Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this guy new to Windows or just an idiot?

It's not uncommon for non-conformant programs to be disabled with a new major update. It happens every time a Service Patch (basically what Anniversary Edition is) is released. The author even notes that the Classic Shell developers have released a patch to make it conformant with the Anniversary update. Like every other program in the history of Windows that has active developers and had their application disabled due to non-compliance with any changes in the newest update.

Hell, there are often regular Windows updates that can and will disable non-conformant programs between major service patches. Usually only if they cause system stability issues, however.

Talk about reporting on non-news.

Regards,
SB

I pulled the Anniversary Update onto my gaming rig on the 2nd, and ran into this oddity: Steam couldn't connect. I tried Steam on my tablet and it worked on the first try. Hmm... A few minutes later, I discovered my outbound firewall rules for Steam went missing. To make it more weird, the inbound rules still existed. WTF? The hard part was identifying the cause, the fix was 30 seconds and done.

The start menu has a slightly different feel to it with the addition of the scrollable apps list. Everything else appears to be what I expected -- to include the ~6GB disk space consumed to facilitate rollback to pre-anniversary OS state. Don't forget to purge that nonsense once you're done!! I updated my little Lenovo tablet and my Lenovo Y460 yesterday with no fuss. Steam didn't dork up on those two, which is nice.

Installing anniversary is probably going to be a huge chore for me, but that's because I did weird things to get Windows 10 installed on a USB 3.0 SSD drive.

Don't forget to purge that nonsense once you're done!!

I'd say that, unless you have very limited space available, do forget to purge it. Windows will do so all by itself after a while (during scheduled maintenance) and losing the ability to roll back if something goes wrong is a much worse hassle than the temporary loss of a little disk space.

One of my systems turned out to be unstable to the point of being unusable after the update but has previously been a rock ever since release. A quick rollback and it's all good again. I'll probably defer the update for a month or two until I have the time to troubleshoot (or MS has released a further patch or two).

I pulled the Anniversary Update onto my gaming rig on the 2nd, and ran into this oddity: Steam couldn't connect. I tried Steam on my tablet and it worked on the first try. Hmm... A few minutes later, I discovered my outbound firewall rules for Steam went missing. To make it more weird, the inbound rules still existed. WTF? The hard part was identifying the cause, the fix was 30 seconds and done.

The start menu has a slightly different feel to it with the addition of the scrollable apps list. Everything else appears to be what I expected -- to include the ~6GB disk space consumed to facilitate rollback to pre-anniversary OS state. Don't forget to purge that nonsense once you're done!! I updated my little Lenovo tablet and my Lenovo Y460 yesterday with no fuss. Steam didn't dork up on those two, which is nice.

At least when my SSD didn't have enough space for those 6GB, it just did the sensible thing and offered me to put it on another disc. I wish Visual Studio was that smart ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^ Yeah, you can always offload it to external media rather than straight to BALEETED status.

I've discovered no further issues since my previous post. Not sure what happened to Steam on my gaming rig, all the other W10Anniv upgrades in the house have worked without issue -- Lenovo tablet, Lenovo laptop, home-built 3930k gaming rig and a VM running underneath it in Hyper-V, my wife's Surface Pro 128gb original, and two more VM's running in the home server server rig.

I had to reauthorize at least three apps, including Skype ... Had to reauthorize local network sharing too. They did mention they were working on increasing security.

Dammit. Windows 10 anniversary broke my tablet.

Now it will totally froze, except the mouse, a few seconds after entering login screen.

What the hell

https://www.google.com/search?q=Win...i57.23056j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Heh. I'm. Not. Alone.

How can they have an update this buggy?

Heck, even the login screen have regression right at the front! (button to try again picture password is tucked on lower left corner. Like some kind of trash)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I've neglected my desktop for a while now. It was originally built a long time ago with Windows Vista, and from there updated to Windows 7. When Windows 8 was available I was able to do a fresh install on the secondary hard drive and dual boot Windows 7/8 on separate hard drives. The Windows 8 installation was eventually updated to Windows 8.1, and then put through the tortures of multiple Windows 10 insider builds. Even after the final Windows 10 release it was kept on the insider fast track and on the occasion that I would need my desktop, I would frequently find myself waiting for an update to finish. Well, I've neglected it for probably about 2 months, but I needed to scan something so I head down to my desktop to find the Windows 10 installation completely corrupt--it won't repair or boot. The only thing I can do is boot the old Windows 7 installation, which is completely fine and the hardware all seems fine as well.

So, now to my dilemma. I was too lazy to ever create a Windows 10 recovery disk or USB drive--and now I need it. Is there a quick way to create one without updating the windows 7 install to Windows 10 first? I'd really like to not jack up both installations. Plus, I had long time goals of reformatting one of the drives and starting fresh again, but that takes time and when you have a young toddler, your time is limited. Ideas?

Just download the iso? You can go to msdn to get the iso filename.

Then put it on Google and end it with "drive.google.com".

You will get a bunch of Windows 10 iso from Google Drive. You also can check it's sha if want to be safe

Ok, so I've neglected my desktop for a while now. It was originally built a long time ago with Windows Vista, and from there updated to Windows 7. When Windows 8 was available I was able to do a fresh install on the secondary hard drive and dual boot Windows 7/8 on separate hard drives. The Windows 8 installation was eventually updated to Windows 8.1, and then put through the tortures of multiple Windows 10 insider builds. Even after the final Windows 10 release it was kept on the insider fast track and on the occasion that I would need my desktop, I would frequently find myself waiting for an update to finish. Well, I've neglected it for probably about 2 months, but I needed to scan something so I head down to my desktop to find the Windows 10 installation completely corrupt--it won't repair or boot. The only thing I can do is boot the old Windows 7 installation, which is completely fine and the hardware all seems fine as well.

So, now to my dilemma. I was too lazy to ever create a Windows 10 recovery disk or USB drive--and now I need it. Is there a quick way to create one without updating the windows 7 install to Windows 10 first? I'd really like to not jack up both installations. Plus, I had long time goals of reformatting one of the drives and starting fresh again, but that takes time and when you have a young toddler, your time is limited. Ideas?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

See... Completely out of the loop. I didn't even know they allowed this now. Hopefully I can repair this installation without needing to reformat today. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back