XB1 getting Bitstream for Advanced Audio Formats like Dolby Atmos in future FW update

Why this matters for those not playing along at home is currently the xbox one can bitstream audio, however it ends up translating Dolby Atmos into basic 7.1 bitstream, so the extra Atmos channels are missing.

I think importantly it means the new Scorpio and Neo can provide anyone with the full experience for Bluray 4k without the need for a dedicated box.

I think importantly it means the new Scorpio and Neo can provide anyone with the full experience for Bluray 4k without the need for a dedicated box.

Uhm, why does what MS does with XBox One S or Xbox Scorpio have any meaning on what Sony may do with Neo?

PlayStation is already able to support Atmos. Neo is going to do 4k bluray

Is that known for certain? It might be inferred that Sony Neo will have 4K BluRay support but I have yet to see anything official. I know the leaked docs mention 4K gaming output but I don't recall any explicit mention of 4K BluRay. And yes, it would be stupid for Sony to not support something on upcoming hardware that already exists on released MS hardware.

Yeah, it's not like Sony has a vested interest in the Bluray format or anything.

Yeah, it's not like Sony has a vested interest in the Bluray format or anything.
Why would they cannibalize their highend UHD 4K BluRay Player market with a cheaper console?

So $599 was cheaper? [At time of PS3 release]
Yep. PS3 was both the cheapest and probably best BRD player out there at launch. It made buying a standalone Sony BRD player a completely stupid choice. However, videophiles without knowledge of the console would happily pay more mark-up to Sony for the player, while the more savvy shopper bought into Sony's console ecosystem and still expanded the BRD install base.

More importantly, PS3 sold much better and faster than any BluRay player and so did wonders for the format's installbase. And of course games benefited of the extra size too. UHD is a lot less obvious in terms of advantages in that respect, with people moving towards streaming formats, but it's certainly still the best way to show off a good sound system and pixel quality. And VR movie experiences will definitely benefit from the format too, because along with the headset resolutions they will probably end up beeing two to four times the res of 4K movies before people consider them as sharp as a 'regular' HDtv experience.

Yep. PS3 was both the cheapest and probably best BRD player out there at launch. It made buying a standalone Sony BRD player a completely stupid choice. However, videophiles without knowledge of the console would happily pay more mark-up to Sony for the player, while the more savvy shopper bought into Sony's console ecosystem and still expanded the BRD install base.

The one caveat here being the decision, which has been repeated for the PS4, to not include an IR sensor. If you had a lot of money invested in an integrated control system at the time and were not a gamer, I can see this being a deal-killer. It still annoys me now!

That's the incentive to buy a $1000 Sony standalone BRD player instead of a PS3. ;)

If, again at that time, you had invested a significant amount of money in a custom control system (think touchscreen control, ir blasters, lighting control, maybe a motorized screen for a projector), then yes, I think it would be.

Back