Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it does secure your info in the case of burglary. Is it really that bad? I use a short code for Windows just to keep out troublemakers, but it adds zero time to the login. The only stupid thing with Windows 10 was wanting to use the same login for my hotmail account as a universal email account, and then wanting me to use the long, secure email password to enter the PC. But as that could be replaced with a PIN, it's not really an issue.

I use the Windows account login, and have always kept a 'proper' login on Windows 7 before that, so now it's justa big plus that no matter if I am using, say, Word, my recent documents are the same on my IPad, PC, iPhone, etc., don't have to setup my email if I happen to logon on my wife's laptop, and so on. Really warming up to that part of the Cloud era. :)

I also like Siri and Cortana. I like being able to startup an application with it without stopping what I'm doing. :p

What I don't understand, is why Windows still doesn't support DirectAudio. Such a missed opportunity - it's so nice on all the other platforms (all of them support it, except Windows).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Windows 10 decided to 'fix' one of my SSD's by turning it from NTFS into a raw.
Note after it does this it will 'helpfully' ask if you want to format the SSD so its viewable, obviously press no, heres what you can use to recover your data
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
From a google seems its happened to quite a few ppl
That is something that can happen in older versions of Windows too, the instances I have seen have been the MBR being corrupted and nothing else wrong basically.

"You can still get Windows 10 for free with this trick"

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12340318/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available

Microsoft’s free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended last week, or did it? The software giant has introduced a “free upgrade offer extension” for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users who use assistive technologies. While, technically, the free upgrade offer for the general public has ended, Microsoft has introduced a loophole with this extension that lets anyone get Windows 10 for free.

All you need to do is download an EXE file from Microsoft’s hidden away accessibility site*, and the Windows 10 upgrade will commence without any checks. Microsoft says it has not announced an end date for the upgrade extension, and the company will make a public announcement when it plans to remove the free Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users.

*https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acc...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-zKgF59cH1VFbxPEUSxGV9g)()

Call me cynical, but that IMO is an underground way to keep getting people to upgrade. Create a loophole enabling people to upgrade knowing that the technical press will cover it, and the word will spread. The purpose of the time limit was to get people expecting it to be enforced to upgrade. Now that's done its job, there's no benefit to MS in eliminating the the upgrade route, but just extending the offer smacks more of desperation I think. Making it a way to cheat the system and get something for free is more appealing.

That is something that can happen in older versions of Windows too, the instances I have seen have been the MBR being corrupted and nothing else wrong basically.
Prolly but its the first time for me, the most annoying thing is a popup dialog will appear every so often (multiple times per log in session) asking me 'drive F does not seem to be formatted, do you want to format now' OK fair enuf I suppose but some bad design there is the default button is 'format' (and not cancel) thus if I was pressing enter just as the popup occured I could run the risk of losing data (though I assume theres also another dialog, but for important stuff like this which can result in data loss they should make default action, cancel i.e. make the person actively select the format option)

WRT to my RAW device Im gonna first buy a new SSD, do a complete copy of the raw SSD onto the new one (very easy with http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) and then format the disk, I have already copied the important stuff but you never know I could of missed something

And that's common MS tactics, right? For OSs I mean

With XP Pro Corporate and later warez Windows 7 versions that are a bit too easily "genuine" there's always been some kind of leniency. This time is a bit unusual as it benefits legitimate users.
There was a time I ran Server 2003 32bit, illegitimately. It was an awesome OS, but what I find to be the most interesting feature (run as many Remote Desktop sessions as you want) was pretty locked away. Even running just one on localhost, after a few monthes it would piss you off and say your mercy period has passed. (I found it was really cool : in a window, you get a whole separate desktop running on the same PC)

So, they'd let me run warez Windows as much as I want but if there's something they really want locked up, they lock it up. Running several desktop sessions on the same PC, perhaps 15 or 20 ones accessed from all over the house's network while not paying through the nose is a big no-no. With the zillion of gigabytes and cores even a cheap PC may have today and how easy Windows makes it, it would be all too easy to maintain just a single Windows PC on a lan and run the latest Word, Internet Explorer and Solitaire from it.

Yup, I've had that happen with an HDD in the past on Windows Server 2003 and an SSD on Windows 8.1. With Windows 8.1 it was my boot drive. Easy enough to fix though, if you know what you're doing. If not, I can imagine the panic attacks it'll induce. Thankfully it's pretty rare.

Regards,
SB

Now that's done its job, there's no benefit to MS in eliminating the the upgrade route, but just extending the offer smacks more of desperation I think.
This IS pretty damn desperate. Jesus. Anyhow, I would gladly pay the €/$150 or whatever if it meant all the data siphoning/spyware shit and forced updates was permanently disabled. I never found paying for an OS bothersome, I'm blaming Apple for MS forcing itself on me like this. :D

I think Microsoft is clearly and understandably looking for a way to make Windows 10 as a free service a possibility, for instance by including adverts,making money on the App Store, etc ... So yeah, we have the mobile world to thank for it. But I sure do hope this will remain optional somehow.

So the Anniversary Update is out & installed.
Going through turning stuff off/resetting to what I prefer (most seems to have stayed at my setting but some is reset)

Yeah, thats like the key new feature though.
And yes, one of my first thoughts was that I kinda wanna turn it off lol.

Anniversary Update hides programs, forces Skype on users

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update was released earlier this evening, and I dutifully installed it so that I could write about any oddities that might pop up. Well, a number of oddities have popped up, and they're bad - really bad. The Anniversary Update does some really shady stuff during installation that it doesn't inform you of at all until after the fact.
http://www.osnews.com/story/29332/Anniversary_Update_hides_programs_forces_Skype_on_users

how do I not show the list of apps in the start

I didn't feel like adding more bad news to the thread yesterday, but they want you to have no say in it.
Removal of the setting is one feature of the big update, both even on Windows 10 Pro, and even if your computer is connected to an AD domain.
There is no way around it and the lock screen got mandatory too.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

It can't be avoided, except with Windows 10 Enterprise but getting it is impractical (how many licenses have to be paid for, and monthly/annually?) or Windows Server 2016 which I guess will be the sane desktop option for something like $800.

Or you should not use the start menu at all, hence something like Classic Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back