Need help to kick start my learning of 3D rendering

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this space and I would like to learn and pick up more on 3D rendering especially for architecture.

Can anyone help to advise the following:
1. I learned about 3ds Max, V-Ray, SketchUp and Revit. May I know which should I start first and where can I get them?

2. Are there any online materials that I can use to learn by myself or online training or training centre? Or books?

3. I was told that the software can be fairly expensive, is there any option for newbie to use any 2nd hand software or cheaper rate for academic?

4. Any good reference sites or material that I can use to read prior to the software?

Thanks

By 3D rendering for architecture, i suppose you mean "architecture visualisation", or Archviz as commonlly called, Autocad and Autocad revit are both tools used for design house by architectes and architectures offices ( Revit is a BIM software, its even a bit different), but if the draws created by them are used as a base, if you want 3D visualtion only,
or best quality render, softwares as 3Dmax, Blender ( who is 100% free and opensource ) , Modo is the way to go then. ( but thoses are 3D modeling softwares ).

Note, all Autodesk softwares can be acquired freely under student licence too ( create an account in Autodesk, choose your version, of Maya, 3Dmax, Autocad, Revit " with version " etc ). There's no limitation, outside to dont use them for commercial manner ( but if you learn, its perfect ).

If you start with 3D modelisation softwares, as 3Dmax and Blender, ofc, thoses softwares are not only dedicated to 3D architecte visualization, you willl learn how work thoses tools and learn 3D modelisations.

Note, for every software, theres plenty of free tutorials ( and pay one ) on internet, youtubes and others.

Its a bit tought to start only by that, i will categorize peoples who do that as professional in 2 ways: the architectes, house building engineer ( as me ) who design house, use Autocad, Revit and then have learn 3D rendering, modelisation for create beautyfull render of them for show them to their clients and have a base of discussion on the design aspect of it. ( or in my case, more on a techincal question ).

Then you have the 3D artists, who design any project in 3D and like architecture and decide to use their talent for architectural projects. So if they use 3Dmax for it, it is because they know the software.

Honestly it is a bit complicate to respond to you wtihout knowing your background with 3D or even architecture.

Honestly i dont use Sketchup, but i can imagine it can be a good tool for learn, then maybe goes to something else when you are a bit more accomodate with 3D modeling tools.

Last edited:
Honestly i dont use Sketchup, but i can imagine it can be a good tool for learn

It's also really good for making "sketches" so to speak.

Nice for doing early discussion with the client. Or if you got rich client with very strong will that won't waver and want to see you make changes so fast, like a magic.

But if Dreams came out on ps4. I think that will become much better "sketch" tool.

Stuff that need multiple tool and click on sketchup, only need one click and easy drags in dreams.

It's also really good for making "sketches" so to speak.

Nice for doing early discussion with the client. Or if you got rich client with very strong will that won't waver and want to see you make changes so fast, like a magic.

But if Dreams came out on ps4. I think that will become much better "sketch" tool.

Stuff that need multiple tool and click on sketchup, only need one click and easy drags in dreams.

Honestly, im an old school guy on this front, i have start with Autocad in an building engineer office in 1991, under DOS Autocad version ( i have so much diploma from Autodesk, that i could surely cover my house with them ), then i have offcourse use Revit ( with now with one click, you create a VR interactive vist of an house ) , solidwoks and other BIM integration softwares, during this time, i moved to 3Dmax and Maya for pure render and simulation ( as it was the more easy, in term of compatibility from Autocad ) now i have some real fun with Blender ( who is becoming so damn good and versatile ( and it is a cool software above all ) .

So im a bit in doubt when i try to respond to the question " what i need to learn now" .. as my background is first based on my own professional experiences and then what i see on different 3D forums structure. So when i see Sketchup or "dream" ( i have absolutely no idea what is dream ), im just.. hey, hum.. yeah.. what ? So, theres surely some easy way, easy software that i have not consider first.

Last edited:
Sketchup is pretty popular among students. But as mentioned, purelly for early drafts and such. Once the idea is more well defined, they always move to CAD.

Back