No Man's Sky [PC]

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
Making this thread to separate console and PC discussion of No Man's Sky.

In No Man's Sky, every star is the light of a distant sun, each orbited by planets filled with life, and you can go to any of them you choose. Fly smoothly from deep space to planetary surfaces, with no loading screens, and no limits. In this infinite procedurally generated universe, you'll discover places and creatures that no other players have seen before - and perhaps never will again.

No Man's Sky on Steam

Launch Trailer

Graphics options
no-mans-sky-pc-graphics-settings.jpg

No Man’s Sky: PC Graphics Settings Unveiled, 4K Screenshots On Show: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/no-mans-sky-pc-graphics-settings-4k-screenshots

"The current public driver works just great, and there'll be a new Game Ready driver next week that'll add more greatness."

"We won't have Ansel support at launch."

Same site.

Last edited:
Well that answers the question on whether we can change FoV on PC! Thanks! Hoping that 21:9 support made it in for launch as well though I'll likely stream it to my TV anyway. Hopefully TAA will be available soon as well.

Wow, that's a rough start. Nvidia mentioned Game Ready Driver would be next week but I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference.

Edit: Holy Moly Mostly Negative (3,242 reviews)

Oh gosh. No wonder they didn't post any DirectX version requirements. The game is Open GL. Going to be a nightmare for ages, especially for AMD who won't be able to do much at all unless it's ported to Vulkan.

Steam reviews say it's unplayable. Probably best to stave off buying until we learn the PC version is fixed.

Huh, i don't have many problems over here. I played it for like 90 minutes and it's running with everything maxed at nearly locked 60 fps with occasional hitches when pcg kicks in.

Edit: And that was without the day 1 patch that installed the moment i quit the game

I've also got the latest Nvidia drivers installed (369.09).

Edit #2: Even smoother performance after day 1 patch

Last edited:
I really don't know why they decided to go with OpenGL given how crap -historically- the OGL AMD drivers are. It seems like an invitation for a disaster. Can't really complain on my side though, game runs fine and looks quite nice as well, will report back after I've explored a few planets to see if that changes.

It also appears that a significant amount of the the UI carried over from the PS4 almost without modification, which gets noticed and has led to poor reception even for more polished games.
From some of the PS4 reviews where the reviewers play a lot of Steam games (Early Access, Greenlight, wider selection of developers than are on PS4), I think there's also the problem that NMS is not getting the kind of benefit from the PS4's barriers of entry for games that do at least part of what it does for less and better, and Sony's help may not stretch as far as it did in the walled garden.

Steam reviews are that it plain don't work on PC, or lousy framerate (15 fps on powerful PCs). Seems like PS4 is the only place to play at the moment.
No problem here. Apart from the god awful UI.

Steam reviews say it's unplayable. Probably best to stave off buying until we learn the PC version is fixed.

Damn, just took a look and wow. I did get a laugh at this one recommended thumbs up for the game though. :p

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sabertrix/recommended/275850/

It's a shame as one user on Steam noted that there was a lot of praise and high expectations on Steam forums prior to the actual release.

Damn, only 38% of 7,498 reviews were positive. So ~4,648 negative reviews as of when I post this.

Oh gosh. No wonder they didn't post any DirectX version requirements. The game is Open GL. Going to be a nightmare for ages, especially for AMD who won't be able to do much at all unless it's ported to Vulkan.

Considering how long ago the game started development they couldn't have started it on Vulkan. And considering how small the studio is, they likely couldn't switch to Vulkan mid-development. Hopefully there will be a Vulkan version to fix performance issues.

I'm surprised they didn't go with Directx as even Direct 9/10/11 is not only easier to program for, but is more performant than OGL. I can only guess that the developer really wants to release on Linux/Mac at some point and/or really doesn't like Microsoft.

Also on Nvidia here, solid performance.

For Steam user reviews that actually bother to mention their system specs, I see a lot of Maxwell 2 based cards, namely GTX 980, 970. I'm wondering if performance issues are limited to Maxwell 2 and older cards. I know you have Pascal, so that might explain why you are having a comparably much better experience than the majority of Steam purchasers.

Regards,
SB

I was curious about this game, although I think there are posts of mine stating my opinion on leaning on procedural generation so heavily from years back and this game doesn't seem to be the one to change it.
I expected a much of the criticism levied at the game in terms of the difficulty in getting a consistent experience out of a basis that is both variable and yet needs to play it safe so that said variation doesn't break things.
I didn't expect just how limited the persistence is, or the lack of collision detection, physics, or the inventory/UI issues--which is really throwing me off of the thing.

The limited point for auto-save initiation seems like a serious problem given the stability issues reported for various PC systems (and hard-locks on the PS4).
Progress loss can gut enthusiasm even for those that get past the other issues.

I got a 970 and no problems here.

Edit: Some screens from the second planet i explored, it seems like it is devoid of life as well

275850_2016081222432836jyl.jpg

275850_20160812224800q1j8q.jpg

275850_20160812235253sxkrc.jpg

Last edited:
Well some positive reviews are finally starting to trickle in (up to 41% positive reviews) as people that can actually run the game without performance issues are starting to post reviews in defense of the game.

Regards,
SB

Back