AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing Zen will launch a quarter before Vega at this point. Probably Q4 for Zen and Q1 2017 for Vega. Makes the most sense given the tape out timeline.

well they demoed Polaris more than 6 months before launch, so if Vega just taped out, don't expect it before Q2 2017...

Because all the products go through the same manufacturing problems and revsions ...
Vega is AMD's 3rd GPU chip on 14nm, launching 2 - 3 quarters later and therefore doesn't have to go through the same birth pains as Polaris. Yes, it's bigger than Polaris 10 but that is usually less of a problem as redundancy helps masks manufacturing problems.

Let's wait and see shall we?

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 review: Polaris rethought and refined
Using the WattMan overclocking tools inside AMD’s Radeon Crimson control panel, we were able to boost the card’s power limit by 15 percent, its memory clock by an additional 100MHz, and its core clock all the way up to 1405MHz, which represents a 7.5 percent frequency increase over the Nitro+’s default 1306MHz max clock speed.

Doing so required cranking the fan speeds pretty high to avoid throttling. We set the max at 3,000 RPMs, which is definitely noticeable and definitely loud. Under load, they routinely spun at 2,800 RPMs or more, which helped keep the card running cool despite all the extra power coursing through its innards.

Now for the bad news: That epic (for Polaris) bump in clock speed still didn’t result in massive performance increases, though there were slight improvements in the games and benchmarks we tested. (Note, however, that we’re coming the 4GB Nitro+ against an 8GB reference RX 480, which not only has more memory, but faster memory, too.) Seeing that, Sapphire’s decision to keep the clock speeds lower (and thus, also keep the card cooler, quieter, and drawing less power) seems rational.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3098...iew-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html?page=9

Computerbase short-previewed the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+.
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-erfahrungen/

They said, in Anno 2205 (is it still called Dawn of Discovery in the rest of the world?) at 1080p resolution, the Nitro runs with both BIOS versions at about 1260 MHz at stock (probably power limited, my impression) and is about 8 percent fast (says the graph, not the text!) than the reference card. They didn't try manual OC, AFAICS.

Computerbase short-previewed the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+.
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-erfahrungen/

They said, in Anno 2205 (is it still called Dawn of Discovery in the rest of the world?) at 1080p resolution, the Nitro runs with both BIOS versions at about 1260 MHz at stock (probably power limited, my impression) and is about 8 percent fast (says the graph, not the text!) than the reference card. They didn't try manual OC, AFAICS.
Might not have set the fans on higher level, even the founder edition of nvidia supposedly required power and fan tweaking to not throttle down its speed.

Here's an interesting set of benches, that show it basically matching or beating OC 1060 in dx 11 and even in nvidia sponsored titles, iirc, and basically running circles around oc 1060 in doom vulkan.

Interesting. that 1420 is really high I want to see if he got a golden core or if this is what the card is capable of when you apply more voltage(something the first reviews didn't|)

Might not have set the fans on higher level, even the founder edition of nvidia supposedly required power and fan tweaking to not throttle down its speed.
Sorry for the late reply. Might have been lost in translation, but they explicitly state that this is the case with both BIOSes. Which would indicate that Sapphire upped the clock but not the power limitde.

Here's an interesting set of benches, that show it basically matching or beating OC 1060 in dx 11 and even in nvidia sponsored titles, iirc, and basically running circles around oc 1060 in doom vulkan.
I saw that video in a forum somewhere else ... people there noticed some "creative editing mistakes" and basically said it's a "fake". I'll post that forum link once I find it.

Edit: One true test will be if any "legitimate" review sites notice the same behavior. :smile2:

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. Might have been lost in translation, but they explicitly state that this is the case with both BIOSes. Which would indicate that Sapphire upped the clock but not the power limitde.
Did they explain how they managed to overcome the 1.15V limit imposed by default on the 480?
If they did not then it does seem they have a golden GPU there as the next best I have read (that is limited to below 1.15V as they show voltage) is 1405MHz, and they also mentioned definitely loud to keep cool.
OCUK who have the card mention that the TriXX software is required to overcome that 1.15V limit if doing it in a more standard way (outside of modded bios/diy changes/etc), caveat is they think it will have that function anyway.
Fingers crossed they do as maybe it will force Nvidia/AIB partners to also approach this in a better way and make their 1.1V default ceiling also configurable without modded bios; well if that is even possible and still not entirely convinced about TriXX but will be great if they can.
Thanks

AMD Radeon RX 470 to launch on August 4th, RX 460 on July 28th?

AMD-Radeon-RX-470-RX-460-launch-dates.png

http://videocardz.com/62642/amd-radeon-rx-470-to-launch-on-august-4th-rx-460-on-july-28th

Oh dear AMD what im gonna do with you... I asked AMD "If I could buy an rx480 on Amazon that would be great. I want to give you my money, why you dont want to take it?" via twitter. And guess what, they linked me a 340 dollar card...seriously?

Oh dear AMD what im gonna do with you... I asked AMD "If I could buy an rx480 on Amazon that would be great. I want to give you my money, why you dont want to take it?" via twitter. And guess what, they linked me a 340 dollar card...seriously?

To be fair, you didn't say how much money you wanted to give to them. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back