AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://videocardz.com/63033/gigabyte-radeon-rx-460-windforce-2x-performance-leaked

P11 rx 460 in action, yep it ended up slower than the gtx 950, this is why the frame locks were on ;)

Gigabyte-RX-460-WindForce-2X-GTA5.png

More leaks at the link.

I have my doubts about those numbers, there should be no possible scenario where R7 260X beats RX 460, yet there is at least one in those supposed benches
There actually _could_ be an explanation for this if you are referring to the doom/vulkan benchmark. The RX 460 is only 1/4 the performance of the RX 470 there whereas you'd expect it to be about half. It could be legit if the slowdown is due to massive texture swapping because of insufficient amount of memory - and in this case the RX 460 could be slower due to only having pcie 3.0 x8 connection.

the 470 is about right for a micro itx i'm building for my little cousin. The 970 uses way to much power , more than the 480 actually

I have no idea which 970s you were looking at, but the Tom´s for example measured the Reference 470 6W below the OC'ed MSI Gaming 970. So I am quite sure that the ITX designs of the 970 should be on the same level.

GP106 is ~200mm^2 whereas P11 is ~150mm^2 right? So a cut-down 3GB GP106 should be fair competition for P11? The problem for AMD is that such a card would give the RX460 a steaming hot golden shower. Then again I expect NVIDIA to price the GTX1050 accordingly so in the end you still get what you pay for and this gen plays out exactly as the last one.

AMD/Raja touted numerous architectural improvements with Polaris. Polaris also benefits from higher clock speeds and faster memory. So why is there so little improvement over the 3xx lineup? The 460 is basically even with a 370x. The 480 comes between the 390 and 390X. Was this really just a "dumb shrink"? Or are the drivers holding back performance?

370x = 2.8B transistors
460 = 3.0B transistors

390 = 6.2B transistors
480 = 5.7B transistors

AMD/Raja touted numerous architectural improvements with Polaris. Polaris also benefits from higher clock speeds and faster memory. So why is there so little improvement over the 3xx lineup? The 460 is basically even with a 370x. The 480 comes between the 390 and 390X. Was this really just a "dumb shrink"? Or are the drivers holding back performance?

370x = 2.8B transistors
460 = 3.0B transistors

390 = 6.2B transistors
480 = 5.7B transistors
Both the new cards have half the bus width of the previous generation products in your example. So there are significant increases in perf/GBps (architecture) and in perf/W (process+architecture).

A german madman polished down the die of a RX 470 (more here http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=11124532&postcount=10484)

28186269603_3dc54c3f1b_c.jpg

36 CUs confirmed.
After some additional polishing and improved illumination it looks like this (click on it for full resolution):

And after the final touch like this (a click gets you the full resolution image):

Pretty amazing for a private effort. More pictures can be found here on the flickr stream of the guy doing the lapping and the shots (OC_Burner of the 3DCenter forum aka Fritzchens Fritz on flickr).

Btw., the 36 CUs were confirmed before, when someone posted a low res photo of his broken RX480 (removed the heatsink by force after applying thermal glue instead of thermal compound and pulled the die off the substrate in the process :rolleyes:). But it was enough to count the CUs.

And just for reference:
polaris_10_die_layout2gp4m.png

Last edited:
Both the new cards have half the bus width of the previous generation products in your example. So there are significant increases in perf/GBps (architecture) and in perf/W (process+architecture).
The delta color compression is better in Polaris right? TechReport shows DCC in P10 being almost as good as Maxwell which is pretty damn good (though still far, far, far away from Pascal in this regard). Edit Um there is something wrong with TR's results here... GTX980 is 407/170Gbps (black/random) in the 1080 review and 286/172 in the 480 review. Not sure what's going on there. :-?

Finally, a decent AMD die shot! Thanks Gipsel.
I just linked to it. You have to thank OC_burner from the 3DCenter forum (or 'Fritchens Fritz' on flickr, same guy). He does all the work. As I said, it's pretty amazing what quality he gets without resorting to professional tools. It's a hobbyist's effort. But he definitely gained experience. The newer pictures are way better than the early ones just a year ago. Btw., on flickr he also shows work in progress photos.

Last edited:
Most of the improvements are small interative tweaks. The CUs are still highly similar to GCN1 (Radeon 7970). Nvidia's Fermi -> Kepler -> Maxwell -> Pascal (P100) are each (on their own) a bigger change to compute units than the whole GCN1 -> GCN4 iteration. Maxwell -> Pascal (gaming) is mostly minor tweaks + shrink + more CUs + lot higher clocks (to already great Maxwell architecture).

Biggest improvement in Polaris was the improved geometry pipeline (primitive discard accelerator). But Nvidia was already way ahead of AMD, so this wasn't enough to catch up. AMD is still however competetive in compute performance as GCN 1.0 was way ahead of its time in pure compute performance. Unfortunately for AMD, games are only now getting compute heavy, and Nvidia's Maxwell recently improved their compute performance a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back