No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

I prefer the aspect of true discovery. That's what feels magical to me. I am actually setting foot where no Man has gone before ! Not even the dev has seen what i am going into.Call me a dreamer for that.

I would love to see play spaces that are not spoon-fed and designed for me. It will all truly be unpredictable and truly be my journey. There would be no " oh the game wants me to do this first " or " I am doing it wrong ". The game doesn't care for me, it's the outer space, anything can happen, literally. Prepare and have true discoveries and tragedies. I mean my story arc could be completely different from others. Even the dev has no idea where I will spawn and whether I would be strolling parks or surviving each minute right off the bat ! I know they would make outer planets easier and whatnot but the theme is random, the first vista is random , the first reaction is unknown for all !!!! :love: the very idea of it!

Each man to his own, no one can walk u through ur situation. It's u the lonely astronaut figuring out as you go !

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone's questioning that appeal. It's the long term appeal that's being doubted. In true exploration, it's hard! It takes months/years and hardship to find a new land and give your name to the animals and plants and features. In NMS, you find a new planet every five minutes. All the novel creatures aren't going to remain novel because after a few planets, you'll be tuned in to the variety. When a kangaroo was seen for the first time, it was completely unlikely anything else before seen, and unbelievable. When a spiny something-or-other is encountered in NMS, it's just another evolution simulation adapting some arbitrary parameters. When you've spent two days climbing a mountain, the view is incredible. When you've landed a space-ship on mountain number 38, the view is just another vista.

And ultimately I think it's the ease of discovery that means discovery is lacking value in NMS. It's all about the big numbers. What if there were far less planets, and getting from one to another was hard work? That you spend a lot of time on one planet, building resources, before you can make the next jump? Then each planet would be something special, scary, fantastic. How about making the game solo only and giving every player their own galaxy, unique to them? You can share it via media so your friends can see what happened to you, and experience unique adventures, which could actually be adventures because the effort required to progress could make progressing an achievement.

I think it worth noting that Elite had procedural planets, but the core was predetermined to ensure it was well balanced for fun. If you really wanted to fly out to the extremes, you could, but for most of us it was a samey set of planets not worth seeing. That's not to say NMS should be hand-crafted and identical for all, but I think less planets and more value to them would make the game more gripping. That or adding multiplayer, perhaps capped to limited numbers in any instance so that you don't get massive empires like Eve.

Maybe they actually mix it? Like... The 1000 planetes nearest to the center
I am actually setting foot where no Man has gone before !

actually every planets already discovered by somebody else in the game. heck, those planet already have space trades, space stations, and robot cop.

They can't be too reliant on the Centre to provide an (the) experience; they need players to want to get to the centre. That journey has to be fun and involving, otherwise people will give up. NMS is competing with very many other games for people's time. Not that it really matter in terms of bottom line - if everyone only plays a few hours, if they've bought the game, Hello Games gets the money. But long term interest tends to mean more sales plus I'm sure more pride in their achievements. While reports of lack of interest after the first hours could deter early sales.

Note: I'm not saying the game is uninteresting! It might be compelling for the whole duration. TBH there's no knowing what will or won't take people. Just observing one area where I think NMS could be a lot stronger such that pre-release hype was stronger than we're feeling here.

if they can add PSVR support, then the boring space exploration could be much more fun.

but in Freelancer, simply flying around in space is already fun!

* finding derelict space ships
* finding new mysterious alien space ships
* in contact with a trader that got ambushed, then helping them
* suddenly got ambushed and punched out from hyperdrive.
* flying in auto-mode while reading manga and drinking a glass of hot tea.

There is no indication that going to planets is easy or hard :) ! Sean said ppl will be surprised by the old school survival aspects of the game. Like u said That is supposed to be the fun part of the game.
Game is just a week away, we shall know soon !

agh and its still not on Indonesia PSN :(

this game is published by sony right? then it will be 10 dollars cheaper on PSN than physical :D :D :D :D
Bah! I pre ordered from the US PSN. The cheaper US PSN cards make sure that every game is cheaper for me over there. and yes, it was the same price as Sony published games on PSN in our store. about $10 Cheaper than physical. US store price makes it another $10 lower for me (because of the cheap PSN cards I can arrange), so its effectivley $15-20 cheaper for me than retail :) !
I honestly can't wait to play this.

The gameplay I've seen, they just hop in a ship and fly somewhere new in a matter of moments. eg.

10:30, get in ship. 13:00, land on new planet.

Thats one of the moons of that planet. he mentions that, so its bound to be closer. But I understand what you are saying. Sean mentioned he wanted interplanetary distances to be realistic, but his concept artist argued "Show me one sci-fi magazine cover from teh 70s where u cannot see another planet/moon from the surface of a planet"and they went that way.

In one of the demos they mentioned they had purposely brought stuff closer as the game is not easy to demo in a 20 min slot. I think it was playstation access and he was talking of the E3 demo. I do not know any more and am hoping what Sean mentioned about the difficulty is true. Although I don't want too difficult a game, but yea games feel useless without challenge and the sense of victory over a discovery is directly proportional to the effort spent in discovering it. it s a fine line between feeling grindy and right.

Also, I am sure they aren't worrying about fuel, ship drives, etc in these demos and just using God mode. because it was made clear that your first ship will not be able to go past ur solar system, you will need to get a better one or upgrade the drive for that. In fact the pre order bonus is just a ship which lets u do that right from the start. I guess, with a huge universe, the structure of the game allows faster travel as is. We literally do not know.

But the giant creatures, spaceships and mysteries shwon in the original trailers are being totally avoided now. The teleporters, relics, the lore, crashed spaceships, colossus like creatures, that is where I see all the excitement.

Yes, demo modes could be very unrepresentative, but it's understandable how they form people's pre-release expectations. Could be that getting out of your solar system is an achievement, and finding a few other planets also an achievement, and a lot of what's been shown in truncated form just to convey the scope is actually going to be well paced and highly involving. Can still see why people are wanting to wait for reviews though. ;)

Yes, demo modes could be very unrepresentative, but it's understandable how they form people's pre-release expectations. Could be that getting out of your solar system is an achievement, and finding a few other planets also an achievement, and a lot of what's been shown in truncated form just to convey the scope is actually going to be well paced and highly involving. Can still see why people are wanting to wait for reviews though. ;)

yea, specially at that price of $60, I am getting it at effectively 40-45 $ ! if I was not a total goner for the concept and jaded of spoonfed AAA walk-a-thons these days, I would too be waiting for the reviews.I find this a game u keep going back to after finishing the current rage out there. hence the digital PSN purchase too.
But as cliche as it may sound, its not a review friendly concept and no one can review this game in two days. Its about what happens to you in this make believe world. one guy may not have anything noteworthy happening to him for two days, another might be on crack from the get go. Frankly, I expect low review scores, considering how subjective the experience can be. One will have to look for the mechanics of the game in those reviews, which are ambiguous as of now.

@RenegadeRocks where do you get the cheap us psn? I usually get it from Amazon and it's at regular MSRP.
It's a local guy here who sells them, goes by the name "Al Pacino" on eBay.in and FB. Amazon provides at regular price of approx Rs 70 per dollar and I was also using Amazon until I found this guy selling them at Rs50 per dollar. Apparently he gets them in bulk for cheap from somewhere. I wouldn't have trusted him but once he saw my real name , it turned out we knew each other from the ps3 game trading days :) so it started.

At 56 minutes long, you'll have to provide a summary. ;)
All ur questions are answered in there and Sean talks about elite too and how NMS is different.
@Diehard funny that a 2014 has the most info on the game till now. This podcast like clears everything !

Back