Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That needs windows key though. If you have oem windows like me, you need to extract the keys from the UEFI. there's a topic with a download for the key app somewhere in B3D

Well... The repair thing did no good so I'll have to reformat when I find time to back everything up. About the product keys though... Original Vista installation was retail I believe (been a long time). It has been continually upgraded since then. I also don't have UEFI... crappy old BIOS. I know I can get the old product key off Windows 7, but will that work on the clean install? It's also been used to upgrade to Windows 8 in the past. Does that matter to Microsoft? Can I extract the current Windows 10 product key from within Windows 7 somehow?

For me the Windows 7 key that was eligible for the upgrade to Wnidows 10 also worked for a fresh install.

anybody unable to turn on cortana x android sync?

i can enable it on Android Cortana, but its nowhere to be seen in Windows10 Cortana

EDIT:

turns out my windows user account is corrupted or something. Cortana works fine in a new windows user.

now... how the heck do i repair my user account... hmm...

Last edited:
For me it seems Cortana is disabled now in WIndows 10 completely. It seems that just setting your region to a region supported by Cortana no longer works or something like that ... didn't get to the bottom of it yet.

EDIT: it's a known issue that will be fixed
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows10-anniversary-update-common-problems-how-fix

And apparently it's another permission shutdown thing - you can turn it back on in the registry, as found here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...y-update/a7b3e324-bc85-4586-98f5-e3c4f6eb9269

Well its logical in its way: Pin the Settings App to the Start tile space or to Taskbar.
Same options for any other App but lacking a couple of other options others have like 'rate & review' or 'run as administrator' because neither are relevant

Just an update in case someone has a similar circumstance. I reformatted and reinstalled and the Windows 7 key worked just fine. And let me say this, a fresh install made a huge difference in fluidity and usability. Why can't Microsoft get an upgrade to give the same experience? I literally quit using my desktop for most tasks because it was so unresponsive before--I guess I forgot how fast it used to be.

Well its logical in its way: Pin the Settings App to the Start tile space or to Taskbar.
Same options for any other App but lacking a couple of other options others have like 'rate & review' or 'run as administrator' because neither are relevant
Logical would be to have LOGIC to analyse what is in the more and if it is less than n items, put them out of the more menu.

Just had the start menu wonk out on me. Start button wouldn't work when clicked, tried to run the app I needed (calc, as a matter of fact) by right-clicking and selecting "search"; nothing happened. Resorted to windows key+R, and that did work. Unfortunately, Calc wouldn't start up properly (just opened a window with the app icon as a logo in it.) I had to resort to using my iPhone instead... *facepalm*

A short while later, windows firewall pops up a window telling me it has blocked runtimebroker from accessing the network. *facepalm* ...Windows blocking a part of itself, fucking LOL! I don't even know what to say about this one. :p

I cancelled the window without enabling network access, voila - suddenly start menu works again. Jesus fuckin christ...

Hurray! ALL OF YOU GOT INFECTED BY MY VIRUS!!!111oneoneeleven MWAHAHAHA HAHA

But seriously. Windows 10.5 should not be released in this kind of condition... Did the management give unrealistic schedule?

The bugs and regressions are too much.

Yeesh, I must have a ton of good computer Karma. :p While I dislike a lot of the changes that Microsoft has made in Windows 10 with regards to the user experience (UI, Edge functionality, etc.) it has so far been flawless in operation.

And the last time this machine had a clean install of Windows? When Vista first launched.

Regards,
SB

Just had the start menu wonk out on me. Start button wouldn't work when clicked, tried to run the app I needed (calc, as a matter of fact) by right-clicking and selecting "search"; nothing happened. Resorted to windows key+R, and that did work. Unfortunately, Calc wouldn't start up properly (just opened a window with the app icon as a logo in it.) I had to resort to using my iPhone instead... *facepalm*

A short while later, windows firewall pops up a window telling me it has blocked runtimebroker from accessing the network. *facepalm* ...Windows blocking a part of itself, fucking LOL! I don't even know what to say about this one. :p

I cancelled the window without enabling network access, voila - suddenly start menu works again. Jesus fuckin christ...

Looking at your files, emails, social networking data, handwriting, speech, webcam, web searches, browsing habits, installed programs and home network information seems not to be enough to allow them to "improve your windows experience". Now microsoft also wants to know your clicking patterns and what you're calculating. The next step probably will be to automatically grab and analyze your home accounting data, so that Cortana can give you useful budget advice.

Looking at your files, emails, social networking data, handwriting, speech, webcam, web searches, browsing habits, installed programs and home network information seems not to be enough to allow them to "improve your windows experience". Now microsoft also wants to know your clicking patterns and what you're calculating. The next step probably will be to automatically grab and analyze your home accounting data, so that Cortana can give you useful budget advice.

In other words. Microsoft copying Google.

Only Google does it because it's the only way Google can make money (advertising). Although to give them credit, they've been attempting to diversify away from the company being almost entirely reliant on advertising revenue and thus basically having no choice but to harvest user information and exploit it.

Regards,
SB

Why can't Microsoft get an upgrade to give the same experience?
Because the OS becomes a convoluted mess of conflicting apps and components and resolving them all into a new OS with new .dlls is never going to work flawlessly unless you've a very empty system. TBH we're lucky Windows 7 got the OS to the point where you didn't need a completely system reinstall every couple of years to get the system back up to speed.

I've always known OS installation to consist of Windows, system mobo drivers, Windows updates, and finally applications. Not doing them in that order (drivers, applications, OS) is a recipe for issues.

It only works better on other OSes because they work differently, such as sandboxed apps, but even then we have devices that develop OS problems on new OSes, even on fixed hardware!

TBH we're lucky Windows 7 got the OS to the point where you didn't need a completely system reinstall every couple of years to get the system back up to speed.
Actually Vista already did that ;)
It just went unnoticed from most due the bad press it got mostly for others faults (shitty drivers, lazy 3rd party programmers using admin rights when they don't need them etc)

I've had my fair share of Linux installations no longer boot, beyond repair, and considering how little I used Linux vs Windows ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back