Nintendo GOing Forward.

Can someone do a permissions check between PokeMon Go and Ingress? Both are Geo-based games from Niantic (Google developer). PokeMon Go stops /gyms are based off the portals aaand information users submitted to Ingress. I would be surprised if the permissions are any different between the two.

Granted the user base for PG is substantially larger, so maybe thats why the outrage on permissions now as opposed to before.

I only looked very briefly at Ingress - when I saw it required a google account login I deleted the app off my iphone, so I never got a chance to see what permissions the app asked for. :p

I only looked very briefly at Ingress - when I saw it required a google account login I deleted the app off my iphone, so I never got a chance to see what permissions the app asked for. :p

The only thing more retarded than the required permissions (though in the case of GO most can be explained) is the fact that Japan still can't play GO. You can sideload the app but the world is empty.

There is a real Pokemon Center 20 minutes from my place for fuck sake, why didn't they prepare a shitload of servers? We've had a decade of big online launches (steam, games etc), by now you'd think companies would have a half decent idea of how much capacity they need and even if they didn't, how much effort is it these days to get some extra capacity from some cloud provider and turn on your VM's?

NintenDON'T.

NintenDON'T.
I'm chalking that up to Nintendo inexperience in the field of online gaming. Their biggest online hits so far have only had minor followings, comparatively speaking, and their entire general attitude to online has always been like someone discovering dog poop in their handbag - I don't think they've really WANTED to know how online gaming works.

It's like the curse of Hiroshi Yamauchi still haunting them from beyond the grave - "we did it this way when we were successful and it was great, so we're gonna do it this way now as well!"

It's only now they're being forced to move towards online, and they're forced to re-discover stuff they should already have known had they not been so damn reluctant. :p

Seeing the success of Pokemon GO shows how important it is for Nintendo to take mobile seriously, even PG itself is a pretty half-arsed game by Nintendo standards.
Mobile is the future of Nintendo, Does the NX have to flop for them to wake up to this inevitability?

Seeing the success of Pokemon GO shows how important it is for Nintendo to take mobile seriously, even PG itself is a pretty half-arsed game by Nintendo standards.
Mobile is the future of Nintendo, Does the NX have to flop for them to wake up to this inevitability?
It's not a Nintendo game.
Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon. (Only 32% of the Pokemon Company.)
AR games might be the future, mobile games... not so much.
I want a console in my home I already have a PC, I'm not interested in either MS nor Sony desktop PC lacking mouse & keyboard :p

Insanity market reactions 101,
Pokemon GO goes viral, ninty shares UP.
Nintendo makes an statement, as Roderic says, hey we´ve got just 32% of the Pokemon company, shares down....

Who make the trading decisions? Those HFT algorithms should know better

It's not a Nintendo game.
Nintendo doesn't own Pokemon. (Only 32% of the Pokemon Company.)
AR games might be the future, mobile games... not so much.
I want a console in my home I already have a PC, I'm not interested in either MS nor Sony desktop PC lacking mouse & keyboard :p
Who owns the rest of the Pokemon company? Is it publicly listed?

32% is a lot (where can we find this exact number BTW?) and there's definitely an exclusivity deal there, which makes all the difference.

Who owns the rest of the Pokemon company?
There's a wikipedia page about it... I checked it and one of the two other owners is the games developer of most, if not all the portable pokemon games released prior to Go, for example.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36880779

Shares in Nintendo have fallen sharply after the Japanese gaming giant said Pokemon Go's success would have a limited impact on its profits.

Nintendo shares dropped by 17.7% after they more than doubled in value since the game's launch on 6 July.

Pokemon Go was developed by US firm Niantic and Nintendo said profits from licensing and fees would be limited.

However, even with the decline, Nintendo shares are still up 60% since the release of Pokemon Go on 6 July.

Overall, Japanese shares were little moved, with the Nikkei 225 finishing flat at 16,620.29.

Nintendo said the accounting scheme for recognising revenues from Pokemon Go meant its profits would not materially change.

The sharp drop was the biggest decline since October 1990, leaving the stock down by 5,000 yen - the maximum daily limit allowed.

The gaming company is due to report first-quarter results this week and said it did not plan to revise its earnings outlook for now.

It was always apparent that they wouldn't make much money from PG as they are virtually uninvolved in all of their mobile partnerships.
The game just shows the potential of their intellectual properties, imagine the monthly revenue(if they made the games in-house).

Seems like it's a little more complicated than that, Nintendo, Creatures and Game Freak each own a third of The Pokemon Company, and Nintendo owns Creatures & is majority stakeholder of Game Freak (51%).
I don't know how they split revenue though, neither how it works between The Pokemon Company and Niantic...

Mobile is a fad. Soon enough people will be back to using tethered phones and paper mail. Let Niantic compete in that red ocean.
You never saw anyone stumble into a fountain writing a letter with a pen and paper! *shakes curmudgeonly fist at all these silly young people*

Insanity market reactions 101,
Pokemon GO goes viral, ninty shares UP.
Nintendo makes an statement, as Roderic says, hey we´ve got just 32% of the Pokemon company, shares down....

Who make the trading decisions? Those HFT algorithms should know better

Not sure on knowing but you can bet your ass they profited sufficiently.

Not sure on knowing but you can bet your ass they profited sufficiently.
Nope. That's not what their financial statement says. It would be illegal for them to lie there.

Back