Dragon's Dogma [multi]

I never got to play more than a few hours, when it was free on plus.I wish it does get a ps4 remake/remaster. Going back to ps3 just feels wrong now.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the dumbest game since...the last Japanese game I played?

I'm given a quest to do, going to a thieves' hideout in the mountains. Along the way there are goblins that I mince through, bandits that are no trouble, and the occassional nigh-indestructible bandit that I can't even damage. After LOTS of time and dying, I get to the thieves and slaughter them wholesale with no problems. Descending the mountain path I encounter a couple of undead knights who are also nigh indestructible. I actually have more success fighting the Chimera than these guys! But there's no fast travel, so I can't avoid these encounters other thah chancing a run past. It feels like I'm well below the necessary level for some enemies but there's no way of knowing. I'd also like to change my skills to try something like Holy damage against undead, but I can't do that without running to one of the towns.

So after a lot of effort I finally get back to the capital. I see the armourer and get some item enchants. But then when pressing to exit the UI, I end up launching a fireball in the guy's face and am immediately arrested and thrown in a dungeon and the &*£@#! game @#*&£$ autosaves over a ?@#&*@$ interface design issue - pressing 'exit' in a menu shouldn't result in an unintended attack on an NPC!

So is there any point carrying on? Am I just being dense and missing the core gameplay mechanics like how to sneak past enemies, or how to block (blocking would be nice. As a mage I just stand there and get hit, or run away). A way to change skills to what the next area needs without requiring two hours travelling the land? A way to rest until morning so I don't have to travel at night and face enemies I'm not ready for? Or is this part of the appeal of the this game, setting out in the day time and then being weighed down with loot as you have to trudge home in the dark facing the worst enemies never knowing when one of them will be impervious to you and there's nothing you can do about it except die.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the dumbest game since...the last Japanese game I played?

I'm given a quest to do, going to a thieves' hideout in the mountains. Along the way there are goblins that I mince through, bandits that are no trouble, and the occassional nigh-indestructible bandit that I can't even damage. After LOTS of time and dying, I get to the thieves and slaughter them wholesale with no problems. Descending the mountain path I encounter a couple of undead knights who are also nigh indestructible. I actually have more success fighting the Chimera than these guys! But there's no fast travel, so I can't avoid these encounters other thah chancing a run past. It feels like I'm well below the necessary level for some enemies but there's no way of knowing. I'd also like to change my skills to try something like Holy damage against undead, but I can't do that without running to one of the towns.

So after a lot of effort I finally get back to the capital. I see the armourer and get some item enchants. But then when pressing to exit the UI, I end up launching a fireball in the guy's face and am immediately arrested and thrown in a dungeon and the &*£@#! game @#*&£$ autosaves over a ?@#&*@$ interface design issue - pressing 'exit' in a menu shouldn't result in an unintended attack on an NPC!

So is there any point carrying on? Am I just being dense and missing the core gameplay mechanics like how to sneak past enemies, or how to block (blocking would be nice. As a mage I just stand there and get hit, or run away). A way to change skills to what the next area needs without requiring two hours travelling the land? A way to rest until morning so I don't have to travel at night and face enemies I'm not ready for? Or is this part of the appeal of the this game, setting out in the day time and then being weighed down with loot as you have to trudge home in the dark facing the worst enemies never knowing when one of them will be impervious to you and there's nothing you can do about it except die.
Fast travel comes later, just run. This is not hand holding easy mode Skyrim, but it's not as hard as a souls game. The road will become safe after you grow in power, until then just avoid fights by walking around them. Try a magic Archer for a while.

But how do you know what level is 'safe'? I got to 22 I think before being thrown in the slammer and some encounters like wolves and goblins were easier. But then you had these random encounters that were impossible. The balance just seems whack - easy encounters punctuated with impossible ones, rather than easy/moderate challenges punctuated with tougher ones.

As for my imprisonment, the same happened in Dark Souls - accidentally pressed the X button to talk or whatever it was, out of habit, and chopped the shop keeper who then took a disliking to me. Seems a particularly Japanese design where players are punished for IO errors. In Western games (that I've played), there's always a warning to ensure this doesn't happen by accident, or you'll need to draw your weapon first.

Yes, night is a core component to the game. Enemies are tougher and visibility is low. Night time can also buff certain vocations like assassin by boosting their damage output.

You can fast travel. You have to use portcryrstals you find or buy from vendors and use ferrystones to use them and the nice thing about the portcrystals is that you can place/replace them anywhere in the overworld. There are 2 permanent portcrystals located in Gran soren and cassardis and you only need a ferrystone to use those. Free farrystones can be found all around the world. There is also 2 freebies found next to the permanent portcrystals I mentioned earlier. You can also buy them from 2 merchants in Gran Soren (Blackcat (unlimited) and Fournival (but he only is available during the day and only has 3 of them at one time)).

Loot/inventories also respawn after a few days (It can be different depending on loot).

Pawns are also very important to the game, you can visit the rift to search for the ones you want or hire random pawns that travel through the world. You are given one you can customize obviously and 2 additional can be hired. I can't remember but I think pawns that are @ or below your level cost nothing and ones that are above scale in price over your level. Just be aware that experience is split between pawns so the more you have the less you get.

If you are having trouble early in the game I would recommend you hire some of the higher end pawns using the riftstone (I assume you know where they are). There are some twinked out low level pawns that players have made by gifting them highend equipment from their main characters so using those early on can help you breeze through content.

As to continuing on, I dunno, I am very bias because I loved the game, especially later on past the 2 major cites. There is a lot to the game mechanics wise (timing blocks for instance can be really powerful... maybe too overpowered) and I will admit the game does give you some quests that can be tough at low levels because the enemies along the way to the quest are tougher than the quest itself so outrunning or avoiding is your best bet at times. But once you figure it all out the vocation system becomes really fun because the differences in play style keep the game fresh when you get tired of one vocation. The treasures hidden quests and NPCs you can find in the remote areas of the game give you reason to explore and picking sides can change the game quite a bit in the game as you progress through the story line.

If you really want to cheese the game pick magic archer, maybe that will help you get through some parts you are having trouble with to get you more familiar with the game. Just don't go to bitter black isles before you are at least 60-ish and have high end gear since its endgame content.

Last edited:
Yes, night is a core component to the game. Enemies are tougher and visibility is low. Night time can also buff certain vocations like assassin by boosting their damage output.
Which would be fine except you can't avoid it! You leave for a destination first thing in the morning and it's night by the time you have to return. Without a means to rest and wait for daylight, you have to journey through the dark knowing you're not suited for it. Am I missing a load of resting places? I've tried campfires but there's no option to rest. Nor is there an option to sleep in various beds dotted around in cottages etc.

There are 3 rest camps in Gransys. They allow you to access your inventory, train, rest, hire pawns and some have unique merchants. One is on the main road to devilfire grove, one just south of the blighted manse and one next to the great wall. Also if you clear the quarry mines NPCs move in and you get a nice shortcut between the Travelers rest camp and Grand Soren along with nice resource and merchant hub in the mines.

Its been a while but I want to say there is a rest area at Heavenspeak fort but you have to make sure you have all females in your party or have a female disguise else the npcs there will be hostile.

Anyway, the more ferrystones & portcrystals you acquire the more easy it is to access the remote areas without worrying about getting stuck in the dark off the roads. I typically place portcrystals at the camps for easy access.

about the battle with sudden high-level enemy... the game is like that. the area is mixed with different enemy levels.

thats one of the many reason i use "unlimited run stamina" cheat on Xbox 360 since week one :p (or is it day one? dunno)

Just like with the Souls games, what made DD so enjoyable for me was its decidedly player-unfriendly nature. It was so very delighfully old-school Capcom in its get good or get out mentality.

played this again on a PC and wow.

Dragon's Dogma is hella awesome! It looks awesome. It plays awesome.

the "Pawn" artificial intelligence is really above and beyond any other open world game. Its like The Last of Us AI system but muuuuuch more useful. Because you can do COMBO attack with the pawns. They also pretty smart when left alone (i make them fight a chimera alone hahaha).

The physics also works awesome for gameplay. Heck, magic also properly have physical property and can be used as an exploit!

Too bad CAPCOP cut the rain weather :(

DDDA 2016-07-20 21-56-39.jpg

EDIT:

to elaborate more about the physical property of magic.

Throw oil at enemy. You can set them ablaze with fire magic!
Use ice magic and you can stand on it.

Dragon's dogma also have silly stuff like...
  • You can hold many things in your hand and throw them. Heck, the pawns even can throw cakes at other people LOL.
  • You can cuddle a bunny.
  • You can throw a poison at enemy.

or basic physics at work
  • have a dry wood on your hand. You can light it up by getting it close to a campfire
  • delicious apple on a tree? you can throw stuff at it or shoot it with arrow to get it down :D
  • stack boxes to reach higher place (just pray the pawns not gonna smash it to pieces when you are still standing on them).

Last edited:
Its an amazing game. I spent just shy of 200 hours on the PS3 version a couple years back (the dark Arisen add-on was a lovely throwback to the breadth of expansion packs of old). Really hoping for Capcom to wheel the thing out for the PS4 sooner rather than later. I mean they seem to be remastering everything, so what's the hold-up.

mean they seem to be remastering everything, so what's the hold-up.

They remaster everything resident evil but forgot DD :(

But I suspect they originally gonna make Dragons dogma (DD) new game titled Deep Down (DD) that mixes the multiple parallel world with ass's Creed style tecgnobabble.

Then something happen and the project went quiete despite it got positive response.

Yeah I got it recently for the PC after playing the console version years ago and what difference resolution, draw distance and framerate make to this game. Makes one of the best games of last gen even better. To me, its almost like playing it again for the first time... Especially with ENB :cool:
enb_2016_02_03_18_30_59_27_900p_by_confidence_man-d9qhrr3.png

Since I am back on my ps3 these days, was thinking of starting this. though cant decide what class to choose from. Fighter looks sexy, but I feel like I should go for Daggers and bow cos that speeds up the gameplay in my head and can feel like a faster game and hence more exciting. Dont wanna be a mage, have grown out of that fantasy these days.
So, fighter or Strider? Whats the B3D favourite class?

or maybe I should just go back and finish Vanquish, another gem that needs my attention!

Back