PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came here excited to post the following:
On the bright side if Ryse is to XBO, and Order is to PS4, we should be given a glimpse of an amazing tech demo style game for Neo.

Then I remembered there are no Neo exclusives :(

I suppose they could make a presentation appear as though a game is a Neo exclusive. I suppose we should just expect that go forward.

Are we all predicting all Sony footage go forward will be the Neo version for marketing materials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can imagine games like UC4, GOW, Horizon and Detroit on Neo would look mind blowing assuming they're still 1080/30 but using all that extra power on them uncompressed graphics;). It doesn't matter if Neo doesn't have an exclusive title as long as its games look significantly better anyway.

Ah, first clue of what a Neo game may possibly offer compared to the OG PS4 according to No Man's Sky dev:)
"For our game (No Man's Sky) it’s procedurally generated. So more powerful hardware doesn’t just mean upgraded textures or a higher framerate. It means we can fundamentally change the experience.

"You can have - and you'll see this from our patch notes - we're able to change huge things in the universe, because we have complete control. "With more powerful hardware, we can have more trees, more leafs on those trees. The density or immersion of worlds, or new types of worlds could exist.”
Imagine more trees, leaves and density in Horizon despite it being already dense as fuck!
horizon-zero-dawn-pgw-4.jpg

Ah, first clue of what a Neo game may possibly offer compared to the OG PS4 according to No Man's Sky dev:)

Imagine more trees, leaves and density in Horizon despite it being already dense as fuck!
horizon-zero-dawn-pgw-4.jpg
But this is exactly what I thought Sony did not want?

Like I think developers would be crossing the line in terms of quality if the difference between Neo and PS4 titles were the same difference between PS4 and PS3 titles.

how are you guys still fantasizing about significant graphical improvements at the same resolution, when every info related to neo since the first rummors up to now has pointed and re-pointed to sony wanting to focus in 4k and not much else?

how are you guys still fantasizing about significant graphical improvements at the same resolution, when every info related to neo since the first rummors up to now has pointed and re-pointed to sony wanting to focus in 4k and not much else?
Not been limited to res increase, the leaked document also mentioned graphical fidelity improvement is viable too and is only up to the devs to decide which one to prioritize. Not saying they will all receive only graphical improvement but I can certainly see a good percentage of devs sticking to 1080p res and pump the visuals to heaven high.

Not been limited to res increase, the leaked document also mentioned graphical fidelity improvement is viable too and is only up to the devs to decide which one to prioritize. Not saying they will all receive only graphical improvement but I can certainly see a good percentage of devs sticking to 1080p res and pump the visuals to heaven high.

Indeed, even House said "something a little extra. Particularly – and I should stress this – in the area of graphic fidelity and games that will essentially play an awful lot prettier than games have previously."

Open world games often struggle to find balance point between good density of the objects around player and not making it shitty when those objects are switched through LODs/visibility.

E3 video of Horizon was good IMO. The only thing that is agressivley lodding in is the HQ grass in front of the user when she is riding the mount.

I remember there was another Horizon dev walkthrough live stream shortly after E3 which showed an updated build with better grass LOD already. I can only expect the retail build would be better still while Neo version takes it up a notch or two with much denser foliage.

I remember there was another Horizon dev walkthrough live stream shortly after E3 which showed an updated build with better grass LOD already. I can only expect the retail build would be better still while Neo version takes it up a notch or two with much denser foliage.
This seems plausible.

Where NMS developer says that "new worlds" could exist because of new horsepower, that sounds exclusive as if PS4 player base would be unable to access such worlds due lack of processing power. That's totally not what Sony wants.

Unless there's a change in how players can interact with things on the worlds, or some kind of new gameplay mechanic, how would it differ from other kinds of cosmetic enhancement?

Unless there's a change in how players can interact with things on the worlds, or some kind of new gameplay mechanic, how would it differ from other kinds of cosmetic enhancement?
Yeah, after playing over 10 hours of NMS I see no reason why it would change any game mechanics. It would be great to have the world generation to have more micro details (and the argument is that on Neo, these would come for free without having to design new assets since it's an algorithm), it would completely change the way it looks, but the game can't really change.

The game mechanics only requires macro features, you scan complete organisms, maybe they would allow individual blades of grass to be scannable, but that's unnecessary. The mining could be more granular but that's also unnecessary.

I don't disagree, but this isn't the messaging Sony wants either.

They've said that this is a premium device to offer improved graphics and PS4 will be supported for its life. MS said exactly the same thing.

But here we are discussing what seems like Duck Typing. What looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and walks like a duck; should treat it as a duck.

They keep saying it's not a new generation, but they certainly has the characteristics of one. When marketing materials are all going to be the latest console, when performance is always better on the latest console, all we need is enough of the population to move and they can begin back tracking on their statement of exclusives. And some people will be pissed, but their voices will be quieter than the masses that are happy with the new generation of console.

A 2016 release is absolutely the right thing for Sony to do. An entire year headstart for the dominant market leader is huge, and pretty much guarantees Sony the upper hand.

Scorpio coming out a year later will be expected to be more powerful, just in the same way people think of phones. By the time Scorpio is released, Sony should have a number of established '4k' releases like Horizon, The Last Guardian and GOW 4, and Microsoft could be looking at trying to rival a combined 60m+ user base.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, but this isn't the messaging Sony wants either.

They've said that this is a premium device to offer improved graphics and PS4 will be supported for its life. MS said exactly the same thing.

But here we are discussing what seems like Duck Typing. What looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and walks like a duck; should treat it as a duck.
In the case of No Man's Sky, it's not clear what's materially different about a "Neo" planet out of the marketed 18 quintillion planets.
Does this mean Neo could get 18.1 quintillion planets with blobby rocks and patched-together creatures that a player can traverse in the same way and get the exact same resources?
Or is it that the 18 quintillion planets might have an extra rock outcropping?

For perspective, there aren't 18 quintillion blades of grass in the games where it is expected that Neo would have more foliage in. After the first trillion, I would posit that the blades of grass are actually more meaningful.

Other articles about Neo indicate that as long as a game has a feature on both, it's allowable that it be better on Neo. Procedurally generating planets is the feature, so Neo can be allowed to do it better.
Currently, there's very little persistence and virtually no interaction/communication between players. There's no competition, no memory, no communication, and a core gameplay loop that barely recognizes differences between worlds so long as the items it cares about are plopped down in some fashion.

Bare minimum, Sony could just ask that they put a lamer planet at the same coordinates of a "Neo" planet, or more likely the same planets will have extra blobs or less pop-in if a Neo console is generating them. It's unclear how much the game depends on GPU resources versus the CPU for generation, and so much else about the console isn't changing. The developer might be getting ahead of itself in saying things could be that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back