NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

From 320 to 150(390x to 480) Just wow...

Honestly, there figure seems a bit strange to me in some cases... It seems their technic on the paper is good, but again honestly.. i dont know.

Its not really a website who have a reputation on hardware test, ( in fact it is not an hardware review site, even if time to time they have some review ) they are more on general consumers products test, TV, monitors, speakers, sound system... But interessant none the less.

Last edited:
Influence of ASIC Quality on Max Boost Clock - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Reference

After having had a look at 11 different GeForce GTX 980 Ti reference graphics cards we’ve gathered quite a few interesting results. The lowest ASIC value we measured was 56.4% and the highest was 80.2%. In our opinion the spread is huge and we were suprised this fact. The difference is a whopping 23.8% and things become especially worrying looking at the corresponding clock speeds. The card which had an ASIC quality of 56.4% had a maximum boost clock of 1139 MHz, whereas the 80.2% card ran at 1240MHz.
maxboostclock_watermark_1_3597e.jpg

In the end we believe there are two really interesting facts, which can be extracted from these tests. First of all there is the fact, that vendors sell one and the same graphics but the clock speeds vary by up to 100MHz or even more. Therefore, depending on luck, you can end up with a graphics card which is almost 8.9% faster, then another one, which is supposed to be the very same card. Apart from that it is interesting to see that there is a linear dependency between ASIC quality and boost clock speed – which we actually measured using GPU-Z and 3DMark Firestrike.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=3946

Quadro SLI Certification for MSI X99A Workstation motherboard

MSI is proud to announce the world’s first channel motherboard that passed the NVIDIA Quadro SLI certification, the upcoming MSI X99A WORKSTATION.
X99A WORKSTATION adopts the unique Steel Armor and optimized PCI Express slots placement as well, to ensure perfect stability and compatibility. Steel Armor on the MSI X99A WORKSTATION has more solder points on the PCB for more strength. It also protects the PCI-Express signals against electromagnetic interference for hassle-free rendering and stability during heavy tasks.
MSI expects a vast list of X99 and Z170 motherboards to be certified with NVIDIA® Quadro® SLI in the coming weeks, including the X99A SLI PLUS, Z170 SLI PLUS and C236A WORKSATION, which are made for animators and designers.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/quadro-sli-cetification-for-msi-x99a-workstation-motherboard.html

Nice. I look at it as a rebate on the 1070 I just bought.

I bet a tiny percentage of people actually redeem these so it probably won't be that much money.

Yeah that is part of my thoughts as well.
how will it affect those who purchased more recently with the discount-EOL price we have seen for the 970.
Could be a nice bonus for those that just could not stretch to the 8GB 480 or 1060 due to financial constraints.

But I can see legal argument that it should apply to specific period as well.
Will be interesting, and also if it is just North America.
Cheers

Yeah that is part of my thoughts as well.
how will it affect those who purchased more recently with the discount-EOL price we have seen for the 970.
Could be a nice bonus for those that just could not stretch to the 8GB 480 or 1060 due to financial constraints.

But I can see legal argument that it should apply to specific period as well.
Will be interesting, and also if it is just North America.
Cheers

Well all the law suits were in the US, so yeah it will probably be limited to US. But would be interesting if other country's jurisdictions will start up with this as well.

Lanek most likely it will be everyone who signed up for the lawsuit to begin with. After the fact maybe a month or two of time the law firm will give time for people to contact them, but after that, the grace period for signing up will end. So yeah the impact can be very limited.

PS I signed up for it but am disappointed, 30 bucks isn't much, but again, the performance of the card didn't change either so, I guess its ok.

It's not exclusive to the people who signed up for the lawsuit, and apparently it's not exclusive to the US either.

Amazon US is already in the process of giving 20% back to the people who bought a GTX970 and referred to the lawsuit. In reddit, there are people claiming that Amazon UK is already considering the rebate.

Maybe all of it will go unnoticed, or maybe it might hit unforeseen proportions.

I think the biggest difference here is that nvidia is admitting guilt (probably because the direction of the lawsuit was seemingly not going in their favor). This opens a whole new can of worms.

I think the biggest difference here is that nvidia is admitting guilt (probably because the direction of the lawsuit was seemingly not going in their favor). This opens a whole new can of worms.
Is it? From what I've read at topclassactions, they are explicitly denying any wrongdoing.

From your link above:
"Nvidia denied all allegations of wrongdoing, and both parties entered into the settlement and agreed upon the terms, believing them to be in the best interests of all parties involved."

Last edited:
Okay they're not admitting any guilt.
They're giving money to customers out of all those denied allegations of wrongdoing.

I'm aware that the company did not (would never) openly admit any kind of guilt in a court of law, but the fact that they're apparently giving money to GTX970 owners sends a very clear message out there.

Okay they're not admitting any guilt.
They're giving money to customers out of all those denied allegations of wrongdoing.

I'm aware that the company did not (would never) openly admit any kind of guilt in a court of law, but the fact that they're apparently giving money to GTX970 owners sends a very clear message out there.
They're not admitting guilt and settled on giving money to people so they wouldn't HAVE TO admit guilt in court in the end

They're not admitting guilt and settled on giving money to people so they wouldn't HAVE TO admit guilt in court in the end

Yes, as I wrote above, not in court. But to the rest of the world..

Nvidia graphics cards cost approximately $350 and the anticipated $30 payout was calculated to represent a portion of the cost of the storage and performance capabilities the consumers thought they were obtaining in the purchase of the product, according to the proposed settlement.

It's not exclusive to the people who signed up for the lawsuit, and apparently it's not exclusive to the US either.

Amazon US is already in the process of giving 20% back to the people who bought a GTX970 and referred to the lawsuit. In reddit, there are people claiming that Amazon UK is already considering the rebate.

Maybe all of it will go unnoticed, or maybe it might hit unforeseen proportions.

Once its settled that's it, there is no more anyone can do to touch nV for the 970 incident (now they can go to court and try to do it with another law firm (the current one that got the settlement most likely will not be able to do it again, nor will other law firms pick it up because the court will see nV has been trying to settle the matter, so it becomes much harder to win a case now). Now Amazon's thing is Amazon's own doing, that has nothing to do with nV.

Also the settling of the matter, will happen in all jurisdictions across US. So other people in other countries can still sue if they want.....

Back