Why Sony, why? :(

Isn't it really obvious why the movie is getting such strong support and hate? It's not even about the movie. The pr people knew exactly what they were doing, they put the crazies from each side to fight it out on the internet, then label people accordingly to invalidate any form of constructive criticism and you got a winner. Too bad it didn't really pay out in terms of box office success, but at least it generated some buzz, eh? :p More than this movie deserves anyway.

And to clarify what i said above, the main reason i find this "gender war" disturbing is because it is highly exploitable. It's just too easy to make people angry at each other nowadays, and it's mostly all done for monetary profit, so easy to forget about that when you are so invested into it too. I highly doubt Paul Feig and Sony wanted to change social views on lead women characters with this movie, else they would have put more care and love into those characters instead of putting so much effort into the pr political agenda this movie seems to be all about; hence, internet drama.

Yup. Especially once they realized that the movie trailers were almost universally being panned except by people that were too afraid of being labeled as misogynists.

There's been plenty of films with strong female leads that no one has a problem with. And why would they? They were good movies with good plots. This could have been another one, but no, Sony Pictures went for the cheap cash grab instead. Considering how many good films Sony Pictures has produced, I'm still shocked by this.

Exophase showed a great example of how you replace male leads with female leads without destroying a franchise. I myself had doubts about it during the first season, but after seeing how they treated the series, I thought they did a great job.

Ghostbusters was just a cash grab. The plot was horrible. The whole thing was incredibly inconsistent with the previous two movies in the franchise. Even the Star Trek reboot, which I hated, at least treated the previous movies with some level of respect and maintained at least some consistency with the previous iterations.

Ghostbusters threw everything from the previous movies in the trash. It cast all female leads (not a problem had the plot been good and the series treated with respect). Not only that, it then made the female leads into caricatures that don't even do anything to promote women. So if the director and writer had wanted to promote women as strong role models, they certainly went about it the wrong way. The leads could just as easily have been men and it would have received the same outrage from fans of the original Ghostbusters.

The original Ghostbusters was an intelligent comedy with some slapstick elements. From everything I've read and all the reviews I've seen, the new movie is nothing but an unintelligent attempt at a Saturday Night Live style slapstick comedy. And it even fails at that.

It really just feels like Sony threw the directors a bunch of money and said make "something" with a Ghostbusters name. Then someone in charge (Sony, the director, or the writer) decided to make it all female cast just in case it wasn't well received. Then if the movie got bad reviews or the trailers had a bad reception they could then play the misogyny card and get mainstream media involved. And at the same time they could shut up critics by either making them too afraid to say anything negative (or be labeled a misogynist) or if they did post something negative they'd get attacked as being misogynists.

Of course, it back fired a bit when actual feminists came out to defend the critics calling it a bad movie because it was a bad movie.

But all of that is just a sideshow for why I made this thread.

I'm sad that after so many years, Sony Pictures would have greenlit such a horrible film and basically crap all over the original Ghostbusters. And then in an attempt to deflect criticism they had to drag politics into it.

But mostly, I'm just extremely disappointed in the movie and how it was treated. I hated the Star Trek reboot, but at least they treated the franchise with some respect. Ghostbusters? Nope, no respect at all. Just a cheap cash grab with no respect for the franchise.

Regards,
SB

Apparently, a gender-swapped Ocean's Eleven is in the works, starring Sanda Bullock. Given that I had no idea this was a thing until I went looking for it I get the feeling it didn't generate nearly as much controversy as Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters threw everything from the previous movies in the trash. It cast all female leads (not a problem had the plot been good and the series treated with respect). Not only that, it then made the female leads into caricatures that don't even do anything to promote women. So if the director and writer had wanted to promote women as strong role models, they certainly went about it the wrong way. The leads could just as easily have been men and it would have received the same outrage from fans of the original Ghostbusters.

The original Ghostbusters was an intelligent comedy with some slapstick elements. From everything I've read and all the reviews I've seen, the new movie is nothing but an unintelligent attempt at a Saturday Night Live style slapstick comedy. And it even fails at that.

Just because a movie has a mainly female cast it is under no obligation to "promote women as strong role models".

Also, you have a a lot of opinions about a movie you haven't even seen.

aside from all the issues with misandry the movie had , the biggest problem is it was a reboot but still wanted the original actors in it.

The movie would have done better even with the all female leads if they connected it properly to the original films. Instead you just have another Melissa mcarthy movie where she is trying to be chris Farley and it really doesn't hold up well. Even the special effects made the ghosts look video gamey instead of scary.

Then you have the misandry problem and the contempt of all things men in this current society movement we are in the midst of and you had a recipe for the a ton of fans to just not want to go and see the movie.

Also, you have a a lot of opinions about a movie you haven't even seen.

Pushing the comedy level down to fart/queef joke material is pretty much 95% of what I need to know about how much I'll enjoy the movie. I have refused to see other movies for less than that (and what do you know, movies with male leads and shit).
The other 5% I took from the trailer and reviews from sources I usually trust.

Judge away. I don't care.

Apparently, a gender-swapped Ocean's Eleven is in the works, starring Sanda Bullock. Given that I had no idea this was a thing until I went looking for it I get the feeling it didn't generate nearly as much controversy as Ghostbusters.
people wont complain until its closer to release , wait till the trailers at least.

Ghostbusters generated a lot of dumb nonsense long before the first trailers hit.

Like both the links in this article.. and the article itself: http://jezebel.com/new-all-feminist-ghostbusters-is-a-punch-in-the-dick-to-1682292125

I think your problem is your reading jezebel

The real issue is the new wave of Feminism. Woman's rights are now on par with men's rights and its getting better all the time for women at least in the USA . For men well its just getting worse. The family courts are woefully sexist against men , men die sooner , men are less likely to graduate highschool , and college. As all this is going on misandry is getting more and more pronounced. There is no reason you have to take beloved characters and change them all to women. If you want to put strong women in the franchise then do it but don't do it at the expensive of the men. The originals had strong female presence in the supporting cast.

Its like with the new star wars movie. I think it was great that we got a female jedi as one of the main characters. I love the fact that Rey has gotten my niece into star wars. That is all great , however why push it further ? why is she mastering powers that took luke multiple movies to master and heck she was using them better than he ever did. She put some of the prequel jedi's to shame in force usage. Luke was a believable character , the majority of the time he needed his friends to bail him out. Him and Han go save Leia and boom she is the one getting them out of the prison block , r2d2 is getting them out of the trash , Obi wan stalls vader for him to escape. He even needs han to save him so he can take the shot on the death star. Empire han needs to come out and save him at the start of the movie on hoth , lando and Leia save him in cloud city heck even in Return Vader saves him from the Emperor. Rey however is the one that is saving people . She can fly the falcon , she fixes the posion gas , she releases the space monster , she fixes the falcon , she frees her self , she saves finn and so on. I think that's a problem all these movies are making. They are afraid to show realistic women and in doing that they are driving away the fans

I think your problem is your reading jezebel

I don't, that's just one of the most blatant examples I could find in a quick search.

Not going to really comment on the feminism vs men's rights stuff, but I think there's a valid enough argument behind Rey being far too capable. The drama generated over this does remind me a lot of the GB fiasco. On the one hand, if you label her a "Mary Sue" you'll get called a sexist even though it's pretty blatant. On the other hand, people are saying the studio is afraid to make anything but a hyper-competent female character, which could very well be true, but it could also be that they were always going to make the new Jedi ridiculously capable because they think fans don't want to start below the level set by the previous characters after their extensive experience.

I don't, that's just one of the most blatant examples I could find in a quick search.

Not going to really comment on the feminism vs men's rights stuff, but I think there's a valid enough argument behind Rey being far too capable. The drama generated over this does remind me a lot of the GB fiasco. On the one hand, if you label her a "Mary Sue" you'll get called a sexist even though it's pretty blatant. On the other hand, people are saying the studio is afraid to make anything but a hyper-competent female character, which could very well be true, but it could also be that they were always going to make the new Jedi ridiculously capable because they think fans don't want to start below the level set by the previous characters after their extensive experience.

No , I think you can see it across all media . Guardians of the galaxy you have Star lord being an idiot while the rest of the group is capable. You have it in harry potter where ron is an idiot , harry gets by on sheer luck or someone elses work and then the female Herminie is the smart one. Percy Jackson has the same issue and so on. Its across almost all media right now even a lot of cleaning and cooking products show the guys as idiots and the women as the smart ones who hold it all together.

There is no reason you have to take beloved characters and change them all to women. If you want to put strong women in the franchise then do it but don't do it at the expensive of the men. The originals had strong female presence in the supporting cast.

What characters did the new Ghostbusters movie turn into women?

What characters did the new Ghostbusters movie turn into women?
The 4 Ghostbusters are all females. Their characters are all stereotypes too, really bad non-funny ones.

I dont think I would consider this a feminist movie but more of a fenale hates all men movie. The female roles do not promote strong female characters.

I think the problem is all the male characters in the movie are idiots , except for the taxicab driver cameo by Dan Akryod

They turned the receptionist into a male bimbo.
They made the main bad guy into a male loser.
They made the mayor into a male idiot.
They made the ghost expert denier into an egotistical bastard.
They made the man who saw the ghosts at the hotel into an idiot who screams like a girl.
The only other male part in the movie was the stereotypical asian food delivery person.

The 4 Ghostbusters are all females. Their characters are all stereotypes too, really bad non-funny ones.

Having not seen the movie it is my impression that these are all new characters, not the same characters as the 1984 movie. But I could be mistaken?

Having not seen the movie it is my impression that these are all new characters, not the same characters as the 1984 movie. But I could be mistaken?
I think they are replacements, as the events in the origional movies seems to have never happened. To be honest, I dont even remember the names of the new characters because the movie never pulled me in to care about them.

I just remembered there was a very funny joke on the old Ghost Busters where Bill calls an antagonist "mr. Dickless". That certainly wouldn't fly in a pc society, you know, using the absence of male genitalia as a demeaning characteristic and all that.

I just remembered there was a very funny joke on the old Ghost Busters where Bill calls an antagonist "mr. Dickless". That certainly wouldn't fly in a pc society, you know, using the absence of male genitalia as a demeaning characteristic and all that.
That's not how the joke goes and you've consistently misspelled Ghostbusters in this thread. I'm starting to suspect you're a fake Ghoster Guy.

Hi guys, my first post here, and I've decided to tackle THIS thread, pheeew...

Okay, so the movie has been out now for a while, and I still haven't seen it. I loved the original Ghostbusters, mainly because I love Bill Murrays kind of dry humor. I saw it as a child, and as such it will always have a nostalgic shimmer in my mind.

I'll probably watch this once it's out on Netflix, on a rainy sunday when I'm hungover, because that's the kind of movie that first trailer sold me.

I've seen a LOT of reviews of this movie, and many of them, even though they don't like the movie itself, are super-apologetic about their thougts in order to not be seen as sexist. The entire debate around this movie has, in my mind, mad a big disservice to the movie to be viewed objectively.

I don't care about the fact that they are female. I don't even care that it a reboot of a classic film. In fact, I'm probably one of the very few cinephiles who actually believes that reboots can be a good, even great thing. I love it when a reboot is able to tell a classic story through a new lense, even if it is not as good or on par with the original. I try to see every movie I watch on its own merits. And well, that first trailer (the only one I've seen) really sold this as an incredibly dull movie, by its own standard. Also, I am a little fed up with Melissa McBride, just as JLaw and Miles Teller, there is WAY too many movies with these stars in them over the last few years....

So are you guys having to apologize for not liking the movie? Or are you championing for it to everyone you know because you think it is an important issue?

Back