AMD Console Wins for 2017?

I don´t think that XOs or PS4 slim for that matter would count for AMD as new design wins, in the original contracts, cost reductions should have been taken into account.

Anyway, the outing of NX should be near, right??

So if there are three semi-custom design wins, why can't Nintendo be one of the customers?

Anyway, the outing of NX should be near, right??
Looks like Nintendo will be rather tight-lipped until March 2017, so another 7 months...

So if there are three semi-custom design wins, why can't Nintendo be one of the customers?

Looks like Nintendo will be rather tight-lipped until March 2017, so another 7 months...

It appears more and more as the second most anticlimactic reveal after WiiU...

They were scared to death of competition cloning its magic, along those lines Iwata spoke at E3, i remember

It appears more and more as the second most anticlimactic reveal after WiiU...

They were scared to death of competition cloning its magic, along those lines Iwata spoke at E3, i remember

Hmm, only a couple days ago Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that the NX would bring casual gamers back into the industry. There's no way to know if he's talking about the NX's gaming line-up or an actual hardware gizmo that would appeal directly to casuals.

Hmm, only a couple days ago Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that the NX would bring casual gamers back into the industry.
I hope I'm not the only person who would see that as a uniformly bad thing, if true. I'd rather Nintendo catered to console gamers rather than trying to foist consoles at "casuals" in a wild cashgrab like with the Wii; casuals which will fiddle with "Zen Sports" for a few weeks and then toss their console in the closet when they tire of it. That's what killed the Wii; tons of casual games (many of which weren't very good), and not much in the way of "real" console games.

Hmm, only a couple days ago Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said that the NX would bring casual gamers back into the industry. There's no way to know if he's talking about the NX's gaming line-up or an actual hardware gizmo that would appeal directly to casuals.

That statement could be a blessing and a curse at the same time :-?

If AMD wasn't talking about Neo, Scorpio and NX, what's the third console?

Any one considered the console gaming version of Hololens? The presence of a 6 Tflop apu in your console kind of alleviates the need for cherry trails in the headset.

Wouldn't an Xbox flavor Hololens which probably still needs to sport MS's HPU be considered a design win for AMD?

Any one considered the console gaming version of Hololens? The presence of a 6 Tflop apu in your console kind of alleviates the need for cherry trails in the headset.

Wouldn't an Xbox flavor Hololens which probably still needs to sport MS's HPU be considered a design win for AMD?
you'd still need cherry trail , I doubt the HPU will do all the Kinect processing and it would have to run windows for the console to stream to it

you'd still need cherry trail , I doubt the HPU will do all the Kinect processing and it would have to run windows for the console to stream to it

U don't need an apu as hefty as cherry trails for Kinect processing.

Hololens was designed so it could operate as a standalone product. Hence why it sports cherry trails and Windows. A headset that works as an accessory to Scorpio wouldn't be need held to such a requirement and the cost that such an requirement entails.

Hololens was designed so it could operate as a standalone product. Hence why it sports cherry trails and Windows. A headset that works as an accessory to Scorpio wouldn't be need held to such a requirement and the cost that such an requirement entails.
yea but the point of HoloLens is to be portable. If your tied to a console that would suck.

yea but the point of HoloLens is to be portable. If your tied to a console that would suck.

Could stream to the hmd with wireless and let the hpu render out, crackdown is doing similar from a data centre and they have predictive algorithms for adjusting for and correcting very high latency in vr/ar so local latency should not be an issue.

Could stream to the hmd with wireless and let the hpu render out, crackdown is doing similar from a data centre and they have predictive algorithms for adjusting for and correcting very high latency in vr/ar so local latency should not be an issue.

Yea but what about the positional data and lag ? I don't think it will work as well as you think. Also you'd be limited to your home network on it.

Yea but what about the positional data and lag ? I don't think it will work as well as you think. Also you'd be limited to your home network on it.

It would be a console accessory. If you don't want to be tied to a console and want minimal lag, all you have to do is buy a hololens.

Plus, it's not like most of the hololens concepts shown including minecraft were encouraging a ton of movement by the user anyway.

Last edited:

Hololens also features a specially designed HPU to assist with processing and displaying the holographic image. Not knowing what is involved with that means it's difficult to determine how much generic processing power would be required to replicate its functionality.

I personally don't see AR coming to consoles until at least the 2nd console after Project Scorpio, assuming there aren't any breakthroughs in the meantime with regards to FOV and cost.

Latency and potential for an erratic connection if the wireless spectrum is crowded make wireless unsuitable for both AR and VR. Latency especially, as you want it as low as possible.

Regards,
SB

Hololens also features a specially designed HPU to assist with processing and displaying the holographic image. Not knowing what is involved with that means it's difficult to determine how much generic processing power would be required to replicate its functionality.

I personally don't see AR coming to consoles until at least the 2nd console after Project Scorpio, assuming there aren't any breakthroughs in the meantime with regards to FOV and cost.

Latency and potential for an erratic connection if the wireless spectrum is crowded make wireless unsuitable for both AR and VR. Latency especially, as you want it as low as possible.

Regards,
SB

That's where the AMD design win comes in. AMD being in control of manufacturing the HPU chips/board and selling them to MS. Removing cherry trails means gutting the generic parts inside and the work off loaded to Scorpio.

That's where the AMD design win comes in. AMD being in control of manufacturing the HPU chips/board and selling them to MS. Removing cherry trails means gutting the generic parts inside and the work off loaded to Scorpio.

you can remove cherry trail sure but I don't think the price is going to be affected. Cherry trail is in $100 tablets. So even if they put in AMD HPU and something else to replace cherry trail the price really wont change much

Can we say that xbox1s is a design win now? Since it's not merely shrinking to 16nm finfet process.

Besides, maybe PS Neo also utilizes TSMC 16nm for better performance.

Hololens won't and can't work for home console gaming, because it is translucent. You can't make definitive, satisfying AR gaming experiences that will work in every single owner's home environment. Some environments will be spacious, some cramped. Some will be cluttered, some will be spartan. Some will be brightly lit, some will be dark. Some will have lots of/big windows, some won't have any. Some will be colorful, some will not. In any and all permutations, pretty much.

Any headset game you have with the hololens will be set within your own home. How fun can that fucking be, beyond the initial gimmick magnetism window?

Forget about the hololens, okay? Just forget about it.

Back