Formula 1 - 2016 Season

Yeah, smart. They would probably have lost anyway, and they would have had to spend effort and money on it which maybe could divert them from racing or developing their car.

Rosberg needs to get his shit together if he's going to win the WDC and I honestly believe that he probably isn't capable of stepping up another gear. Hamilton can be erratic and can swing in performance but his highs are higher than Rosberg's.

Regarding the Silverstone race, I was sad to see McLaren out of the points and I didn't like seeing Verstappen beating Ricciardo. Come on, Danny.

Slightly off topic but I didnt want to make a separate thread just for this. Does anyone have an account at "racingfor.me"? (Was formerly RacingUnderground)

I had an account there but I hadn't logged in for while. Now it wont let me log in..I think my account was deleted for inactivity. New registrations are invite only. Basically I'm looking for copies of the old and new F1 seasons since there's nothing available in my country. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

The decision is obviously also good news for Max Verstappen, who now takes second place ...

And make the controls more user friendly, i.e. less switches and more software to guard against incorrect settings. It's not like they couldn't have invested into this in the winter.

I also find it silly that the engine is tuned mid-race by engineers while the drivers are just monkeys

And make the controls more user friendly, i.e. less switches and more software to guard against incorrect settings. It's not like they couldn't have invested into this in the winter.

I also find it silly that the engine is tuned mid-race by engineers while the drivers are just monkeys

Probably controls are already pretty user friendly. Don't forget these guys have very little time to change settings and they need to do so while they driven 300+kmph shaking up and down inside the car. Just get in a go-kart and try to look at the steering while a couple of seconds at a time will still going quick. Not easy and a rental go kart won't even hit 60kmph.

Letting software take care of more things might be difficult as well. I'm not sure on the rules but I'm guessing the driver is supposed to drive and software is not allowed to automatically put a car in the right mode. Though that might be difficult to do anyway because the software won't know when a driver needs to save fuel or wants some extra power etc.

Engineers aren't tuning anything because they cannot send any information to the car from the pits. Any optimization has to be done by the driver.

Personally I think racing would be much more fun if we'd go back to the old days of having only a radio button and a engine switch button on the steering wheel but with all the technology that goes inside the current cars that is simply impossible.

I do think relaxing radio messages a bit would be a good thing. I don't want drivers to be told how to drive the car or on strategy but when the car is stuck in some kind of awkward mode I don't think its fair to expect a driver to figure that out while he's trying to race. Problems like Hamilton and Rosberg had should be allowed to be commented on by the engineers IMO.

No, controls aren't user friendly. There 2-3 are dials with ~10 positions each, plus some ~20 buttons additionally. Or our definitions of use friendliness disagree somewhere.

Saying it is impossible to simplify things for the current cars is just giving up. Why? It's not an easy task, sure
Rob Smedley at least partially acknowledged this point in a Sky interview; he said that it's the engineers' job to make the settings accessible to the drivers.

The analogy I think I use in my mind for this is a programming one - assembler vs high level languages. You give up some performance when switching to a high level language but gain usability and accessibility.
My hunch is that making top - end technology more usable goes a mile towards the "roadcar relevance" objective of F1.

Last edited:
Anyone else remember when the cars used to run in the rain.

Pirelli need to sort their shit out, this is unacceptable.

Bridgestones ran during a monsoon at Malaysia one year FFS.

I know nothing of f1 but I've just been told 1%into the race that the race is over, say it ain't so

I do like Verstappen, but today he was a really unfair driver (against Kimi, two times) and I don't like that.

Congrats to Ham, perfect start and race. Ros did the best he could after losing the start, but no chance.

The dominance of Mercedes is really extreme...boo to all the other teams: get your shit together and fight back!

WTF is taking the stewards so long? Max needs to get penalty for moving twice around on defending

The dominance of Mercedes is really extreme...boo to all the other teams: get your shit together and fight back!
I'm sure they would love to, but at the moment they can't because of the limitations on engine development

It's easy to say it's all about the engine, but Mercedes introduced a raft of aero changes at Silverstone and made a massive jump over everyone yet again. Sure having the best engine helps, but it's not the only thing they have in their locker.

But isn't that the same argument they used last year?
Yes, because the very same limitations on engine development, and no, they couldn't bring up completely new engines for this season either, same tokens apply as midseason

edit: to clarify: ever since F1 moved to these Hybrid V6s, teams only got one chance to get it right, Mercedes succeeded in that (they were also the ones driving FIA towards Hybrid V6's IIRC). Ever since that change, all the teams can do is gradually upgrade the engines with limited tokens
It's actually pretty shocking how Honda failed in theirs, considering they didn't have the same token problem as everyone else before joining McLaren

Justice prevailed. Cheat Rosberg doesn't win. He doesn't like being reminded of it either. The post race comments were funny.

Rosberg is just getting schooled again. And his dubious actions means while people backed Webber against Vettel, most really don't give a shit about Rosberg.

Back