Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Grall yeah! Windows home is bloody limited in a few rarely used stuff, but important.

My tablet use Windows 10 home Blargh.

It also have broken metro app (can't even install anything).

Hmm.. I guess I can wipe it, then pirate windows 7 pro and get windows 10 activated for free, illegally..

Tomorrow the last date for free Windows 10 offer right?

You will use Cortana, Microsoft says
Humph :|

What was that thing the Borg did? Assimilate?
borg95.gif

It works fine in every desktop application I try. I haven't tried any "apps", though.

Well, a reboot didn't fix the issue, but I found out what is causing it. I find the "snap to edge" assistant annoying when dragging windows between monitors so I disabled it. Unfortunately in Windows 10 it also disables the ability to drag a windows out of a maximized window state. That isn't the case in Windows 8/8.1. I could safely disable Windows snap there without disabling the drag feature.

So, I need to figure out how to disable Windows Snap without also disabling the ability to drag a window out of the maximized state. Either that or determine which is the more annoying feature to have. /sigh. How many ways can Microsoft F-up Windows 10?

Disabling mouse sticking to the edge between monitors when dragging a Window would also be fine as it's that behavior and not Windows Snap in particular that is annoying as all f-ing hell.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The more I hear about Windows 10, the more I don't want it...
Just gotta get all game companies to make games with Vulkan & release them on other OS, such as *BSD. (No kernels don't count so screw your l***x :p)

Yes, well, don't buy into all the negativity, because a lot of it is just click bait, regular upgrade issues and user er ... unfamiliarity ;) The one issue we've had so far in the office was that the customer we work for uses an ancient way out of support VPN client that can still be made to work but sometimes causes LDAP issues. I personally blame that on the company not upgrading - the previous company I worked for ditched it more than 3 years ago and it was old then. It occasionally, when I time the connect wrong (e.g. when something is trying to use it) crashes my Windows 8 machine as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro
Cortana isn't listed as being removed, but who know?
Surely if you 'bought' Pro with that feature, MS can't just take it away? I mentioned this regards games changing after purchase, that there really needs to be some safeguards over material changes in a product after purchase. A car manufacturer can't visit your new car and take away the aircon unit after a year; software companies shouldn't be allowed to change the software. They may claim T&Cs allow them to, but T&Cs can't fundamentally circumvent the very basis of the commercial contract and the exchange of goods, time, money or labour, without basically breaking the principle of trust and trade.

Can there be an insider only thing where, if you are an insider, and you have Pro, you can't disable that stuff because it is "sooooooooooo" important to MS that these features are enabled in insider builds?

Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro
Cortana isn't listed as being removed, but who know?
Wtf they are going to force to lock screen on users? That fucking thing doesn't even make sense on a desktop :')

hopefully they don't fuck with the autologin skipping the lock screen otherwise my htpc must migrate to Linux.

Maybe I should get my brother to buy the education version for me. If you are in university you should be able to get that one, right?

Wtf they are going to force to lock screen on users? That fucking thing doesn't even make sense on a desktop :')
Well it does secure your info in the case of burglary. Is it really that bad? I use a short code for Windows just to keep out troublemakers, but it adds zero time to the login. The only stupid thing with Windows 10 was wanting to use the same login for my hotmail account as a universal email account, and then wanting me to use the long, secure email password to enter the PC. But as that could be replaced with a PIN, it's not really an issue.

Well it does secure your info in the case of burglary. Is it really that bad? I use a short code for Windows just to keep out troublemakers, but it adds zero time to the login.
How does the LOCK screen secure anything more securely than the actual password prompt does, and has always done, for like 20+ years...?

And yeah, it IS really that bad, because when you wanna log in and windows is showing that totally useless lock screen, you have to wait for it to scroll OFF the screen, and while it is scrolling you can't start entering your password; all key presses are completely ignored. And it adds more than zero time to login, due to the scrolling. Fucking useless shite, that's what it is. Toss that crap away, put the clock ON THE LOGIN SCREEN, DONE!

Oh, okay. Forgot about that screen (I've gone back to Win 7 :p). On the PS4 the camera recognition, when it behaves itself, logs directly in from that lock screen. I guess MS and the NSA want everyone to use camera based log in...

(I've gone back to Win 7 :p)
Haha. Any particular reason?

I really must say I'm really rather loath to continue using W10, it feels way too much like spyware when an OS absolutely shouldn't feel like spyware at all. Worst of all? I don't even know what kind of information exactly it is my PC is leaking or where exactly it's being sent, because MS isn't telling.

The forced windows update shit have popped up reminders that it wants to restart my PC on my screen while I've been fucking raiding a dungeon for chrissakes (if you've seen this reminder, it steals focus and splays on top of everything else), and the "windows experiences" bullshit you can't turn off in the coming update dumping shit like Candy Crush, which I never asked for, on my PC is just completely unconsciable. What in the ever-loving fuck is that even?!

Who ever thought that any of this stuff was a good idea? It all smacks of clueless desperation. MS is seeing its traditional business model of owning the market and selling expensive mandatory software fading into obsolescence, their attempts to embrace mobile computing have all failed because they were too late to enter the market, and now they're flinging shit at the wall, hoping something will stick so they can shore up their revenue streams again.

However much I don't like Windows 10, I fear going back to Windows 7 is not a much better option based on the whole GWX debacle from MS. It feels better to be on their preferred platform and then find solutions to the myriad of annoyances. For instance, a self-protecting software firewall with HIPS and nice IP blocklists (on the packet level, not hosts file) helps a lot.

Haha. Any particular reason?
Actually it was development issues, and focussing on a single known quantity. That is, I was having problems and going back to Win 7 eliminates one of the variables. TBH I only upgraded to Win 10 because of the deadline, and put it on another SSD so it's there to swap when I need, when Win 7 is killed off. Hopefully by then after enough public outcry, Win 10 might be the OS we should be getting? That's typically the way of it AFAICS regards MS and their OSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back