No Man's Sky [PC]

haha I can't wait to start up NMS one day and as it's zooming through the stars see "WOW THERE IS NICKEL HERE" rushing by.
come to think of it, I haven't been very sensible naming anything
http://imgur.com/a/4pJ8a

The odds of that happening are well below that of winning the lottery isn't it? I think there is some mind boggling amount of planets in the game.

Yes as I expected there are 2^64 planets in the game. That's 18,446,744,073,709,551,616. So much for finding his nickel planet xD
Well, I have an adjacentish star system which someone else have discovered:
http://imgur.com/a/BHGuq

I suppose it's not that unlikely to find another player's system, but for Malo to run into one specific planet of yours is beyond unlikely. Buzzkil! :mrgreen:
Yeah I guess, but I intend to be an idiot and just name the crap out of everything I find (except settlements and stuff, they are boring to name)

Yeah I guess, but I intend to be an idiot and just name the crap out of everything I find (except settlements and stuff, they are boring to name)
Don't you get points or money or something for naming stuff?

Don't you get points or money or something for naming stuff?
Don't think you get more for naming stuff, but if you upload it, you get x amount of credits. If you rename and upload, I think the amount is the same.

I would like to thank Malo for mentioning clearing the shader cache. Now the game only stutters on the main loading screen, and when warping.

I haven't been following this game or the mod scene, but it seems to be growing.

On http://nomansskymods.com/mods/ they have over 100 mods released, some of which are performance based while others are based on personal preference for fonts or audio samples or removing of various warnings. However even with mods growing, it seems like the official mod tools are still a ways away from release.

Here's an article written up what modders have done so far: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/hack-the-planets-modders-are-tearing-apart-the-no-mans-sky-universe

I've applied the Vignette+Scan lines+CA removal as well as the stupid instragram filter removal and liking the result. Though I think I'd prefer the vignetting remain. Also running better, though not sure if it's the filter removals or the latest patches.

I haven't been following this game or the mod scene, but it seems to be growing.

On http://nomansskymods.com/mods/ they have over 100 mods released, some of which are performance based while others are based on personal preference for fonts or audio samples or removing of various warnings. However even with mods growing, it seems like the official mod tools are still a ways away from release.

Here's an article written up what modders have done so far: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/hack-the-planets-modders-are-tearing-apart-the-no-mans-sky-universe

http://nomansskymods.com/mods/comic-sans-font-mod/

:LOL:

I've applied the Vignette+Scan lines+CA removal as well as the stupid instragram filter removal and liking the result. Though I think I'd prefer the vignetting remain. Also running better, though not sure if it's the filter removals or the latest patches.

You should post a pic for us peasants who cannot run the game ^^

No developer want to deliberately misled (well, maybe all except Peter moly).

But the reality is that... Often games need to be chopped into pieces and did not reach its original design to make the release date.

Otherwise, it will became star citizen.

Btw even if the developer is open with the public, telling stuff that has been cut, it doesn't always ends well.

Destiny is one example where the developer is both very open and very secretive.

They always get lots of flak whenever they are open or secretive about development stuff.

Last edited:
One of my son's first planets was a planet with rainforests. I haven't actually seen those yet, but the planet sure did have a lot of grass on it. No, perhaps not so much as in some of the earliest trailers, but still pretty impressive. I'll see that I can upload a screenshot sometime (he's playing on PS4).

I bought this game last night, because despite some of the hate, it seemed like something I would enjoy. It also helps I'm running a 980Ti instead of something AMD ;)

Anyway, 2.5Gb download later and I'm in. Went through the first solar system pretty quickly, maybe an hour two at most, and then was on my warpy way to the next star. I didn't take the default path,I picked my own star and what a good decision it was -- I landed in a solar system with four planets and two moons, at least half of which were full of monstrous gold and emeril (sp?) globs. Also happened upon a multi-tool which had a slew of stacked mining upgrades, so I made about a million "units" of profit in the span of about three hours. I've also stumbled into four or five additional exosuit slots, a bunch of those alien word things, and plenty of other isotopes and oxides to power and repair my ship during the various random pirate encounters.

I'm gonna keep going and buy myself a ridiculous ship with all the goodies and slots. Found one last night for "only" ~600k units which already had the hyperdrive loaded, but I wanted to hold out for a lot more slots. I already recognize how everyone calls it shallow and wide, and I can agree. Still, for now I'm finding it entertaining to go resource gathering and warping around.

No developer want to deliberately misled (well, maybe all except Peter moly).

But the reality is that... Often games need to be chopped into pieces and did not reach its original design to make the release date.

Otherwise, it will became star citizen.

Btw even if the developer is open with the public, telling stuff that has been cut, it doesn't always ends well.

Destiny is one example where the developer is both very open and very secretive.

They always get lots of flak whenever they are open or secretive about development stuff.
Yeah,
I should stress the article feels that the game is dull with some things lost compared to the potential shown with the 2014 E4 trailer rather than actually misleading and gave Alien Colonial Marines as an example of true misrepresentation.
Although there does seem to be a visual downgrade of some note as well along with the dynamics of the lifeforms behaviour-herding-etc.

It will be interesting to see if we get any info on what changed between then and now.
We might get the info, just like we did with Witcher 3 where it turned out they had to redo the rendering engine from their early game to the later multi-platform release.
Cheers

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if we get any info on what changed between then and now.
We might get the info, just like we did with Witcher 3 where it turned out they had to redo the rendering engine from their early game to the later multi-platform release.

I didn't know that, where can I get more info on this rendering engine reboot ?
I just thought they "downgraded" visuals due to multiplatform concerns.

About No Man's Sky, I assume every game trailers pre-release are preposterous & pre-rendered wish lists :D
The game is out, the reviews are out, it is easy to make your own judgement and see whether the hype is real.

I didn't know that, where can I get more info on this rendering engine reboot ?
I just thought they "downgraded" visuals due to multiplatform concerns.

About No Man's Sky, I assume every game trailers pre-release are preposterous & pre-rendered wish lists :D
The game is out, the reviews are out, it is easy to make your own judgement and see whether the hype is real.
Hehe yeah does feel that way with trailers pre-release more often :)
Here is a bit about the rendering engine change, scroll down to Why did the graphics change?: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

"Maybe it was our bad decision to change the rendering system," he mulls, "because the rendering system after VGX was changed." There were two possible rendering systems but one won out because it looked nicer across the whole world, in daytime and at night. The other would have required lots of dynamic lighting "and with such a huge world simply didn't work".

It's a similar story for environments, and their texture sizes and incidental objects. It was a trade-off between keeping that aspect of them or their unique, handmade design. And the team chose the latter. The data-streaming system couldn't handle everything while Geralt galloped around.
Cheers

Some of the planets I have discovered have been particularly enviromentally unwelcoming, shall we say. For instance, this planet (unnamed as of yet, gotta find a nice (idiotic) name) is racked with boiling hot storms which sap my hazard protection. These two images are seconds apart:

9ru9ga6.jpg
EYW6jrg.jpg

Do not land to close to a tree, I got my ship stuck under one. Having only two saves is stupid, one when I got out of the ship, and one claiming the area, no way to go back before my ship got stuck. I end up wandering around the planet for an hour before I found one of those devices that lets you call your ship to you.

Back