Pokemon GO

So far the best example of an AR game. There's a crapton of people playing it that don't even know what Pokémon is! I recently ran into an 83 year old lady playing it that didn't know what Pokémon were but found the game addictive. :D

And due to it's popularity (this might actually beat out match 3 games as the most popular game ever) so many amusing stories.

My favorite so far is about a couple of robbers that put down a beacon in a somewhat secluded location. Then robbed people that came to take advantage of it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/robbery-suspects-using-pokemon-go-to-target-victims-police-say/

The best thing is that instead of moving. They just stayed there robbing people. Until the police came and arrested them. Ah, ingenuity combined with laziness. :D

Regards,
SB

So far the best example of an AR game.
Indeed! Previous attempts can only be said to be fumbling half-measures in comparison, if indeed there's anything that compares at all. Interesting that the AR is actually rather effective even with just a single camera on phones. Perhaps the relatively strong computational ability of phones today helps; I hear the game is pretty good at chewing battery too... :)

My favorite so far is about a couple of robbers that put down a beacon in a somewhat secluded location. Then robbed people that came to take advantage of it.
They must have thought they were so clever. Pretty awful "this is why we can't have nice things" kind of story though. You shouldn't ever even have to worry if you go to a place indicated in a game whether you become a victim of crime. Low-life dredge like these people ruin it for everybody else.

Certainly, game developers.
I see what you did there!

It's based on Ingress but only with Pokémons instead. At least all the PokéStops are taken from it.

The servers are a hot mess though. Hardly playable and filled with bugs.

Pokémon Go players urged not to venture into Fukushima disaster zone
Tepco requests Niantic to remove Pokémon character from nuclear plant meltdown areas and evacuation zone.

Japan is asking for the Fukushima nuclear exclusion zone to be classified as a no-go area for Pokémon after the discovery of at least one of the game’s characters on a power station’s site.

Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings (Tepco) has requested that Pokémon Go developer Niantic and the Pokémon Company prevent Pokémon appearing in and around areas affected by the nuclear reactor meltdown in Fukushima to help prevent encouraging players to enter dangerous areas.

Tepco said it has tested the Fukushima Daiichi plant, which was partially destroyed by the March 2011 disaster, the nearby Fukushima Daini plant and the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant in Niigata Prefecture and found Pokémon on-site.

Japan’s nuclear regulator sent out a warning to national energy providers telling them to tighten security after the incursion of three teenagers into a nuclear power plant in Ohio in the US. Tepco has banned employees from playing Pokémon Go on site.

Read Full Article Here: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...on-go-players-fukushima-disaster-zone-nuclear

In other words, Japan nuclear company gone nuclear! Want to eliminate all Pokémon that lives nearby their power plants.

Guy here in Sweden skewered himself on the wrought iron fence around Stockholm's old Olympic Stadium, trying to sneak in to tame some fucking...whatever it was. Lol.

Ended up hanging upside-down with his thigh run through by the spikes on the fence.

Must have been a quite horrific experience really.

Oh that must have hurt...

that pokemon a few mere feet away and he unable to catch it!

Where was snake go back then? Capturing fruit around the city as a human centipade would keep growing from my behind?

Been playing the game on and off for a while but niantic qualifies as shittydev.

You mostly run into the same Pokémon.
Since a recent update fewer Pokémon appear and you need a lot more pokeballs to catch them, even low level pidgeys require over 5 balls sometimes.

Incense is a joke as it basically doesn't work. Whoever pays for this is getting ripped off.

Recently tried it two times but literally no Pokémon appear.

The radar is useless as whatever appears on it never appears on your map.

Been playing a month, On level 4, gonna be a while to get to level 5 at this rate. GPS stats are buggered it saiz I've walked 100meters yet I've only ever played it in the house, I have not taken a step whilst playing this game.

Back