PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'm expecting $300 & $450 - the Neo is more than double the power and a premium product. I really hope they stick a USB on the back!

Regarding release, if they are announcing it in September it has to be due before Christmas otherwise they just threw away this holiday when they were projecting an upswing in sales (IIRC).

The PS4 Neo is NOT a premium product. It is a a small, incremental upgrade (same RAM, tiny increase in CPU frequency, small GPU bump) that doesn't come even one quarter of the way towards a generational leap. My hope is that it is canceled all together and replaced with a PS5 incorporating a much better GPU, at least twice the RAM, and at MINIMUM of 10TFlop GPU.

Sony is not changing spec so close to launch (i'm expecting november release). And no need to, still believe Scorpio will put MS in an ankward position, pretty much guarantees PS5 will be launching way ahead of XBtwo.

Sony can simply cancel the NEO all together, wait another year until 10nm is mature, and utilize a 10TFLOP "Vega" part in the PS4. Or, better yet, switch to NVIDIA who could offer significantly greater performance per watt.

What was the gap from XBox S reveal to release? 7 weeks, so it's possible retail don't know for the same reason they didn't know about Xbox S. FTR 7 weeks after the event is 26th October :)

My friend heard about Xbox One S before reveal.

Not from a MS rep from a Sony Rep telling him about knowing MS plan with a new model this year. He tells him no PS4 Neo this year...

And March 2017 for new Nintendo system.

Last edited:
babcat said:
The PS4 Neo is NOT a premium product. It is a a small, incremental upgrade (same RAM, tiny increase in CPU frequency, small GPU bump) that doesn't come even one quarter of the way towards a generational leap. My hope is that it is canceled all together and replaced with a PS5 incorporating a much better GPU, at least twice the RAM, and at MINIMUM of 10TFlop GPU.
That's a next generation product as you say yourself.
In comparison to the current ps4 the neo is a premium product. Just not next generation, or premium enough for you.
What would you consider to be a mid cycle premium product(ps4.5), without it being a ps5?

Edit - It's ok, I've seen your follow up post, no need to answer this.

Other thing Sony see the Xbox One S as a very good idea. And they were surprise by the 4k BR player.

But they were thinking the Xbox One S will be available just after E3...

A mid cycle system would have included the GPU clocked at the equivalent of the desktop 480, a completely new CPU (or a doubling of cores), and at least a doubling of RAM (8 to 16GB). Instead, we get a system that is essentially a mild GPU boost and NOTHING ELSE. And since the upcoming focus will be for high resolution, there will be little visible graphical boost in much games, because every bit of the GPU boost will be used up on 4K (in most games).

They don't have to render native 4K, but Sony is going to be pushing them to achieve 4K resolution one way or the other. Any method is going to utilize a significant amount of resources that will leave very little to make games look better.

Ok, maybe not Premium but 'high end' (really - are we that pedantic?). We shall see, but really - 30% is not tiny and 2.5x is not small. Either way what prices do you suggest? Bear in mind the PS4 is $350 today so if they are to release price details in September what's your best guess?

Sony is not changing spec so close to launch (i'm expecting november release). And no need to, still believe Scorpio will put MS in an ankward position, pretty much guarantees PS5 will be launching way ahead of XBtwo.
Pretty positive Sony is in the awkward position. Console in 2013 then 2016 and then another console in 2019/2020?
4K resolution requires 4x more power than 1080p. If 6TF gets a 1.3TF up to 4K. You would need > 16TF to get a 4.2TF quality graphics up to 4K.

You're not going to see that jump in 3 years from now at a reasonable TDP and price point. PS5 isn't going to be some massive generational switch unless we have fundamentally changed technology or have a break through somewhere. PS5 will be at best an improvement over Neo.

From GAF
Conversation is around the 6:50 mark. Here is some of what they say

- Sony has looked at upping the power compared to original spec
- There was an internal worry that the Neo may look outdated compared to Scorpio next year
- How much they can adjust Neo before launch, is unknown
- Final dev kits will release around the September 7th reveal

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1260081

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not from a MS rep from a Sony Rep telling him about knowing MS plan with a new model this year. He tells him no PS4 Neo this year...

And March 2017 for new Nintendo system.
May I ask that is your friend responsible for global sales or local sales?

I think this only implies that PS4K may not have a global launch. In worst case PS4K will still be released in several most important markets.

Pretty positive Sony is in the awkward position. Console in 2013 then 2016 and then another console in 2019/2020?
4K resolution requires 4x more power than 1080p. If 6TF gets a 1.3TF up to 4K. You would need > 16TF to get a 4.2TF quality graphics up to 4K.

You're not going to see that jump in 3 years from now at a reasonable TDP and price point. PS5 isn't going to be some massive generational switch unless we have fundamentally changed technology or have a break through somewhere. PS5 will be at best an improvement over Neo.

I'm not sure anyone would be expecting a massive leap from Neo to PS5 - and I'm not sure about your maths either. Last gen we had a what ~6 to 8x increase? This mid-gen we're looking at 2.5-4 which is around half last gen so a similar jump again to PS5 (ok, maybe a bit more) would put things back on track.

Having watched this I'm wondering if Sony may delay the launch, but (IMHO) it makes no sense to reveal and potentially ruin Christmas sales - as things stand they are plain sailing, if they were to dleay why not just reveal Jan/Feb next year?

How long before & are you saying the rep has outright told him no Neo this year?

How long before & are you saying the rep has outright told him no Neo this year?

Yes litterally no PS4 NEO this year. But a great new model of Xbox this year with a release just after E3...

Maybe one or two weeks before E3.

Edit: I did a post in B3D about it.

Yes litterally no PS4 NEO this year. But a great new model of Xbox this year with a release just after E3...

Maybe one or two weeks before E3.

Edit: I did a post in B3D about it.

So there's still time then as this is 4 weeks away...I'm just saying, smoke and mirrors.

I'm not sure anyone would be expecting a massive leap from Neo to PS5 - and I'm not sure about your maths either. Last gen we had a what ~6 to 8x increase? This mid-gen we're looking at 2.5-4 which is around half last gen so a similar jump again to PS5 (ok, maybe a bit more) would put things back on track.
This is an issue that both companies face. 4.2 or 6TF maxed out at 1080p can produce impressive visuals as opposed to wasting all that power on generating more pixels. A bit off topic so I'll not respond further on this as there is a better thread for it, But, Once again it really depends on what both companies are going to do here.

I believe MS is just going the resolution route so it's games will still have similar graphical fidelity to XBO based on their communications. From the sounds (earlier this thread) of it so will Neo to PS4.

However to have both resolution and fidelity bump appears to require a lot more power than both consoles offer this year. Perhaps double or triple the amount.

A lot of it (feedback I read here) just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For instance, chances are fairly good that PS4 will continue to outsell XBO S. So why drop the price? Just because you made a premium console? Why not just mark it up at a premium price and get paid more. There is no reason to drop price unless you are no longer meeting targets. Price could drop though if Neo was cheap. The used market would be flooded with people switching over to Neo.

There are just so many unanswered questions for me about Neo, less with Scorpio because the info is out there already. Nothing dire of course, they clearly have a strategy department that has both a plan and a vision. Just a lot of questions that I would love to know how they would approach the reactions from the market.

So honestly to withhold spewing garbage on this thread I'm going to wait and see what Sonys plan here is, MS as well for that matter, but genuinely very curious how this one plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an issue that both companies face. 4.2 or 6TF maxed out at 1080p can produce impressive visuals as opposed to wasting all that power on generating more pixels. A bit off topic so I'll not respond further on this as there is a better thread for it, But, Once again it really depends on what both companies are going to do here.

So MS have the tougher challenge then because Sony will be releasing earlier and weaker. From what I understand 6tf isn't quite enough for a consistent 4k experience (and almost certainly not 4k60 on the bigger games). The way I see it, Neo gives everyone a nice boost and makes PSVR a better experience, then in ~3 years we get a ~12TF PS5 which will give us a true 4k60 experience.

I've siad it before but I'll say it again, I now think MS & Sony are no longer looking to release in the same window...I expect PS5 2019/20 and XBNext the year (or 2 after at ~ 18TF). Each time they will have the most powful console ever made (mwahahahahaaa) and not have to worry too muc about the competition.

Having said all that I'm still stuck with MS because of their lack of true exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back