AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I notice in AMDs presentation is: My monitor have problem displaying that blue...It was quite annoying and distracting. I also don't know why you would abandon your own and unique image, in this case the Red.

These boards are aiming at a very different market segment from enthusiast consumer devices - many enthusiasts are interested in every detail about a company, what the products can do and how they are positioned; workstation cards, though, are more aimed at mid-sized to enterprise level companies and their IT managers are not necessarily marketing savvy. These are productivity tools and once a solution makes it on to the companies selection lists the main concerns are "does it do the job at the right price" and "will in increase productivity, or decrease productivity through issues". Red is a disruptive colour, fine for a consumer space, but not necessarily one that inspire confidence in reliability for enterprise level customers.

There are other reasons as well, for instance the primary workstation OEM's are Dell and HP (both blue logos) and the systems are all Intel based, this all fits together nicely in that ecosystem - similarly that's a reasons for going from "AMD FirePro" to "Radeon PRO" in that we would frequently be asked "Oh, AMD... does that work in an Intel platform?" - that might seem like an absurd question to you or I, but to someone that sees these devices not as a matter of interest but purely a productivity tool a perfectly reasonable thing to ask, these leaps are being removed with these changes.

Interesting point of view Dave. I think it makes sense in that regard. I was just commenting on the image/brand part/issue that AMD have. I get sick everytime someone tells me "Gefore is better because of Geforce"

In other news the sapphire are listed in Amazon(no stock yet) 230 and 270. I think they are the first 480 officially listed on Amzon like a month after the release... But at least they came.

Interesting point of view Dave. I think it makes sense in that regard. I was just commenting on the image/brand part/issue that AMD have. I get sick everytime someone tells me "Gefore is better because of Geforce"

In other news the sapphire are listed in Amazon(no stock yet) 230 and 270. I think they are the first 480 officially listed on Amzon like a month after the release... But at least they came.

You call that AMD issue ( ofc this is a point ), but you need to understand that Nvidia is extremly good at marketing.. in fact, even Apple cant match them on this front.

You call that AMD issue ( ofc this is a point ), but you need to understand that Nvidia is extremly good at marketing.. in fact, even Apple cant match them on this front.
Well since Apple is the richest company in the world and the most value brand they don't really have "that much to do" And Apple is really not the same since steve left us(something to be expected)

One thing I notice in AMDs presentation is: My monitor have problem displaying that blue...It was quite annoying and distracting. I also don't know why you would abandon your own and unique image, in this case the Red.
I think that's more about camera technology than your monitor, at least in case of the stream, same happens even in TV with intense blues. Also many monitors these days feature those blue light filters to "protect your eyes"

Projected HPC designs have some kind of non-volatile memory serving as another layer of memory below a high-speed RAM tier.
High-bandwidth DRAM memory's capacity scaling has not kept up, and power-wise the compute architectures are scrambling further.
The non-volatile memory picks up capacity, which allows less of that more valuable DRAM to be taken up data whose presence is of less immediate importance beyond the need to avoid a bus transfer at some point in the future. Checkpointing and more graceful spillage out of DRAM without going back to the node's main memory could be handled as well.
If there were enough GPUs, avoiding some of these transfers could reduce the aggregate demand in the case of multiple cards even if their individual SSDs seem small compared to one PCIe slot's bandwidth, which might have nice effects for the system as a whole.

This might be a nice incremental first step, although the proposed ideas seemed to have more tightly integrated storage than same-board SSD drives (the aforementioned Xpoint or possible hybrid memory stacks could figure into it).

I really like that those are single slot designs, although I'm going to guess the acoustics might suffer a bit from that despite the lower number of CUs?
These are the form factors that are required by the segment, so from a form factor perspective they are generational follow-on's (with some improvements in cooling capacity in some cases). The acoustic levels are tuned to overall platform acoustic targets of the OEM systems they are targeted towards.

Very exciting announcements. I thought over this move to blue workstation line and figured black and white would be the only other colors AMD could use and in this case blue is just better.

Green would make sense because of AMD's logo but is clearly unavailable...

Very exciting announcements. I thought over this move to blue workstation line and figured black and white would be the only other colors AMD could use and in this case blue is just better.

Green would make sense because of AMD's logo but is clearly unavailable...
Well AMD logo is also black and white and I personally would like it much more. It is also "unique" since no other HW vendor uses it.

Looks like there was a stealth edit for the WX7100?

Yes..you're right..Ryan has edited the number of CU's and clocks for the WX7100. It was earlier 32 CUs and >1.2 Ghz. So it is fully enabled after all.

Would have expected the WX5100 to be 32 CUs then (In line with RX 470). Another ninja edit coming?

Would have expected the WX5100 to be 32 CUs then (In line with RX 470). Another ninja edit coming?
I doubt it. It's impressive enough with the current specifications squeezing >=4Tflops into a 75W power envelope.

Edit: Perhaps I am wrong. WCCFTech is the only source I can now find reporting a 75W TDP. But that dinky fan can't be built for anywhere near 150W, and there is no obvious shroud cut-out for the PCI-E connector as can be seen on the WX 7100.

Last edited:
According to videocardz.com the official slides from the event list 32 and 28 CUs for the WX 7100 and WX 5100:
http://videocardz.com/62661/amd-ann...gpu-designed-for-professional-vr-film-editing

As a side note, I hadn't noticed before that Polaris 11 only has an 8 lane PCI-Express interface. I doubt there is a noticeable performance loss considering its performance class, and yet I don't recall any other modern desktop-bound GPUs which have done so.

Last edited:
According to videocardz.com the official slides from the event list 32 and 28 CUs for the WX 7100 and WX 5100:
http://videocardz.com/62661/amd-ann...gpu-designed-for-professional-vr-film-editing

As a side note, I hadn't noticed before that Polaris 11 only has an 8 lane PCI-Express interface. I doubt there is a noticeable performance loss considering its performance class, and yet I don't recall any other modern desktop-bound GPUs which have done so.

Thanks for the link..so I guess AT just got it wrong then. Also I highly doubt that the WX5100 is sub 75W. Its probably in the range of 110-120W.

Good catch on the PCIE link. 8X for the Polaris 11 shouldn't cause any noticeable performance loss and if it saves a bit of power..its a good move (especially for laptops)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back