie was about 30 minutes too short, which this edition remedies. It flows great, most characters get enough screen time to breathe and distinguish themselves, and never does the movie's tempo stall and become bogged down in exposition or sentimentality or lost in irrelevant sidetracks. Excellent direction, excellent cutting. There's one sequence I would have snipped for time which is a reprisal of the same sequence earlier in the movie, but that's pretty much it.

If this movie is "too dark", well shit. Gimme some more dark then, with seconds of dark on top just for kicks, because this is great stuff. Much better than the awful Watchmen. The one niggle I have is Batsy
going batty, apparantly out to just straight up murder Supes by impaling him with his kryptonite spear when Louis barges in
; what's his motivation there? What reasoning does he have for his actions? I don't really understand the hate. *shrug*

But when did it ever make sense to have superheroes wailing on each other? :LOL: It's a superhero comics trope, you just have to accept it and roll with it as a cost of doing business I suppose... :LOL:

Luthor was a cool character too. A little too over the top maybe, I don't know. Don't really understand his motivations either, other than maybe "lol, insane!", but whatever. Badguys get off easier with a murkier driving force than the hero; after all, when it all comes down to it their job is merely to be evil, and whatsisface young-ish actor here did a quite splendid job I feel. Also, the senator with her jar of peach tea, where have I seen her before? I recognize the voice from somewhere even though I can't place her face...

Heck, even Batfleck was pretty great in his role. I am almost ready to forgive him for the abomination that was Daredevil! ;) Kind of like Armin Shimmerman making amends later on for fucking up Ferengis in their first outing, heh heh!

SFX was great, even though there's some situations with Batman obviously being too strong really for any sort of normal human being, throwing crates and grown men around like they are ragdolls. But hey - it makes for some flippin good action sequences too. And yea, he totally kills a couple guys early on in the movie too, even though no killing is supposed to be a thing which is really important to Batman. *shrug*

Soooo, 8.5 (or even 9, if ignoring the few complaints I have) out of 10.

Last edited:
Interesting to read your review of the movie! If you don't mind I'd like to adress some things from the point of view of someone who really did not enjoy the movie. But before I do, I would like to add that I am not much of a fanboy for either Marvel or DC. I love superheroes independent of the company that created them. So, that's that, now here are some thoughts:

Never saw the original theatrical cut, but my mate did, and he said the movie was about 30 minutes too short, which this edition remedies. It flows great, most characters get enough screen time to breathe and distinguish themselves, and never does the movie's tempo stall and become bogged down in exposition or sentimentality or lost in irrelevant sidetracks. Excellent direction, excellent cutting. There's one sequence I would have snipped for time which is a reprisal of the same sequence earlier in the movie, but that's pretty much it.

I did see the original theatrical release, and your mate was compleatly right. The editing in that cut was horrible which had effects throughout the entire movie. Characters were underdeveloped, the plot made very little sense, and there were quite a few spacial jumps that compleatly took the viewer out of the movie. There was no flow at all.
No matter how the Extended Cut plays out and feels in comparisson, I as a moviegoer expect to see a movie that makes sense when I pay for my ticket at the cinema. Just as with any other product I buy, I expect the manufacturer to not give me half a product when I pay full price.
I'm a movie-nerd, I follow the news surrounding movies for months, even years before they are released. I knew of the behind-the-scenes bullshit that went on at WB, and I was really sad that they decided to screw their fans and customers in this way.

If this movie is "too dark", well shit. Gimme some more dark then...

Regarding the tone. Dark works for Batman, as we've seen in the past. He is a dark character, and he has some of the best and most depraved villans out there, so with that I had no issue.
Superman on the other side, well, I'm no expert here, but he is to me a symbol of hope, of American values, and looking back at my old comic books, they had a more colorful look that made the stories more upbeat.
(I know all that changed in the 90's because things had to be all dark and gritty)

Coloring in any Zach Snyder movie has been an issue of mine for years. I love the astetic look of 300, it really fits together with the source-material. But looking back at the coloring-scheme of both MoS and BvS, and everything looks so incredibly washed out and dreary. I know it is supposed to reflect the tone of the movie, and this is purely subjective, but I cannot emphazise how much I dislike that.

A third point with the tone, and this is more of a wide observation I've seen in Hollywood as a whole. But after Christopher Nolans dark and gritty deconstruction of the superhero genre in the Dark Knight Trilogy, the entirety of Hollywood seems to have had a collective brainfart, and now every other movie is trying to be the Dark Knight of [insert genre here]. I'm just so sick and tired of it. And it goes for this movie aswell.

Luthor was a cool character too. A little too over the top maybe, I don't know. Don't really understand his motivations either, other than maybe "lol, insane!", but whatever. Badguys get off easier with a murkier driving force than the hero; after all, when it all comes down to it their job is merely to be evil...

I am actually in your camp here, I know we're the minority, but I also liked Luthor. Or rather, I liked that Jesse Eisenberg tried out something new with Luthor, even if it is not 100% in character with his comic book counterpart. Maybe a little bit over the top though...
What I didn't like, and where our opinions differ, is why the badguys would 'get off easier'. He is the driving force behind the entire plot of the movie. His part was the most essensial to get right so that we as viewers could understand his motivations. But that was compleatly botched. By far my biggest complaint with the entire movie would be the mishandling of Luthors motivations and actions, it makes NO sense whatsoever.

Heck, even Batfleck was pretty great in his role.

Yes, I can't wait for the Affleck-directed solo film with Batman. He worked as both Batman and Bruce.

SFX was great, even though there's some situations with Batman obviously being too strong really for any sort of normal human being, throwing crates and grown men around like they are ragdolls. But hey - it makes for some flippin good action sequences too. And yea, he totally kills a couple guys early on in the movie too, even though no killing is supposed to be a thing which is really important to Batman. *shrug*

Just as with MoS the destruction of stuff. It just becomes exhausting to watch. And the look of Doomsday is just not good. Other than that I also liked the SFX.

Lastly, I'd give it a 4,5/10. Better luck next time.

If you don't mind I'd like to adress some things from the point of view of someone who really did not enjoy the movie.
Have you watched the extended cut as well, in addition to the theatrical? As I mentioned, the flow of the extended cut is very good, in my personal opinion at least! Then again, if the theatrical cut was butchered badly, then I can imagine it would have negatively impacted my opinion of the movie, even after having watching the extended cut...

I inserted this disc into my PS4 with some dread, having read all the negative stuff about it on the interwebs, but I was greatly and pleasantly surprised by the quality of this movie. If you see the extended version for the first time ever I think it would be hard to fault it for much - unless you're a comics dork who's like, "Lex Luthor would never act like that!" or somesuch. Except of course by the time the mid-90s rolled around, Luthor had already been re-imagined from the way I remembered him from my childhood. These characters aren't set in stone, except that Supes is supposed to be this overgrown boy scout mom and apple pie american values blaha blah.

...Except that doesn't make for a very interesting character. If you're a goody twoshoes goodguy, you're fucking boring. Which is what Supes has been oftentimes; he's invulnerable, more or less invincible, has super hearing, vision, laser eyes, x-ray eyes, windshield wipers, air conditioning, even has the proverbial kitchen sink built-in. You can't make a serious movie about a guy like that and expect it to be the least bit interesting. Making Supes darker also makes him more human. More fallible. There's no drama in it without the dark, or else you end up with the ridiculous movies with Christopher Reeves* from the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
Have you watched the extended cut as well

Yes I have. But that was compleatly not the point of my text. Read it again.

I am furious that I saw a incomplete movie in the theatre, and had to buy the Extended Cut to make the movie make sense. It's one of the worst ripp-offs I've seen.

I don't mind Extended Cuts, or Directors Cuts at all, in fact I love them. But USUALLY the movie is not a compleate and utter faliure (as a motion picture) in its theatrical release. The reason for having a Extended Cut is supposed to be to enhance an experience, not make it watchable...

I actually think the the dark theme works really well for Superman. I love the "God amongst men" theme and tbh, the downplaying of the "all american apple pie eating cheesy hero".

Back