Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
^That update that managed to make my usb3 hub useless? Also I just found out that it messed up my printer driver. Also changing the smb (file) sharing.
The last two I managed to rectify them. The hub is still dead and I gave up on trying to fix it. Hopefully MS will fix it otherwise I will have 4 dead usb port on my front panel.

^That update that managed to make my usb3 hub useless? Also I just found out that it messed up my printer driver. Also changing the smb (file) sharing.
The last two I managed to rectify them. The hub is still dead and I gave up on trying to fix it. Hopefully MS will fix it otherwise I will have 4 dead usb port on my front panel.

my PC have one dead USB3 port. All USB2 ports work fine.

why usb3 is so finicky? you cant even use it to boot directly from bios.

Since I never actually try booting from USB3 I don't really know if I can boot into Windows from USB3 drive, but I can install Windows from USB3 (USB3 stick + USB3 port) to my sister and brother laptop (ASUS laptop).

sorry i was unclear. it can boot but after that it is stuck. As if the storage media was gone.

This happens fairly often with OS installers, and you may either fail almost immediately or quite a lot of software and menus might have been loaded during the initial boot

- can't read the CD it booted from. Fairly rare I think, but it may happen.
- can't use the network card it booted from
- can't read the USB2 drive it booted from, but for an .iso-to-USB-drive packing reason.
- try to install Windows 7 on a UEFI motherboard, but you booted a USB stick that missed the UEFI booting files. Everything boots and work but you'll be stuck at the partitioning stage, greyed out or something.

Most but not all issues are simply because your UEFI may have drivers for your hardware, or your BIOS manages it, but what you're booting can't make use of that hardware.
I am wondering if a USB2 extension cord would turn your USB3 drive into a USB2 drive, hence onty needing a USB2 driver even if the port otherwise does both USB2 and USB3.

Since I never actually try booting from USB3 I don't really know if I can boot into Windows from USB3 drive, but I can install Windows from USB3 (USB3 stick + USB3 port) to my sister and brother laptop (ASUS laptop).
In my experience, the only one that can did that are those with "legacy usb mode" capability in their usb.

And I just Googled a bit, and turns out, those with usb3 thst have its driver already in the windows installer (you can add your own driver into the installer if it's nothing included is compatible) can install through usb 3 just fine.

Usually I just switch to usb2 port though

SP4 Win10 experience continues to be crap. Try to open firewall - error. Try to improve facial recognition - can't recognise me (despite having recognised me to log me in in the first place!). Go to enter pin and it doesn't bring up the keypad, so have to faff about manually getting the right numeric keyboard showing because my PIN is a pattern and not a number and I don't know what it is numerically. Also had the bluetooth keyboard stop working, requiring it be disconnected as a device and re-added.

Also, draw at the side of the screen and the application is shrunk. I don't want that shortcut and want to disable it. Forums don't have any reply, suggesting it's a static shortcut and forever more it's impossible to draw at the edges of the screen without pulling in some interrupting OS feature.

Many little, stupid things, making it an awkward, unpleasant experience.

The weird thing is I got it first day when it first came out.
Now I'm a couple of days into a fresh install & its leaving me on ver 1151.

Here's something for you to try; I used this on my Lenovo Y460 which had been stuck on the original RTM vesrion of Win10. Go download the Win10 upgrade tool, use it to upgrade your current machine even though it's already running Win10. It will pull the latest version and actually upgrade you, pretty much the same way it would upgrade over Windows Update anyhow. That Lenovo had got stuck due to some bizarre failure of the Windows Update Service which I honestly hadn't tried to fix yet. Got tired of watching it suck, used the Win10 upgrade on Win10, worked without a single problem. And my WSUS functions are back to working now, too :)

Desktop got it on the first day (August 2nd) through the normal channels, so did my little Lenovo tablet.

Wholly unexpected: my W10 phone (950xl) seems to have picked it up two nights ago. I thought it was delayed? All the Anniversary features are here though; swipe-to-go-back functions in Edge, new currently-playing-music management behavior on the lock screen, new emoticons, new continuum functionality...

Yeah I found & just finished using the upgrade link/utility on Microsoft website which worked OK :smile2:

Edit: ugh so also after working OK a couple of days I've been inflicted by the dreaded 'random black screen' issue :-x
The upgrade did not fix :no:

Edit2: found a couple of power management type BIOS settings that didn't look optimal & its been up like 8hrs now.
Hopefully that fixed it but doesn't explain why it just suddenly went bung after being fine a couple of days with those settings o_O

Edit3: gah after another 6hrs it did it again

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think the big update is getting pushed in stages. Though IIRC you can force it.

Yes it's very easy to do, and you can access it through the Windows Update app in Windows 10. When you open it, on the screen where you can check for updates there's a link for "Learn More" under "Looking for info on the latest updates?" which will take you to a Microsoft page listing all Windows 10 updates. On that page is a link to get the Anniversary Update.

I finally updated mine the other day.

I don't mind the lock screen, but I hate that you can no longer get past the lock screen to enter your password by hitting the [shift] key on the keyboard. That's mildly annoying as that's what I've been using up until now.

Edge is still garbage just like Chrome. It has all the things that make Chrome bad, without any of the things that make Chrome somewhat bearable. I do like one of the new features for it, however. Pinning tabs.

I really wish there was an option in Edge to have the old method of searching for a highlighted term on a new tab instead of the abbreviated and mostly useless search pane that pops out.

Bleh. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with IE11 until such time as it no longer works. Hell, I'd still use IE9 if I could just for the far superior browser UI.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I don't mind the lock screen, but I hate that you can no longer get past the lock screen to enter your password by hitting the [shift] key on the keyboard. That's mildly annoying as that's what I've been using up until now.
I don't understand why they do shit like that. Why deliberately annoy your own users for no reason??? It's like the whole Win8 desktop debacle where they refused to back off their terrible UI ideas for the longest time. They were like, "You WILL like our shit we give you! We're going to force it down your throat until you surrender and swallow voluntarily!"

Of course, people didn't surrender, and MS had to re-think. Seems they still quite didn't learn enough from that episode though. Fuckers!

I don't understand why they do shit like that. Why deliberately annoy your own users for no reason??? It's like the whole Win8 desktop debacle where they refused to back off their terrible UI ideas for the longest time. They were like, "You WILL like our shit we give you! We're going to force it down your throat until you surrender and swallow voluntarily!"

Of course, people didn't surrender, and MS had to re-think. Seems they still quite didn't learn enough from that episode though. Fuckers!
and they even botched their comeback. Windows 10 UI is an annoyance in a tablet. for example, in W8 i can touch then slide to change brightness. in W10, i need to tap tap tap tap tap to change brightness.

I thought it was an Any Key thing? I use space <shrug>

How do I turn this Xbox overlay thingie that keeps trying to record/broadcast my games off?

It's like the whole Win8 desktop debacle where they refused to back off their terrible UI ideas for the longest time. They were like, "You WILL like our shit we give you! We're going to force it down your throat until you surrender and swallow voluntarily!"

Rethink, OK on the desktop yes they eventually saw sense, but on the phone they never saw sense, their UI design was buttugly (to all but their most loyal supporters)
Even with declining marketshare they never admitted their design was bad, and now where is microsoft phone today? Its dead, Tens of Billions of dollars up for grabs, yet they threw it all away

their UI design was buttugly (to all but their most loyal supporters)
I rather liked the tile UI for touch devices. It never made the least fucking bit of sense to me on desktop though. MS being stupid and refusing to understand the lesson Apple learned from MS's early touch devices; that you shouldn't (and sometimes even can't) have the same UI for devices that have different capabilities and are meant to be interacted with in different ways.

...Which is why you have OS X (now MacOS) with one UI and iOS with another. TV and watch devices also with unique UIs, btw.

Windows: MS wanted to make everything look and function the fucking same. Dumbshit idea. I don't think they have completely accepted yet that this is strategy is dumb and bad. I think they still believe that if they just tweak their ideas a little bit more, then everybody else will change their minds and come flocking... *shrug*

I propose we do it the other way around. No dumbing down with touchscreens ; have the same UI everywhere, by putting a keyboard and command line on everything.

iqktat8z3nenyjublwzc.png

Does anyone know of a way to get the full notification area to show on multiple monitors? I thought with Anniversary Edition adding the clock to multi mons it might be possible now, but I can't find anything in settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back