Why Sony, why? :(

OK, Sony, you make a crappy movie for a cheap cash grab. No problem. Sure it's crapping on a beloved franchise, but that's kind of expected from a reboot now days. Robocop, Star Trek, etc. Boo Hiss, but whatever.

But why? Why did you have to drag gender politics into it? That's expected from internet trolls. But I thought you were better than that Sony. :(

Funny that far more men than women are crying misogyny. Or maybe not so funny. I'm probably late to the party on this, as I only recently thought about going to see it. Not planning to now seeing as it's far far worse than I would have thought after reading some reviews.

BTW - didn't think this was for RPSC as it's more about the sad fact that Sony dragged this whole thing into the gender politics cesspool. I hope everyone is mature enough to realize that it was widely panned due to it being a bad movie (trailer was bad as well) and not due to misogyny.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

OK, Sony, you make a crappy movie for a cheap cash grab. No problem. Sure it's crapping on a beloved franchise, but that's kind of expected from a reboot now days. Robocop, Star Trek, etc. Boo Hiss, but whatever.

But why? Why did you have to drag gender politics into it? That's expected from internet trolls. But I thought you were better than that Sony. :(

Funny that far more men than women are crying misogyny. Or maybe not so funny. I'm probably late to the party on this, as I only recently thought about going to see it. Not planning to now seeing as it's far far worse than I would have thought after reading some reviews.

BTW - didn't think this was for RPSC as it's more about the sad fact that Sony dragged this whole thing into the gender politics cesspool. I hope everyone is mature enough to realize that it was widely panned due to it being a bad movie (trailer was bad as well) and not due to misogyny.

Regards,
SB
I am quoting your post so I can go back to it later. It is now forever on teh internets. :yep2:

Still can't figure out if you were aiming for satire, but I'll think about it....

I am quoting your post so I can go back to it later. It is now forever on teh internets. :yep2:

Still can't figure out if you were aiming for satire, but I'll think about it....

Mostly that I'm just disappointed. In the mishandling of the movie. In the mishandling of the negative response to the trailer and movie. Basically disappointed in how Sony handled the whole thing. I wouldn't be disappointed if Sony weren't one of companies I still had a high level of respect for. Sony Pictures have produced a lot of good movies. They've also produced some stinkers. But they've generally not dragged politics into it to try to get a few more theater viewers.

Hmmm, although now that I think of it, they did fund the Interview and took advantage of the alleged North Korean cyberattack. Hmmm. Bleh. Still just disappointed in the whole thing. Most especially that they would crap all over the Ghost Busters franchise. And then to top it off, attempting to blame bad reviews as just a product of misogyny rather than just accept that it was a bad movie that Ghost Buster's fans hated.

There's so many ways they could have gone about things. For starters, they could have tied it back into the first movies by having some or all of the female Ghost Busters be the daughters of the original Ghost Busters. And then had a story that didn't suck.

Regards,
SB

The movie got overall very positive reviews and performed about as well as most blockbusters relative to its budget. The idea that the movie is a failure, or that it's a travesty is largely invented. Have you even seen it?

The movie got overall very positive reviews and performed about as well as most blockbusters relative to its budget. The idea that the movie is a failure, or that it's a travesty is largely invented. Have you even seen it?
pretty sure he said he hasn't seen it. But I'm not sure why that matters?
I remember the video he's basing his topic of discussion on, have you watched it?
a lot of the things you mention isn't even the major points of his or her topic of conversation.
or do you think there wasn't controversy surrounding the film and Sony didn't respond?

When something is as bad as this movie is you have to cover for it somehow. Making it a big deal that if you don't like the movie you are a misogynist is actually quite a clever way of distracting the general public from how bad this movie is. I though the pr spin was quite clever actually, even if i find this whole gender war quite disturbing (from both "fields"). Bad movie, smart pr spin, even the guys/gals that didn't like the movie had to dance around political correctness to voice their opinion.

When something is as bad as this movie is you have to cover for it somehow. Making it a big deal that if you don't like the movie you are a misogynist is actually quite a clever way of distracting the general public from how bad this movie is. I though the pr spin was quite clever actually, even if i find this whole gender war quite disturbing (from both "fields"). Bad movie, smart pr spin, even the guys/gals that didn't like the movie had to dance around political correctness to voice their opinion.
Have you seen the movie? Why did you think it was so bad?

Have you seen the movie? Why did you think it was so bad?

Let me rephrase, i would say this movie is mediocre, not bad. It could be way better and it could be way worse. I found the "humor" in the movie to be generally not funny. Maybe it's not for me, if there was one word i could describe it with that'd be forgettable.

Edit: It seems worse to me because of how much i liked the first movie and watching the movie you can't help but compare this to the first movie. It just doesn't hold up. If it was its own thing i'm sure not many people would mind.

Last edited:
The trolls inserted the gender politics first. Go back and look up when the bitching first started: The moment the film was announced with a cast of 4 female ghostbusters.

Edit: I saw it happen with my own eyes. Made me ratehr sad.

As an aside, I gotta say, when I saw the thread title I thought it'd be about some CE failure due to Sony fucking up or something. I completely forgot Sony put out this movie or even had anything to do with Ghostbusters.

Also screw y'all The robocop remake was good. :p Nowhere near the original, but good.

The movie is performing like shit and it's probably going to result in millions of losses for Sony (no China market, >55% decline after 1st weekend, etc.). There's no way this is going to make the $250M that were invested into it.
The positive reviews seem to have been mostly written by a large pool of people who are shit-scared of being labeled misogynists -> because of how Sony's marketing department called on all social justice activists to do their thing - or at least it's what the youtube video in the OP explains, had you actually seen it.

The trolls inserted the gender politics first.
The trolls did it first is now the gold-plated excuse to shove social-justice politics where they don't belong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trolls inserted the gender politics first. Go back and look up when the bitching first started: The moment the film was announced with a cast of 4 female ghostbusters.

that was also her point, from what I remember, they used the trolls outrage to put people in the situation of "if you didn't like it then your views are obviously like there's".

whether you agree or disagree with her, it's an interesting take on the whole saga.

It's currently boasting a score of 5.4/10 on IMDB…

I wish this movie was forgettable. Then I would still have hope of seeing a good remake or expansion of the Ghostbusters franchise.

I found little to no actual enjoyable humor and didnt like any of the characters. I wont even get i to how inconsistent the technology premise was throughout.

It's at 60% on Metacritic right now. That seems like a really low bar for "overall very positive." A 63% review for example calls it mediocre if not deserving of disparagement.

I haven't seen it, but from all the reviews and trailers and clips I've seen I get the impression that I wouldn't especially like it but probably wouldn't particularly hate it. But there's little question in my mind that it generated a lot of sales based on largely manufactured controversy and I'm not going to reward that with a sale. Not that I go to the theaters very much to begin with.

This is certainly true, there was a lot of cynical backlash on forums and whatever about how they were ruining a franchise by changing it to be more socially conscious or politically correct. And even some people who used it as an excuse to rag on any female presence in movies or women in general - some of this sincere, some of it trolling.

But the way I see it - and I fully expect a lot of disagreement from you and others, which is fine - is that roves angry idiots and trolls on forums are not symmetrical to the media counter-effect. The latter has a much, much larger effect on popular perception, information control, sales and so on and therefore I hold them to a much higher standard of accountability. You'll find dozens of articles on huge sites defending the movie and denouncing the hate but you'll have a hard time finding hate articles on anything approaching a read or reputable source. You also won't find an awful lot of calls for nuance or sensibility. And they're not just giving opinionated reporting as things happen but dozens of analysis articles that are pretty transparent about their overarching motivations.

No matter who started what there is simply no excuse for knee-jerk labeling of people who dislike or didn't want to see the movie as misogynists. And to see this in print is pretty repulsive.

The movie isn't even a good example of using female leads, every character is a stereotype of some sort. Combine that with very noisy, in your face attempt at humor and you basically get a combination of american pie and elements from ghostbusters with women. If you want to watch a good movie with a female lead i'd advice you to watch 10 Cloverfield Lane instead.

No matter who started what there is simply no excuse for knee-jerk labeling of people who dislike or didn't want to see the movie as misogynists. And to see this in print is pretty repulsive.

Could you please provide an example of this. I have not seen anything like that.

Could you please provide an example of this. I have not seen anything like that.

The media criticism against James Rolfe is a well known case. Here are some articles that outright say he refused to watch it because he's a sexist:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

"And he doesn’t realize that the root of all this, the root of feeling like someone betrayed his Ghostbusters, comes down to the fact that these Ghostbusters don’t look like him. "

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/ (obviously sarcastic title needs no further explanation)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...he-online-reviews-of-tv-shows-aimed-at-women/

"And then there’s “The Angry Video Game Nerd,“ a misogynistic web show whose sycophantic Wikipedia entry made me pine for hemlock in my coffee."

This last article I find especially disgraceful for all sorts of reasons. It is unfortunately fairly emblematic of much of the media today. Very sad to see it on a site like 538 of all places.

Several other articles hit him with more generic insults like being a pants-shitting man-baby or what have you, without going so far as to call him an actual misogynist.

EDIT: Removed a false example that was a bunch of sarcasm.

Last edited:
You wrote:

"No matter who started what there is simply no excuse for knee-jerk labeling of people who dislike or didn't want to see the movie as misogynists. And to see this in print is pretty repulsive."

The media criticism against James Rolfe is a well known case. Here are some articles that outright say he refused to watch it because he's a sexist:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/18/the-soft-sexism-of-hating-on-the-new-ghostbusters

"And he doesn’t realize that the root of all this, the root of feeling like someone betrayed his Ghostbusters, comes down to the fact that these Ghostbusters don’t look like him. "

And right after that comes this:

"Disliking the new Ghostbusters doesn’t make you sexist. Hell, I am not particularly excited for the movie (although seeing an extended scene at CinemaCon made me more hopeful). But if you’re raging about it - if you’re angry enough to call a boycott, to make a video drawing a line in the sand - maybe you should consider where all of this anger is coming from."

So I do not think your first link qualifies.

Back