No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

Cph5qnGW8AEyXqL.jpg:orig

I am free from the chains of my toxic rain home!

I started playing it yesterday evening as well. Right now I'm super into it. No idea how long that'll last, but the game got off to a pretty great start as far as I'm concerned. The first interplanetary flight certainly gave me goosebumps. Such a cool feeling. I quite liked my staring solar system, by the way. Sure, the planets were all forsty, radioactive, or scorching hot, but they lall ooked pretty damn cool. Really impressed by the organic and naturalistic sights that damned algorithm has come up with so far.

Paid €73 for my limited edition with the artbook, steelbook covers and little comic book/short story leaflet and have no regrets.

Well, I wouldn't pay €13 separately for just the limited edition extras, but anyway.

I'm pretty much going to loose myself in this when I get it. I love a series a books by Edmund Cooper (Richard Avery) called The Expendables (Deathworms of Kratos, Rings of Tantalus etc), they're basically pulp sci-fi from the 70s, which this game so totally reminds me of.

My son went from "this game is the definition of boring" when playing it on day one to loving it on day two. He figured out how to make tons of cash with the trading system and has bought several new ships. I'm still limping along in my starter ship :(

Does anyone know how to deal with the pirates? They basically killed me and took my stuff. I could not really fight back or run.

I would play this game at 30FPS and 720P if the graphics looked near photorealistic. But instead we get a cartoonish world. I spent almost all my life watching television on a 480i CRT so resolution and frame rate matters little as long as the environments and characters look REAL.
They can't and your request is quite frankly ridiculous. Everything you see is being created on the fly at world-level detail. How the hell do you implement a real time GI solution and PBS in procedural materials in an engine with such enormous scope?! Heck, the shadows don't even line up properly.

Everything this game is doing is basically the limit of what you can do on a console. Targeting a 10 TF monster PC rig, it might look a lot better but still not photo realistic.

Seriously dude, just go outside! You'll never get your photorealism fix in computer games, not for years, and quite frankly your complaints just come off as bashing the devs who put in fuck loads of effort to pull something like this off only for you to complain it's not pretty enough. If you can't enjoy games that don't look like reality, you can't enjoy games (there isn't a single photorealistic game out there in truth, only some fairly close genre-specific titles typically only in certain circumstances) and should take up some other hobby. Like watching your beloved interlaced SDTV.

Saw the intro planet for a few hours yesterday. I can definitely see the potential of the crafting and discovery now. Resource management and learning how to balance mining/harvesting/exploration was a great game mechanic.Navigation was annoyingly tricky without waypoints or a mapping system - maybe one becomes available? I do think I personally would get a little tired of it hours in, but at the same time it looks like something you could just drop into every now and again and lose several hours in one sitting. I won't buy it now because I have more pressing requirements on my time. :(

Oh, and soundtrack was pretty cool. Kinda Vangelis.

The navigation system is currently a bit of a mess, not sure if that is a case of performance being a problem (so it was intentionally nerfed) or just lack of time to fully implement it. I am constantly finding myself unsure which points of interest I have been to already and often I will end up missing new ones because I go the wrong direction and then lose track of them.

I'm having a hell of a time getting off the current planet I am on because I keep finding crashed ships and end up obsessively repeating the upgrade grind repairing them.

=)

Really enjoying this game despite the flaws though.

has a game ever split the gaming comunity so much!?

Untitled_2.jpg

That somewhat mimics my real life circle of friends that have gotten it. A little over half of them started off liking it for the first day and then got bored and think it was a waste of money. And the rest either really like it or aren't so into it, but are giving it more time to see if it draws them in.

Most of them did think it was a beautiful game considering the art style they went for.

I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going to get it. I'm actually less interested in it now than when it was first revealed at E3 (super excited for it back then).

Regards,
SB

I am constantly finding myself unsure which points of interest I have been to already and often I will end up missing new ones because I go the wrong direction and then lose track of them.
That's what we were experiencing. You'd activate a beacon that'd identify a new point of interest, but it was hard to find it and you could encounter POI you'd already discovered.

Also the naming of the discoveries could get old real fast. I imagine most gamers will give up once the novelty's worn of and we'll be looking at the procedural names aplenty.

Got the game and played for about 90 minutes (played some Abzû first, also quite nice). Was pretty productive right away. Didn't get Atlas, and then proceeded to get the stuff needed to fix my ship pretty smoothly. It takes a little while to get the icons for what you need, and the planet was cold so had to recharge temperature support quite often but it was a rich planet with a few moose like creatures that live forever and a floating fish. I killed five sentinels there, and then left the planet to visit my first space station. There I traded and bought something I thought was useful, then went to a beacon on another planet and mined some space rocks along the way. Here I got the hyperdrive and then ended up having the stuff necessary immediately. Lots of wildlife on this planet including some huge dinosaur like creatures.

There is lots of stuff to upgrade and discover (didn't name anything yet), but I could also see some repetitiveness setting in. Still it is pretty awesome to fly around, trade and visit new planets that are really big and have mountains, caves, ravines etc.

Surprised at how fast I got along really so far.

That does sound like quite a lot for 90 minutes. All that would likely take me a whole day.

Back