PS4 / DS4 controller related lag / latency issues

If you run the experiment like this:
1 have DS4 connected to speaker and USB-PS4, while playing audio
2 close the microwave lid
3 let music play for a minute
4 disconnect cable from PS4

The music will stop playing, correct?

Ah cmon... I already cleaned my microwave. I'm in no mood doing that again...

But now I'm curious. Although theoretically it should be no music after unplug.

Argh I dont want to clean the microwave agaaaaain.

@Rurouni nah, it probably came out as a nice black forest Dualshock4 shaped cake.

You have done enough! I will clean and use my microwave. Btw I will only put my video here, but you have to make a new one and submit it to reddit or a big tech site as this is new research and information. You will be remembered forever!! :D

Cool, microwave as a faraday cage :)

As for DS4 using the usb cable, I have no clue, that was a sloppy assumption on my part. But yay, to orangepelupa for doing this tests.

Really need to get a 2.4Ghz jammer, hmmm not legal to operate in this country, what to do.

yeah its a passive jamming :D

about active jamming,
how about jamming the 2.4 ghz freq using a bunch of bluetooth devices and wifi routers?

then using WiFI analyzer app on android, if all channels has become horrible, it should be horrible to DS4 too. Probably not enough to make it get disconnected but enough to make the audio cut in and out.

Since I am a packet capture kind of guy, if I had the time :/ I would go for a packet capture solution.

Something like this

http://www.security-sleuth.com/sleu...-and-cracking-bluetooth-with-the-ubertoothone

Just identify the DS4 mac address (its mac addresses on bluetooth to?) and then packet capture stuff between the PS4 and the DS4. Even if you do not decrypt the traffic you should be able to see the amount of traffic change if the traffic is sent over the usb cable instead.

Last edited:
what if it sends both? even when its connected wired, it also still sends via bluetooth.

so it can seamlessly change back and forth between USB and Bluetooth

Iirc, I believe someone at reddit already tried a packet capture thing and the controller is sending commands when using cable. That doesn't guarantee that the controller is using usb instead of bluetooth though since like orangpelupa said, it might send both.

I have a feeling that the controller will use bluetooth when available and only use usb when it can't connect through bluetooth.

Why would it send both? There should be a clear drop in bluetooth emissions when using wired signalling as those signals would be routed through USB.

Really need to get a 2.4Ghz jammer, hmmm not legal to operate in this country, what to do.
Put some paper lined with aluminium foil (paper side facing the circuit board, to avoid shorts) inside your DS4 controller. This should block bluetooth transmissions... :p

I don't know. Basically from what I read, PS4 still use bluetooth even when the controller is connected by cable. But we know that the controller can be used without bluetooth (at least on PC).
Maybe if the controller is in paired condition it will not change to wired connection and only use usb for charging. I also read somewhere (maybe reddit again?) that in order to use PS4 as wired controller, you need to start the PS4 with the controller plugged in.

Why would it send both? There should be a clear drop in bluetooth emissions when using wired signalling as those signals would be routed through USB.

The only reason I can think of would be redundancy. USB is naff when it comes to a secure physical connection and given the amount of movement some people apply to their controllers when playing games, cables pulling out of devices - particularly the micro-USB connector on the DS4 itself - isn't that difficult. Concurrent connections mean the controller carries on working without discontinuity. The PS4 suspends games automatically when it loses a controller, no big deal in single player games but perhaps an issue for multiplayer?

I really can't think of any other reason and Bluetooth is such low power continuing to maintain the wireless connection while tethered won't significantly impact charging.

Against my better judgment, ie I really do not have the time, but I got an excuse to order an ubertooth one, so we should be able to figure this out :)

maybe because its using standard bluetooth and simulatenously stream 2-way lag-free high quality audio? my audiophile friend even got surprised like.. his eyes were WIDE OPEN

when i told him he can listen wirelessly through DS4. he plugged his trusty headphone to DS4 (with that annoying look). BAM! his eyes wide open and keeps talking how awesome this is. No lag, pristine audio quality.

btw, xbox one also laggier than x360 according to The rise of tomb raider.
That's probably not due to the controller.

hi I'm first time commenting signed up especially for this thread.
Has this issue been fixed? I had the same problem and plugging it into the ps4 doesn't help. I was broadcasting a f1 2015 league race last night when it happened and it was plugged in at the time if you watch it and skip towards lap 13 at the end of the broadcast, when all of a sudden I crash into the wall and then further on the button wont work and I can't change gear.

Back