Intel Iris Pro 580 underwhelming performance

low-level apis that reduce cpu utilization would be great for laptops and portables that have difficulty managing heat.
I suspect games would render more and the power usage wouldn't drop.

I'm waiting for Android Vulkan games to see if anything goes on there. My Shield Tablet has had Vulkan support since like March. I suppose once everybody's favorite middleware supports it, it will start to appear.

I followed the links from this story, and the only thing I could find in the forum was that they don't have any current plans to support Vulkan on older processors. There is a beta driver for 6th gen core processors.

Well, I think their wording is quite clear (we have a request for a double-confirmed official statement pending).

"The current Plan Of Record is that Intel® is not supporting Vulkan on Windows drivers. The drivers that were made available on Developer.com are intended for Vulkan developers."

- No plans on supporting Vulkan on Windows driver-s
- Developer-driver

Well, I think their wording is quite clear (we have a request for a double-confirmed official statement pending).

"The current Plan Of Record is that Intel® is not supporting Vulkan on Windows drivers. The drivers that were made available on Developer.com are intended for Vulkan developers."

- Developer-driver
That might just mean that for now, they do not provide production level support (like any other software company that does not provide commercial support for betas).
In the future, they might be planning a production driver with Vulcan, at which point they would begin to provide support.

- Developer-driver

I'm having difficulty finding the original quote and not something translated by google translate. What I see from the forum is this mangled English:

"The current Plan Of Record is did Intel is not supporting volcano on Windows drivers. The drivers thatwere made available on Developer.com are Intended for developers volcano."

That might just mean that for now, they do not provide production level support (like any other software company that does not provide commercial support for betas).
In the future, they might be planning a production driver with Vulcan, at which point they would begin to provide support.

That would actually make the most sense. As it appears to be clear they are still supporting developers using Vulkan on Windows. But you are correct that IHVs often do not offer any support for users using BETA drivers and/or drivers that are not specifically released for consumer adoption. Use at your own risk basically.

Regards,
SB

Thank you for posting the link Kaarlisk. :) I did not imagine it could be that hard to find the source link.

That is what Intel's current plan is and that is what I have posted here. Whether or not their plans might change in the future is not my call to decide. Might change, might not. ATM it looks like no support, while every other major vendor has production level drivers out there. But hey, if my mainstay were powerful latency optimized cores, I'd have low level APIs rather later than sooner as well. Might eat into my competitive advantage, when a 100 Euro AMD-quad can do the same as my 300 Euro quad.

Thanks for that link.

The current Plan Of Record is that Intel® is not supporting Vulkan on Windows drivers. The drivers that were made available on Developer.com are intended for Vulkan developers.

So, it is expected that some Vulkan drivers may not work for end users.

I think the whole quote puts it into better perspective. It doesn't appear that Intel is dropping Vulkan for Windows. They are just not providing end user support for Vulkan at this time. They appear to be continuing to work with developers on Vulkan on Windows, likely fixing bugs as they come up, etc.

Of course, it also doesn't say that end users will eventually get a public non-developer release of Vulkan. But the fact they are still releasing updated Vulkan drivers to developers on Windows suggests that whenever that gets into a stable state that a public release may eventually come for end users.

Until then. Intel is just saying to end users, "Use these drivers at your own risk, we can't/won't help you if you run into problems or it doesn't work."

Regards,
SB

Sure ... ?
In other words, there is no pressing need for Intel to support Vulkan right now, and if current trends continues, ie: Vulkan Windows apps working like crap on every architecture except GCN, then NEVER. Some people may act shocked or in disbelief, but this is how IHVs work.

In other words, there is no pressing need for Intel to support Vulkan right now, and if current trends continues, ie: Vulkan Windows apps working like crap on every architecture except GCN, then NEVER. Some people may act shocked or in disbelief, but this is how IHVs work.

There is more chance for OGL being dropped than Vulkan. There are no instances of Vulkan offering appreciably less performance in Vulkan versus OGL on Nvidia or AMD hardware. Even the experimental implementation with the Talos Principle showed better performance in Vulkan than OGL on both Nvidia and AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10047/quick-look-vulkan-performance-on-the-talos-principle

Not sure why I bothered to reply since everyone knows you hate Vulkan and can't possibly see why it's superior to OGL in almost every way with regards to games.

Regards,
SB

There is more chance for OGL being dropped than Vulkan. There are no instances of Vulkan offering appreciably less performance in Vulkan versus OGL on Nvidia or AMD hardware.

Actually, most reports on the web state how poor Vulkan runs compared to OGL, massively so. Here is a glimpse on a GTX 980m, showing OGL running up to 50% faster than Vulkan:

Considering this, I can't imagine how horrible it runs on Intel GPUs.

Not sure why I bothered to reply since everyone knows you hate Vulkan and can't possibly see why it's superior to OGL in almost every way with regards to games.

I don't hate Vulkan or deny it's theoretical superiority, however being superior and proving your superiority are two different things, right now there are no instances in which lower level APIs prove superior to old APIs (except for GCN of course). And if this continues IHVs would abandon these APIs (through negligence, slow adoption, or outright dropping support) for the sake of something better. A behavior we see clearly with the current Intel standing with Vulkan on Windows. And with OpenCL, DX10 and even OpenGL in the past.

You mean beyond the Linux/Android vulkan drivers right? Because I'm sure all those Chrombook/box vendors would appreciate it.

Actually, most reports on the web state how poor Vulkan runs compared to OGL, massively so. Here is a glimpse on a GTX 980m, showing OGL running up to 50% faster than Vulkan
I'm sure it will be better when Nvidia gets their async support enabled in all their drivers. It's not that Vulkan is bad, it's just that some hardware isn't quite up to par.

I suspect games would render more and the power usage wouldn't drop.
It would shift power useage from CPU cores - which does not help rendering - to GPU, where it does help rendering, thus letting you get more actual work work done. :)

You mean beyond the Linux/Android vulkan drivers right? Because I'm sure all those Chrombook/box vendors would appreciate it.
Linux is the one to watch, Android support is understated by Intel's limited market penetration.
I'm sure it will be better when Nvidia gets their async support enabled in all their drivers. It's not that Vulkan is bad, it's just that some hardware isn't quite up to par.
We've heard this nonsense mentioned here before, I will let more tech savvy people answer that. Also likely no further Async support is going to be implemented by NVIDIA's drivers, that's not how Async works, besides there is no need for that for most DX12 titles, DX11 path works much better as it is.

As I'm looking for alternative to Microsoft Enslavement Program Windows 10, I really am counting on being able to use Vulkan to make & play games on any OS.
(And I said OS not kernels :p go freeBSD ! go Haiku !)

Vulkan on Android seems like a huge step forward there. But something tells me only NV supports it adequately.

Back