Vulkan/OpenGL Next Generation Initiative: unified API for mobile and non-mobile devices.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I may have missed it, but did not see any mention of the Vulkan driver version 356.39 anywhere in the article. But translating the article it appears they may be been downloaded with the game.

Last edited:
For Vulkan, Khronos opted to give platform holders the right of first refusal on defining feature sets; Khronos would only define feature sets if the platform holder passed on it. Now that Vulkan is launching, we have updated information on which platforms will be defining their own feature sets, and what Khronos will be doing for the rest.
Update: Windows drivers for both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs have been posted today. Both drivers are developer betas and either lack features or are based on older branches than current consumer drivers, however the NVIDIA driver has passed Vulkan conformance testing.

On the hardware side of matters, there’s still some ambiguity in the mobile space about what specific GPUs will support Vulkan, in part due to the fact that it’s Google defining the feature sets. Imagination, Qualcomm, ARM, and NVIDIA have all publicly committed to supporting Vulkan, so the question is how they will handle older architectures. Qualcomm is just launching their new Adreno 5xx series, whereas ARM Mali “Midgard” and Imagination PowerVR “Rogue” continue to be each respective firm’s leading GPU architecture. Finally NVIDIA for their part has already confirmed that Kepler and newer will get Vulkan support.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10035/vulkan-10-released

So, just in case people missed it (like me), Vulcan has finally been released.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10047/quick-look-vulkan-performance-on-the-talos-principle

Drivers are still early so performance is likely to improve. And that's is just a really quick implementation in the Talos Principle, so again, probably not well tuned for performance.

But it already shows some things we'd somewhat expect. Performance gains on AMD hardware is generally better than gain on Nvidia hardware due to Nvidia having much more optimized OGL drivers.

Also performance can be lower if you are GPU bound. But again, likely due to early drivers + un-optimized implementation in the game.

Still an early first look, and more importantly it's actually out now.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
No new info about it unless I missed something but it looks nice, mobile demo:

"Demonstrated on the Samsung Galaxy S7, ProtoStar from Epic Games is a real-time 3D experience built with Unreal Engine 4 technology utilizing the Vulkan API"

First video has some talking from epic people and a samsung guy, second is the demo uninterrupted.

No new info about it unless I missed something but it looks nice, mobile demo:

"Demonstrated on the Samsung Galaxy S7, ProtoStar from Epic Games is a real-time 3D experience built with Unreal Engine 4 technology utilizing the Vulkan API"

First video has some talking from epic people and a samsung guy, second is the demo uninterrupted.

That look really good..

Don't remember whether I said it already and too lazy/tired to check, but Vulkan is a better API than D3D12 IMO.
It supports TBDR and its memory management is less of a pain, I have yet to confim it by thorough usage of both API, but the memory management side seems pretty obvious atm.

Don't remember whether I said it already and too lazy/tired to check, but Vulkan is a better API than D3D12 IMO.
It supports TBDR and its memory management is less of a pain, I have yet to confim it by thorough usage of both API, but the memory management side seems pretty obvious atm.
Yet still 2GB cards are struggling*, just like with Mantle, while D3D12 hasn't shown similar behaviour (in cases where OpenGL or D3D11 isn't showing issues on 2GB cards)

FYI We just posted an amdgpu preview driver with initial Vulkan-on-Linux driver support. Testing so far has focused on Tonga/Fiji hardware with an emphasis on Vulkan but it's a full stack including Catalyst OpenCL, OpenGL and Vulkan. I don't know if it even installs on other hardware, recommend you stick with Tonga/Fiji for now.

We used the standard Catalyst license which limits redistribution but are working on a less restrictive license for the production driver.

For now you can pick it up directly at...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx

It's not on the regular download pages or GPUOpen yet but should appear there on Monday.

FYI We just posted an amdgpu preview driver with initial Vulkan-on-Linux driver support. Testing so far has focused on Tonga/Fiji hardware with an emphasis on Vulkan but it's a full stack including Catalyst OpenCL, OpenGL and Vulkan. I don't know if it even installs on other hardware, recommend you stick with Tonga/Fiji for now.

We used the standard Catalyst license which limits redistribution but are working on a less restrictive license for the production driver.

For now you can pick it up directly at...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ase-Notes.aspx

It's not on the regular download pages or GPUOpen yet but should appear there on Monday.
Your link is broken

Whoops, sorry about the broken link. The one above seems correct. This is a Catalyst replacement, so the support statement is "it's been tested on X, Y and Z so far" rather than "it's supposed to work on <much larger list>, let us know if it doesn't".

It seems to be working well on Hawaii (a few 390X reports), not sure if anyone with Ubuntu 14.04.4 HWE and a Bonaire has tried it yet, seems that everyone with a Bonaire is running Gentoo, Debian, Fedora or Arch so far.

A couple of people have reported problems where the driver wasn't able to read their EDID info, might just be a quirk or three that didn't get transcribed into the DAL code yet.

Updates for Vulkan:

GwH0tBq.png

Back