The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Homosexual men, or heterosexual women would probably see no point in the game and find it stupid
Why. It would work pretty well, just replace the girl with a guy. I'd find it quite fun. And making fun at specific types of people, if done right, is very funny. See GTA games.

I did think of reversing roles, but I think it would be a tottaly different game. The settings and stereotypes I described are very specific to guy-girl situations. Mostly, your common bro, and the common hot gf type people.
To get the same effects from a homosexual couple, we'd be talking about a whole differet slew of stereotypes, along with diferent settings, situations, etc. The game I described is very reliant on theatrical and well coreographed situations. They'd be totaly diferent for the gay guy mode, so I think it would be better handled as a different version of the game all-together.

As for a man nagging his gf for looking at other men... I don't think that is very common. Not that there aren't annoying bfs out there, and opressive men. But it usually manifests in very diferent ways.

And making fun at specific types of people, if done right, is very funny. See GTA games.

And GTA got a big backlash from feminists, so yeah, I guess it proves my point.

Looks like they've been seriously hurt by Sony's Move patents!
Sony have lots of shapes in their move controller patents, but they didn't patent "monstrously weird angular mushroom" :LOL:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120302347.pdf
Fullscreen_capture_30112012_110358.jpg.jpg

Engineer : "We tested 16 shapes, and the sphere is ideal"
Executive : "Patent all the shapes anyway!"

Last edited:
Its interesting to me that sony got patents on that. Isn't mocap the same thing with light balls all over your body and capture and tracked by cameras ?

Hello? That's exactly why it would work! :runaway:

I mean, the obstacles for the hetero guy version of the game, would be like a girl droping something on the ground allowing you to see a bit of her but from her skirt.
You can't just change her model for that of a guy and have the game still work. You'd need different animations, and probably a lot of the situations would be different. I think of guys fixing car engines on dirty wife beaters, or strong policemen hahahhaha. Its a completely diferent game, for different publics.

Its interesting to me that sony got patents on that. Isn't mocap the same thing with light balls all over your body and capture and tracked by cameras ?
Patents aren't awarded on merit! But tracking a glowing ball is actually unique. It uses the size of the sphere which is different to other trackings that just use distant between known points.
Are they light balls or just white balls?
Just plastic balls, no active lighting. That's actually something I thought they could try differently. Use IR LEDs that won't colour the clothing but will be detectable via video. Could probably get away with them being much smaller too. But the future is likely TOF cameras and there's possibly little point in developing the passive alternatives now.

No it's different. Mocap is usually using strong infrared light to illuminate trackers (tiny balls, or dot stickers). and it's triangulated with multiple cameras. It's not perfectly robust and needs some work to retarget it on geometry (and then the animators throw away 90% of the data and animate it correctly, despite not getting the credit they deserve)

Move is using accelerometers, gyros, magnetometers, and a single camera to track a colored light sphere, and the shape of the object is an important aspect to allow precise tracking, so is the shape of the front led on the DS4 controller. Richard Marks did a GDC presentation in 2001 about using the eyetoy to track a sphere of a known size and color.

Also, I was joking. Valve is obviously showing a very crude prototype, there's no way this controller will be shaped like a nasty blunt weapon, or someone will lose an eye on day one. It will probably be rounded like the HMD.

Microsoft released the RoomAlive Toolkit on GitHub...

As highlighted during the Build 2015 Conference, Microsoft is more committed than ever to delivering innovative software, services, and devices that are changing the way people use technology and opening up new scenarios for developers. Perhaps no software reflects that commitment better than the RoomAlive Toolkit, whose release was announced Thursday, April 30, in a Build 2015 talk. The toolkit is now available for download on GitHub.

The RoomAlive Toolkit enables developers to network one or more Kinect sensors to one or more projectors and, by so doing, to project interactive experiences across the surfaces of an entire room. The toolkit provides everything needed to do interactive projection mapping, which enables an entirely new level of engagement, in which interactive content can come to virtual life on the walls, the floor, and the furniture. Imagine turning a living room into a holodeck or a factory floor—the RoomAlive toolkit makes such scenarios possible.

The most basic setup for the toolkit requires one projector linked to one of the latest Kinect sensors. But why limit yourself to just one each? Experiences become larger and more immersive with the addition of more Kinect sensors and projectors and the RoomAlive toolkit provides what you need to get everything setup and calibrated.

While the most obvious use for the RoomAlive Toolkit is the creation of enhanced gaming experiences, its almost magical capabilities could be a game-changer in retail displays, art installations, and educational applications. The toolkit derives from the IllumiRoom and RoomAlive projects developed by Microsoft Research.

Over the next several weeks, we will be releasing demo videos that show developers how to calibrate the data from multiple Kinect sensors and how to use the software and tools to create their own projection mapping scenarios. In the meantime, you can get a sense of the creative potential of the RoomAlive Toolkit in the video onWobble, which shows how a room’s objects can be manipulated for special effects, and the video on 3D Objectvideos, which shows how virtual objects can be added to the room. Both of these effects are part of the toolkit’s sample app. And please share your feedback, issues, and suggestions over at the project’s home on GitHub.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwi...roomalive-toolkit-unveiled-at-build-2015.aspx

EDIT: Engadget has a couple videos...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/02/microsoft-roomalive-toolkit/?a_dgi=aolshare_reddit

Tommy McClain

I still say IMU controls are just as standard as dual analog controls in gaming now. If the new Apple TV is successful it will only further my point. I just hope that some bigger devs try to make games around the IMU controls.

http://vrfocus.com/archives/21418/u...g-universal-motion-controller-implementation/

UNREAL ENGINE 4.10 TO BRING ‘UNIVERSAL MOTION CONTROLLER IMPLEMENTATION’

Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 4 is receiving updates at a rate not expected by the development community. New features are currently being added regularly, and the next update will make for a paradigm shift in virtual reality (VR) development,VRFocus has learned, with the implementation of ‘universal motion controller implementation’.

This update will allow developers working on VR videogames and software to design experiences based around motion controller input, such as the PlayStation Move, HTC Vive’s controllers and the forthcoming Oculus Touch, with just a single language. Furthermore, the update won’t be an add-on or plug-in that requires additional content to be downloaded, but fundamentally integrated into Unreal Engine 4.10.

No release date has yet been set for Unreal Engine 4.10, though a number of developers with early access to the next update suspect it will arrive sooner than most expect. Unreal Engine 4.9 only launched earlier this month, so could we be moving into a period of monthly updates for Unreal Engine 4? VRFocus will keep you updated as more is learned about Epic Games’ plans for the high-end videogame development platform.

-END-

http://vrfocus.com/archives/23013/microsoft-reveals-hololens-videogame-controller/

Microsoft’s HoloLens was unveiled back in January of this year, and since then has regularly been linked to areas outside of videogaming. Today however, Microsoft made strides forward in the world of hologram-based entertainment, revealing a new controller specifically designed for HoloLens videogames.

The currently unnamed device was billed by Microsoft as a ‘wearable hologram’. At present it appears as though it’s a simple communicator held in the hand that relays to the HoloLens itself, allowing for holograms to be projected onto the device. However, very few details are available aside from the imagery included on this page. Software is being developed specifically for the device, which VRFocus will report back on in the very near future.

hololens_controller_2.jpg

The Pokemon Go craze shows why HMD setups like VR or Hololens will be niche products.

This mass sensation took off because there was minimal friction for people to join in on the huge hype around this thing.

If it was relegated to HMD device, it would never have taken off like it has. It would not have prompted tens of millions in device sales, either.

Word of mouth spread and people learned they could check it out on a device they already had, not one they'd have to buy or horrors, one limited to narrow uses.

VR and Hololens devices will advance a state of the art for a segment of the market who are willing to deal with the expense and hassle of using these devices but these will never be massive products.

Now you would expect more AR games playable on regular modern smartphones to come along. If a couple other of these catch on, development of AR content would target regular mobile devices rather than specialized HMD devices.

Of course an ubiquitous mobile device trumps dedicated and "expensive" first wave of VR/AR devices.

But in the long run, cordless, self-contained, lighter and streamlined VR/AR will be more convenient than running around the city staring at your palm...

E-Lenses (terminator style) in 20/30 years, in time for Pokemon GO VII

Last edited:
The Pokemon Go craze shows why HMD setups like VR or Hololens will be niche products.

This mass sensation took off because there was minimal friction for people to join in on the huge hype around this thing.

If it was relegated to HMD device, it would never have taken off like it has. It would not have prompted tens of millions in device sales, either.

Word of mouth spread and people learned they could check it out on a device they already had, not one they'd have to buy or horrors, one limited to narrow uses.

VR and Hololens devices will advance a state of the art for a segment of the market who are willing to deal with the expense and hassle of using these devices but these will never be massive products.

Now you would expect more AR games playable on regular modern smartphones to come along. If a couple other of these catch on, development of AR content would target regular mobile devices rather than specialized HMD devices.

Amazingly short sited. How is any different than the advent of Television in the age of Radio?

VR is a new medium, I'm absolutely convinced of that. As such it will stand the test of time, and create experiences that will absolutely become mainstream. Also, as such, your comparison to a mobile phone app just makes no sense whatsoever. It's like holding up a hit radio show, and using it as evidence as to why the entire medium of Television is a dead-end. There's no logic there.

Who wouldn't want to watch the Superbowl or World Cup from midfield and feel like they are really there? Or join an aerobic's class with other people, in the comfort of your home? Travel to Everest, Egypt, Stonehenge, something previosuly reserved for just a tiny percentage of the population.

There are endless possibilities for experience that any layman in the world would enjoy.

Thats actually one of the coolest features of VR, it appeals to way more people than traditional 2d gaming. I've showed off the VIVE to tons of parents/non-gamers, and they all said they wanted one, that they would use it, and they visibly had an absolute blast. These are people who wouldn't spend 10 seconds at a Console or PC playing a 'video game', but since VR is all about muscle memory, movement, and physical skill, it appeals to them on a very base level.

Last edited:
Maybe we'll have occluders on AR glasses to use them in VR ;)
Been saying for a while AR is the future, VR a gimmick.

Completely disagree. AR only adds on the current world, which is not that exciting, and fairly limited in actual scope... I mean at the end of the day, reality is pretty boring. We've been there, we've done that.

VR opens to the door to literally any world you can imagine, you can be any where, you can do anything, things you could never dream of in the boring 'real world'. It offers literally limiteless scope of experiences that can be created.

Once the headsets are wireless, lighter, and more affordable, look out...

Completely disagree.
oh but you're not thinking of the possibilities, imagine walking down the road and an ad pops up in your view saying doritos are 25% off at the current shop or you're at a ballgame and up pops an arrow saying beer that way the queue is empty for $4, oh the possibilites.
Um yes VR trumps AR, sure in 20 years I can see lots of ppl with AR enabled AR but for the experience its like comparing driving a Skoda to a Lamborghini

Back