Doom [PC]

Very good talk.

If there is one thing I'd say that is the biggest shortcoming in DOOM, it would be the texture size. They are relatively low and I'm wondering if the art team made higher res versions of these textures where there is some hidden mode to access them for users that have 12G of VRAM (i.e. Titan X).

If there is one thing I'd say that is the biggest shortcoming in DOOM, it would be the texture size.
Having the game fit on a BR for consoles is probably a concern when you're using as much texture space as DOOM is... :) Even as it is, my DOOM folder sits at 54GB. :p

Very good talk.

If there is one thing I'd say that is the biggest shortcoming in DOOM, it would be the texture size. They are relatively low and I'm wondering if the art team made higher res versions of these textures where there is some hidden mode to access them for users that have 12G of VRAM (i.e. Titan X).

Since it uses virtual texture wouldn't that be more of a performance/art pipeline/storage issue than a VRAM one? What is a 4k virtual page size?

Since it uses virtual texture wouldn't that be more of a performance/art pipeline/storage issue than a VRAM one? What is a 4k virtual page size?

If development is similar to Rage then the textures used will be massively larger than what was shipped. Then when it came time to ship variable compression (depending on users view) will be applied to get it to fit onto shipping medium.

In other words, the shipped game will be constrained by storage size more than anything else.

Regards,
SB

Very good talk.

The game has a 32gb folder for virtual textures, i think that's just a side effect of using mega textures. They are unique and look really good from a distance and give the impression of fine detail but they don't hold up very well up close. But you are not supposed to stop and look at textures while playing Doom anyway so i think it's not that much of an issue :)

Edit: The folder

texturesmqkjs.png

Rage was around 1TB uncompressed I believe. The file is knocking about if you want to run that game in '16k' mode. Wonder if ID will release the Doom source megatexture at some point? And if Blu-ray and download size weren't limiting factors where the actual compression sweet spot is.

The game has a 32gb folder for virtual textures, i think that's just a side effect of using mega textures. They are unique and look really good from a distance and give the impression of fine detail but they don't hold up very well up close. But you are not supposed to stop and look at textures while playing Doom anyway so i think it's not that much of an issue :)
Virtual texturing in DOOM is no longer completely unique, they added proper support for texture tiling etc.

Edit: The folder

texturesmqkjs.png

32G is quiet small actually. I talked to one of the lighters there and yea, the textures could have used higher resolution versions. No biggie though, the game is still incredible looking and fun to play!

32G is quiet small actually.

In the context of a game it is pretty big, especially even after compression. But i agree that it is no issue as the game plays to its strengths quite remarkably. I was thinking that it may be possible to release a texture pack with double (or even triple) the size but i'm not sure how that would work with steam and/or ps/xbox.

A few games have supported hi-res packs off of steam IIRC.

Last gen there were one or two games that had texture pack installs (battlefield?) for 360 due to two-disc release.

I thought the game looked kinda low poly much of the time too. There are some corridors that made me think of Doom 3. Though I think Doom3 and its narrow goals have held up rather well.

What blew my mind about Doom was how my notebook's 860M could only run it adequately at 1360x768 with the low detail preset. It's vastly more demanding than Wolf New Order. And Rage ran just super on an 8800GT.

Last edited:
I would love an official release of a better texture pack. What would be the disadvantages of doing this ?
The work may be almost done already, decrease the compression, or just torrent the whole thing uncompressed with a way to generate pak ourselves or whatever the format is.
Or keep it under wraps until remaster times, as sad as it is :D

I'd love it if I didn't have to download 12gb of data I'll never use just to play the game (the new patch). I've no interest in Doom multiplayer.

They really missed an opportunity to focus on single player DLC I think.

Back